**** DONE: GB-59 1/48 Nakajima Ki-84 - WW2 PTO V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

On August 14, 1945, two IJA ground crew were ordered to paint a silver Ki-84 in green camouflage pattern.
In the morning next day, one finished one third forward and the other also did one third afterward.
At the noon, Hirohito told them on the radio "War is over."

Are we still talking about the kite in the pic no.1? If we are ... it looks like the Hayate was painted with the Dark Green colour at tops. But it wasn't the standard overall applying. In a couple of shots with the Frank it may be noticed that the the green coat could be applied as the camo small patches. The number of them was increasing from the engine cowling to the tail getting the overall coat at the tail section. See the profile below. Also it may be noticed that the camo paint peeled off very easy just at the central part of the fusealge. It may be found in many pictures that the area at the cockpit both in the front of and behind it up to the tail got the intensive peeling very often. The same may be found at the trailing edge of the fin. If you look at the enlarged shot you also may notice the kind of damages to the camo. IMHO the maintenance crew tried to remove the NMF tone from the peeled off areas by applying of the thinned coat of non standard colour or just what they could find. Hence the smudges there. What is more , please pay your attention to the spinner seen at the foreground. It looks like the coat there was the same one seen on the fuselage. It could have been the olive green paint. For instance the "o-ryoku-shoku" that could be similar to the FS 34151 or 34088 or 34255. Also the FS 34082.
Just my opinion.

1.jpg

WatanabeRikyuKuraiHayate.jpg

the profile source: Nakajima Ki-84 "Hayate" (Frank) - Decals and markings pt. 3 - 1 Rensei Hikotai

" 1st Rensai-Hikotai at Nakatsu Air Base, Japan in 1945. The machine is finished in a heavily weathered very unusual finish comprising three distinct segments. The fuselage centre section is in a patchy light olive green, the forward fuselage and cowling is in a darker green mottling over natural metal whilst the rear fuselage is in a darker green with natural metal showing through. The wing sports white home defence bands. Spinner is in mid blue. Unit markings comprise white edged red bands around the rear fuselage and across the fin and rudder."

see here

ki 84 andy.jpg

Finally, a start. I think I said I wasn't going to go overboard detailing this one but my first tasks don't look that way. The kit seat is really bad...

23092002.jpg

...and since it will be visible through the closed canopy, I decided to take the axe to it. I lopped off part of the back rest, rounded the top, thinned the sides and back, drilled a bunch of holes, and added some details to doll the thing up. I'm not too fussed about the ejector pin mark in the pan as this will be covered by the lap belts that I will add.

23092005.jpg

I also said I'd try riveting the model and to do that, I pulled up some detailed plans on the laptop to start laying things out. That's when I noticed that Tamiya put the inner flap actuator fairing way too far inboard:

23092003.jpg

I decided to lop the thing off and make a new one out of card. Below is the left upper wing half with the new fairing added and some riveting started. The other wing upper is next to it with no rivets or fairing added yet.

23092004.jpg

The rivets are being added using a rivet tool that Terry gave me years ago. I tried to find a different one a few years back but ended up modifying the one that Terry gave me instead. The problem was that the contact point between wheel and plastic was hidden behind another part of the tool so I modified it to allow me to see what I'm doing. I start by drawing the rivet lines with a pencil and then running the riveter freehand along the lines. It works quite well.

23092001.jpg

This will keep me busy for a while but hopefully the effort will be worth it in the end. Thanks for your patience guys.

Ok, so I parked the project for more than a day. Been busy with Mossie stuff, having gone down to the museum three times in the last 5 days to look for some misplaced components. Anyway, I got about 3 hours of bench time in last night and finished riveting the wing uppers and the horizontal stabs. The model features an odd combination of recessed and raised panel lines so I went over the latter with a scalpel to recess them before adding the rivets. After all that was done, the surfaces were given a light sand to knock down the raised lines and the ridges made by the rivet wheel. Before painting, all of this will be given a scrub with a toothbrush and soapy water to make sure all the hollows are free of loose plastic.

23092501.jpg

23092502.jpg

Back when I have some more to show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back