**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf110G-4 - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So I jammed the wings on last night. A very odd connection to the fuselage in that there is none of the usual slot and tab stuff, just a loosey-goosey butt joint affair that requires lots of careful alignment (below):

23062004.jpg

That said, the fit was pretty darn nice. I started with the longer bit (#1 above) and let the glue set for a bit. Then before it was completely set, I added the other side and fussed with the alignment until it all seemed right. I needed some small weights to make the thing sit properly and then let it set over night:

23062001.jpg

This morning I added the tail plane, making sure that it was parallel with the main wing axis. There's a bit of twist somewhere that will result in some needed levelling at the tail seam. You can also see that I added the landing light lens as I want to blend this into the fuselage properly - I usually forget about this and have to deal with it after I already painted the wing. The same will happen with the nav lights after the red and green bulb paint cures.

23062002.jpg

The setting glue on the wings allowed me to get the props together and start on the paint:

23062003.jpg

I used straight Tamiya XF-27 for the blades, which looks fine in real life but too light in the pictures but I've since gloss coated them which darkened them more.

Thanks for following along.

Thanks friends.. Assembled the props after painting the spinners. I painted them white first and then added some Tamiya bendy tape masking that was cut on a long taper. Started from the big end and worked toward the tip then left the mask short of the tight finishing spiral. The latter was painted by hand with an eye liner brush after the black was sprayed and the masks were stripped.

23062301.jpg

I'm a bit undecided on what to do with the back plate. Photos show this to be a lighter colour with no spiral extending into it:

download.jpg

EDIT: Just noticed the spiral in the pic goes the other way! WTF!?

Thanks guys. I may or may not fix that starboard spiral but in the meantime the light lenses have been blended in, polished, and clear coated:

23062602.jpg
23062603.jpg

I've also dipped all the canopy parts in Future and am slowly getting to the masking. Tedious stuff. Also tedious is the filling of various imperfections. The tail has a misalignment that resulted from trying to get the tailplane parallel to the main wing. The latter must not be exactly perpendicular to the fuselage and so the tail had to be twisted slightly to make it appear in sync with the wing. It's a small defect but noticeable and so needs some dressing up. Tamiya grey surface primer.

23062601.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back