**** DONE: GB-54 1:48 Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien - Pacific Theatre

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks again all. Still undecided on how to treat the gun ports. For interest, I've linked below a picture of 4424 posted at Britmodeller that shows the aircraft with the red/brown? patch at the stage before the aircraft received its final green mottles and when the wing guns had been removed.

52189062367_7c9bd03967_c.jpg

The patch over the gun port seems to me to be a slightly darker colour than the red star points that protrude from under it.

Anyway, the decals are now finished and a generous gloss coat has been applied in preparation for the mottling. I'm hoping that the gloss coat will give me a bit more leeway to fix any mottles that I stuff up.

22070302.jpg
22070303.jpg
22070301.jpg

I hope to start on the mottles tomorrow. Thanks for looking.

Very nice Andy. In your photo, the patch looks bolted/screwed in place or maybe its my eyes
They look to me like panel screws George which raises the question of the patch. Is it an applied patch like a huge decal that molds into the screw hole or has it in this instance, been painted on. An interesting conundrum. :D

Thanks again friends.

Port wing done - sorta. One of the mottles has had some of the green removed with a brush and IPA as it got a bit big. You can see where there are sharp edges to the mottle and this will be gone over again with the next load of green in my airbrush. I'm using Tamiya XF-13 J.A. Green per the instructions.

22070602.jpg
22070601.jpg

The full wing is about the limit for a load of paint in my H&S Ultra. Despite cleaning the tip every 3 or 4 mottles with an IPA soaked brush, things were getting a bit spluttery by the end so I'll need to manage the sessions and keep them short. Thanks again for following along.

Thanks chaps. Mottling is now finished and a matte coat has been sprayed on. First, a few small splatters where brushed off with a small brush loaded with IPA and a few touch-ups were done here and there to even out the bare metal gaps a bit. I tried to follow as best I could the patterns seen on all the available pics and am fairly happy with how this all turned out.

22070702.jpg
22070703.jpg

I ended up painting the gun patches a dark reddish brown as I think there is a distinction in the pics between the red star marks and what looks to be a slightly darker patch. I gave the benefit of the doubt to the colourized pic which shows a brownish patch so that's what I did. The gun muzzle still needs to be picked out in black.

22070704.jpg

The venturi was hollowed out at the flared end and glued in place:

22070701.jpg

I've now brushed on a patch of Future where the victory tally decal goes below the port side of the canopy and will wait a day before applying that decal. In the meantime, I've glued on the undercarriage and was disappointed to see that the flat marks on the tires don't end up where I'd like them to be so I'll need to do something about that. More on that later but that's all for today.

Thanks chaps. Mottling is now finished and a matte coat has been sprayed on. First, a few small splatters where brushed off with a small brush loaded with IPA and a few touch-ups were done here and there to even out the bare metal gaps a bit. I tried to follow as best I could the patterns seen on all the available pics and am fairly happy with how this all turned out.

View attachment 676750View attachment 676751

I ended up painting the gun patches a dark reddish brown as I think there is a distinction in the pics between the red star marks and what looks to be a slightly darker patch. I gave the benefit of the doubt to the colourized pic which shows a brownish patch so that's what I did. The gun muzzle still needs to be picked out in black.

View attachment 676752

The venturi was hollowed out at the flared end and glued in place:

View attachment 676749

I've now brushed on a patch of Future where the victory tally decal goes below the port side of the canopy and will wait a day before applying that decal. In the meantime, I've glued on the undercarriage and was disappointed to see that the flat marks on the tires don't end up where I'd like them to be so I'll need to do something about that. More on that later but that's all for today.
Great Job! Since I know the exact size of the model, yours looks like 1:24 or bigger on the photos. o_O In fact the real mottling is much smaller.
How exactly do you do it: do you first make a "cloud" with the airbrush and then fill it with paint or do you start with a "scribble" and then make it bigger to its outside borders?
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back