**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf110G-4 - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks A4K A4K Evan but it's not an issue. I already have the cross saved in my Cricut cutter files so it's just a matter of resizing the file to fit the scale and cutting a mask. I need to make masks for the BO letters anyway. The swastika has already been applied from my spares.

Decal status as of now. Using plenty of old Eduard Bf-110 decals for this. The wing crosses are from the Tamiya Fi156 kit.

23083001.jpg

Thank-you gentlemen. Last night I cut the masks for the fuselage crosses on my Cricut Explore Air 2 cutter using Oromask 810 vinyl as a material. While I was at it, I created the decal files for the Wk. Nr., "9W" and the "B" black outlines as well as the mask files for black "O" and the yellow portion of the "B" in Illustrator. More on that later as these will be applied after I tackle the dreaded squiggles. But before that, here's how the fuselage crosses went:

Close examination of the photos in post #1 shows that the cross was lined up on Frame 13 and so that's how I placed the mask. This stage is a bit tricky because the mask isn't transparent until it is stuck down. If it's misaligned, it needs to be peeled away and restuck and for this I found it useful to apply a piece of Scotch tape. Sometimes this involves several tries.

23083103.jpg

Once the mask is properly located, it's burnished down and sprayed white after more masking is applied around the edges to catch any overspray. Th small bit of tape at the bottom was needed to fix a torn corner where the cutter didn't quite penetrated completely.

23083104.jpg

The reveal showed no issues except for a barely visible bit of overspray that got under the masks near the bottom.

23083105.jpg

And so then it was on to applying the stencil decals. Yes, the photos showed that the frame numbers are visible. With these done, I also removed the mask for the yellow band.

23083101.jpg

So that's how it sits as of right now. I have more stenciling to finish on the other side and then I'll apply another gloss coat over everything before applying the squiggles. For those, I may look at getting some of those paint pens that Geo linked in another thread as I really don't see my airbrush getting down to such fine work. That said, I might give it a whirl on a mule to see how tight I can make them.

Thanks for looking in guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back