**** DONE: GB-52 1:48 Boeing B-29 - Heavy Hitters IV

Thanks gents. The final battle continues. The stabilizers were added two days ago. Tube glue was used first to get some hold and after about 10 minutes I could let go and flood the seams with TET. After about five minutes I could let go and set aside to dry. Two hours later I repeated on the other side and let it dry over night. Yesterday was spent doing the largest masking job I have done to date. Today was a washout as I was in PG getting my headlights converted to LEDS. Changing headlight in my car involves removing the tires and inner fender linings. After the entertaining Leafs/Wings game I attacked the left wing using the above method but I had to get the wife to apply the TET. This is the only way I could let it set up to preserve the dihedral.

IMG_1739.JPG

​
I'll hit the left wing tomorrow. Hopefully I can spray the OD tomorrow night or Monday morning. Doubtful I can finish in the allotted time as I head back to camp on Tuesday and won't get home until Mar. 09
 
Sure is a monster!
I don't remember having alignment trouble with it when I built it but that was back after it was first released so the molds are probably showing their age
 
Thanks Andy. Hosed it down with a full bottled of Tamiya XF-62 Olive Drab for a solid 90 minutes. This was a colossal pain in the keester, trying to wield the model about, trying to keep it in the small light source I have. I was just about to remove the masks after cleaning out the AB and noticed I missed a few spots on the left leading edge. Re-spray and re-clean. I removed the masks from the right leading edge, where the de-icer boots boots were removed. Pretty stoked that after two weeks of being under masking tape, no Vallejo paint had lifted. As I moved to the rear I noticed that I had missed spots around the rear gun turret and stabs......sigh. I'll redo this after lunch
 
I didn't redo as I wanted to remove the masking to look for bleed under/over and lifted paint. I'm very happy to say I only need to touch up about three square centimetres of paint, including that mentioned above, about three square millimetres of aluminum and even though there was about an acre and a half of masking tape, absolutely no paint lift.

IMG_1743.JPG


IMG_1746.JPG

​
Am I happy with this? No!!! A few seams are going to be showing and the lower left canopy section must have popped lose over the last fort night. I'll carry on when I get home next week.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back