**** DONE: Mig-17F 'Fresco' NVAF Vietnam 1968

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Took the tape off this morning and I'm a very happy man,camo looks pretty good.:)
Pics later when I get home from work (damn work getting in the way of my fun..:evil:)
Cheers,
Tony.

Great job mate - and the masking? Rather you than me mate!
A little tip if you want a 'soft' edge and don't have an airbrush. This works up to 1/32nd scale, but is time consuming !
Mix together 50% of each cammo colour, example, 50% Green + 50% Sand. Then, depending on scale, use a 000 or 00000 brush, and paint this, follwing the line of the demarcation between the two cammo colours. It gives the appearance of soft overspray between the colours, especially after the gloss and matt clear coats.

What a great idea.8)

Bring on the revile :oops:

Here she is unmasked -

p1080284o.jpg

Bit rough in some areas but as the real things were hurriedly painted I doubt they would have been perfect.

p1080285.jpg

Underside of fuselage also has camo.Under wings and tail will be painted with a polished aluminium look as will be the fuel tanks and canopy.

p1080286k.jpg

Cockpit close-up.I added an extra instrument box above the main panel.

Next job is to assemble the wheels,paint the wheel bays and paint the underwings and canopy then it's decal time :)
Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Tony.

Update time -

Painted the underwings in 'polished aluminium'

p1080288.jpg

Fitted the wheels/undercarriage.wasn't sure of the exact colour of the wheel bays so I made up a mix of half and half,camouflage grey/matt white,looks very close to the reference pics I have.
Put a couple of decals on too.

p1080304.jpg

p1080305jh.jpg

I'm learning a lot on what not to do during this build :lol: For example,I'm now regretting glueing the wheel assemblies in as it now makes any detailing in the bays a pain.
I masked and painted the canopy,didn't turn out too bad aprt from some annoying smudges which I shall endeavour to remove using a non-acetone nail polish remover (it works on diecast model car windows which are also plastic so should work fine)

p1080300s.jpg

I painted the engine exhaust.Firstly gave it a base coat of matt black then a light,a;most dry brush of metal and burnt iron paints.

p1080314f.jpg

Now need to detail the wheel bays,finish the decals and add the remaining parts (e.g. fuel tanks)
Cheers,
Tony.

You could try a toothpick and a spot of car polish on the screens, then gently buff the plastic with a soft cloth. With luck the car polish will with the point of a toothpick will cut into the excess paint and the polish when buffed will bring back the shine to the screen. Try it on a spare piece of clear plastic first Tony, so that you get the feel.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Another update -

p1080347.jpg

I have made hydraulic hoses for the wheel bays using flywire wrapped in tamiya tape,then painted matt black.
Fuel tanks are on but need a paint touch-up.
The carpet monster appears to have eaten the landing light (at least I think that's what it is) so does anyone have any ideas for a replacement?
You can see where it needs to go in this next pic -

p1080345c.jpg

p1080346v.jpg

Almost finished this build now,all decals are now on.I now need to clean up that canopy and give the whole thing a matt varnish.
One big error I did make was not to put any weight in the nose so sadly,she's a tail sitter..:mad:
Cheers,
Tony.

Last edited:
I agree. For the landing lamp, use Micro Kristal Klear, or, if pushed, PVA. Drop a spot into the hole and let it set, when it should be clear, but 'dished'. If needed, paint this first drop silver (when set!), and apply another drop and let dry. Repeat as required and voila - one lamp lens!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back