**** DONE: MiG 21 PF 'Fishbed D', Moscow District PVO Aviation Fighter Regiment, 1967

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much indeed guys! I've enjoyed doing this model, and hadn't originally intended even making a base, but i think it'll look a lot better with some 'life' around it.
Vic, I think maybe the canopy opening method was designed by SAAB or FIAT, after seeing how their car bonnets (hood) open! Apparently, it was designed to jettison with the seat when ejecting, to act as a blast screen for the pilot. Not something I'd like to have anywhere near me if I had to punch out! I'm presuming it wasn't an ideal design feature, which probably lead to the revision of the canopy, with a 'traditional' windscreen and separate canopy, along with the KM seat for zero-zero use.

Thanks awfully old chap. I'll have them all - with the exception of anything to do with Hippocroccofrogs of course !!

Thanks very much my friend.
I've almost finished conveerting the two figures into a pilot and crew chief - just need to make some chocks and glue it all onto the base. Pics tomorrow night, hopefully.
Anyone know what colour overalls PVO ground crew wore? I'm going with a dark navy blue for now.

Thanks very much Matt. Try a 1/48th scale kit, but beware - you might get hooked!
The base is done, apart from the edge trimming, and the two figures are almost complete, bar a bit of touch-up here and there.
PIC 1. The base - a piece of MDF, with card from a kit box glued down, scored to represent the concrete slabs, and a light misting of a pink / grey mix sprayed over the top. The 'grass' is a strip of 'hairy mat' static grass, and the tyre marks, stains etc are just thin streaks of Tamiya 'Smoke'.
PIC 2. The Crew Chief and Pilot. The Crew Chief is a Tamiya Panzer Service Crew figure, assembled OOB and painted in what i hope is the right colours, based on B&W photos, whilst the Pilot is an old Esci pilot figure from the Ground Support kit (now available again under the Italeri lable). The survival vest and harness was filed off, and the 'bare' head removed, with a helmeted head from an Academy F86 Sabre kit glued in place, along with the oxygen mask from the same kit. The figure has been painted to represent the VK-3M grey flight suit, and the ZSh-3 helmet, with dark green visor.
Once the figures are fully dry, the areas requiring touch-up will be attended to, and then both figures fixed to the base with Suoerglue.
I'm currently working on some wheel chocks and, once done, the whole 'scene' will be posed on the base, and the model will be finished. Later tonight is the plan.....

Attachments

• MiG 21 275.jpg
    MiG 21 275.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 97
  • MiG 21 273.jpg
    MiG 21 273.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 94
Thanks guys. I've reached a stumbling block - my bl**dy right hand has virtually seized up, so i can't get anything done. Also, either there's a problem with the forum, or something has happened to prevent my compute from accessing pics. I can't see any pics in Wayne's new thread, and I'm having problems with pages refusing to load, or taking forever.
Ah well, I'll come back tomorrow then !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back