**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf110G-4 - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks so much chaps. Sooooo... the squiggles. I used up all the available space on the inside of my Ki-84 wing part as a test mule for the squiggles. Started with very thin paint to thinner ratio and as low a pressure as I could get. I had to add more paint to get better results. I don't know where I ended up but I did have to increase the pressure to about 12 psi to get the spray to go consistently.

23090102.jpg

Even so, I couldn't get an extremely fine, pencil-thin line to spray consistently but ultimately decided to bite the bullet and start on the model. I started with the inside of one of the fins and, when satisfied, moved to the outside. Much courage was exercised in that decision! The green used to simulate RLM 81 or 83 was Tamiya XF-61 Dark Green. Looks a bit of a mess when close up but keep in mind the fin is only about 25mm (one inch) wide.

23090105.jpg

I then just continued on. After the paint ran out of the cup, I mixed up a new batch but had a hard time getting the same spray properties.

23090104.jpg
23090101.jpg
23090106.jpg

After this session, with paint left in the cup, I started on the much larger random waves on the wing tops. When I ran out of paint, I stopped to gather my breath.

23090103.jpg

So, all in all, I think achieving realistic tight squiggles to scale was beyond my current abilities and I may have been limited by my 0.2mm nozzle. I rather think, though, that I could get a little more out of my brush with more practice before blaming my equipment. That said, the overall effect is acceptable and I achieved what I wanted to - to stretch my capabilities and see how tight a pattern I could get.

Next, I'll finish the green off and then apply the rest of the insignias.

A great effort on a very difficult camouflage. I've done a few wellenmuster and squiggle patterns so I know how it feels. Very exhausting work. Well done.

Thanks gents, I appreciate the comments and your honesty.

Today, I masked the yellow B's and shot the paint (Tamiya yellow with a pinprick of red over a white base).

23090401.jpg

I've not peeled the mask yet as I want the paint to dry for a while first. Getting the tiny D-shaped masks positioned properly is tough. However, the black outline will hopefully hide any inaccuracies. The black outlines will be made using the below home made decals that will also be used for the 9K code as well as the W. Nr. These were created in Adobe Illustrator and printed onto decal paper.

23090402.jpg

I'm allowing these decals to dry for a couple of days before I apply the clear coat as I've had trouble with my Testor's decal preserver coat dissolving the inks a bit in the past. I really don't want that to happen this time.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks again friends. Today, the B mask was peeled and the O was masked and sprayed. The B awaits the black outline decal, which I sprayed with a clear coat this morning and will allow to cure. Note that the stencil decal has peeled off - will need to fix that.

23090503.jpg

On the underside, the yellow V insignia, which was applied to the Luftflotte 4 aircraft in late 1944 and was later ordered removed, was painted in a haphazard way using the same green as the upper foliage camo. This is speculative, and I reasoned that they would have used what was easily at hand for this purpose. The reference pics seen elsewhere in this thread do show a dark remnant of the V.

23090501.jpg

The uppers have now been completed with the much larger waves on the main wings.

23090502.jpg

Next will be the application of the homemade decals - fingers crossed.

Thanks guys. Was all set to apply the decals and when the first one slid off the paper I realized that I printed them on white decal paper instead of clear! Dang it. Printed them again on clear so it'll be a day or two before the results will be known.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back