**** DONE: GB-56 1/48 P-47N - Thunderbolts and Lightnings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, tell you what......... I ain't happy with the results of my NMF on the gear doors,
too Dark, black showing thru and just couldn't get that to go away.
So I did a test with many different colors as a base.
All Tamiya rattle cans. 2nd from left is a rather light blue, no idea what I used it on, maybe my SH-3A Helo interior.
GB56 51.jpg

Honestly, I think WHITE worked the best on All of them. Don't know what this black undercoat is all about.
#3 is SMS Super Silver and is why this all came about. Just bent on using an Aussie made product.
Not sure what happened to 1 & 2, Al Clad but they sure went south on the black. Funny because it's what I
used on a build that looked fine. Must be how I was biting my tongue. But proves if I want darker, just use darker under.
So I will go back and repaint this Jug with a white undercoat, and maybe OD for the gun bay doors.
The sheet metal around the exhaust in front of the tail wheel appears to be stainless so maybe Black under that?
So it goes!
GB56 52.jpg

Attachments

• GB56 51.jpg
    GB56 51.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 12
  • GB56 52.jpg
    GB56 52.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 10
Nice experiment Bill. I think the idea of a black base coat applies mostly to a highly polished chrome finish but it certainly can be used in other instances. I've seen interesting effects achieved using different masked base coat colours with a single nmf color as opposed to a single prime coat and multiple nmf's.

Well as I posted I repainted the fuselage Tamiya spray White, except for the gun bay doors.
The results? The black doors were a bit more mirror like,
the rest I had to do more coats of ALCLAD Polished Aluminam, as over white I started to get mother of pearl colors.
Sure is bright tho, gonna leave her this way, weathering may alter the color.
Now masking for the nose and tail colors. Nose is red with a thin black line Inboard.
Tail is Yellow with the same thin black line, inboard. Will paint black first.
As for the code "C7" I will have to hand cut the two masks, cost of doing just these for decals....... pfffft.
GB56 53.jpg

Looks good Bill. You ever thought of printing your own decals? :D
Well, first off a printer would run me a couple thousand Vic.........
If I could, boy-o-boy would I.......
often times the cost of my decals creeps up on the price of the kit.
Most times about 50 bucks Oz, and I am doing the artwork.
The prints I do get at 50 are very good quality but not sure he's doing a big volume of printing.

I often thought doing museum A/C sets would be a bit Fun.
I have everything for HARS C-47, CONNIE, even the Bf-108, Cat, and Caribou for starters. Not a great volume of printing tho.

I have done decals on a simple Bubble Jet printer in the past, I've just done the same decal a couple or more times, let the print fully dry then over paint with something like Liquid Decal Film. When applying to the model, lay the first decal, let it settle and then overlay it with the second identical decal. This helps to give depth to the colour that the bubble printing lacks. :D

Last edited:
But would it work to your standards? And yes you do know about good stuff. I have seen your work :)

I havent got the foggiest. A laser printer is not half as expensive as the ones the one mentioned here. Just curious.
I do the artwork for my custom printed decals, more often than not.
It's an affliction I have. Most of what I do are of planes never having decal available.
I've never tried printing my own, most need white in them somewhere Like my C-47.
The next GB I am doing a Mk.Vb with American flags within the side codes, there is white!
Things is, too, I would want to do custom stuff for others, here on the forum mainly.
Having done some for others already I can see where it takes a lot of time to create the artwork.

I digress....................... Got some color onner. Just waiting to do the black stripe at the tail.
GB56 54.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back