**** DONE: GB-53 1:72 Focke Wulf Fw 189 - Eastern Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mmmm! not an easy task. Me thinks using some 1mm thick Evergreen card cut to shape for the crossover part of the leg and the straight part reinforced with half moon Evergreen rod. Worth a try. 🙃

Last edited:
Some end work on the landing gear. I wound some wire around the bottoms of the struts to mimic the dust boots over the oleos. The struts actuators were made from styrene strips. I taped the two together and hacked them out with a pin vise and exacto blade so they would have the same dimensions. They're......sort of accurate but look better than what was offered in the kit !

Fw-189 (25)r.jpg

Fw-189 (26)r.jpg

Does the war dept.ever ask what your working on ? Mine doesn't anymore. I can see I'm in for a fair bit of bondo work after test fitting everything together. The pilots seat is clearly too big and will need some voodoo to sit right. The tail wheel opening in the rear stabilizer needed some help. I carved out as much of it as I could without going through it and added some ribs. It's coming along, I'm sure some will ask " why" but I like scratch building !

Fw-189 (27)r.jpg

Fw-189 (30)r.jpg

Fw-189 (28)r.jpg

Nothing wrong with a bit of scratch. What was in the wheel housing, a bit of a lump from the mould ejector pin, not easy to move from such a confined space. :D

Well I have to admit, I kind of thought I bit off more than I could chew with this one but all in all I'm pretty happy with how it's going. Getting all the canopy bits lined up and glued up is going to be the tense bit !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back