**** DONE : GB-53 1/48 Yak-3 - Eastern Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm now questioning the wheel well colours called up by Zvezda (dark grey). The inner gear doors appear to be much lighter in colour on this B&W period pic from Yak-3, S.I. Rogovoi, 64 giap, 4 giad

Pict16.jpg

Walkaround pics here IPMS Nederland - Walk around - Yakovlev YAK-3 suggest the inners door to be a light blue and I'd guess it to be the same as the AMT-7 undersides. Thoughts?

I'm now questioning the wheel well colours called up by Zvezda (dark grey). The inner gear doors appear to be much lighter in colour on this B&W period pic from Yak-3, S.I. Rogovoi, 64 giap, 4 giad

View attachment 668128

Walkaround pics here IPMS Nederland - Walk around - Yakovlev YAK-3 suggest the inners door to be a light blue and I'd guess it to be the same as the AMT-7 undersides. Thoughts?

Actually there is no answer to the question Andy. The ligher appearance of the doors could have been caused by the snow and the light reflection. In a couple of pics of the Normandie-Niemen Yak-3s it can be noticed that the inner doors could be of a grey shiny metalic tone while the colour of the undersides is matt. It is possible that the grey or aluminium paint could be a kind of a gloss coat.

yak-3_04.jpg

yak-3_05.jpg

yak-3_06.jpg

yak-3_07.jpg

However the pic shows the colour there almost the same as the one for undersides. The

yak-3_08.jpg

The exibited Yak-3 presents the dark grey wheel bays but the doors of the underside coat. But the kite was repainted a couple of times IMHO. And the colour shouldn't be taken for granted. Anyway what coat you apply it can be fine as there is no evidence which one was there.

yak-3_09.jpg

the source for all pics the net.

Actually there is no answer to the question Andy. The ligher appearance of the doors could have been caused by the snow and the light reflection. In a couple of pics of the Normandie-Niemen Yak-3s it can be noticed that the inner doors could be of a grey shiny metalic tone while the colour of the undersides is matt. It is possible that the grey or aluminium paint could be a kind of a gloss coat.

View attachment 668132

the source for all pics the net.
Suddenly Vasilly thinks "We can make Rubles!!!! Parachutes for stadium seating"!!!!!

Sorry

Thanks again Gents.

The radio provided with the kit is a moulded in lump of plastic that looks too small:

22051302.jpg

Using references on line, I set about cutting off the lump and scratch built my own lump:

22051303.jpg

And with the paint:

22051301.jpg

I also need to scratch up some seat belts and will do that next.

On the rad flap, I noticed that the actuators are missing and so added them now with stretched sprue. I've found the easiest way to do this is to drill though the flap and fuselage and glue in the pieces. When dry, I cut back the stubs on the flap and sand the area smooth.

22051304.jpg

Apologies for the crap pics as I cropped these from larger mobile phone pics. Thanks again for looking in.

Very kind gents thanks. Second intermission in the Flames game so I will post another quickie. I scratched up a set of belts this evening using wine bottle foil and installed the kit's armoured glass. Cheers.

22051402.jpg
22051401.jpg

Thanks again gents. I decided to have some fun with adding what appear to be gun cocking or interrupter mechanisms based on the photos I posted above. The parts are seen in white:

22051802.jpg

Just before I took the above pic, I dropped my phone on the model and broke a bit of what I had done so I had to re-glue things. Below are the same parts, now painted. I only just noticed, after cropping this pic, that the phone drop also popped the port cowl framing out at the wing root so I will need to push that back in and secure it,

22051801.jpg

More soonish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back