**** DONE: MiG 21 PF 'Fishbed D', Moscow District PVO Aviation Fighter Regiment, 1967

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Almost done now. All of the small antenna etc are in place, and the forward cockpit area is now complete, just a few small details to finish, plus some tidying here and there, and she'll be done.
PIC 1. Both of the inner transparent side screens are in place and painted. Just need to add the ejection seat head guard / arming system and the canopy, which will be the final parts once the model is on the base.
PIC 2. The anti-buffet holes in the speed brake were drilled out, before fitting the brake and the actuator ram, slightly drooped.
PIC 3. Static vents have been added to each wing tip, made from stretched sprue, and the kit- supplied radio altimeter antenna added. These have yet to be painted.
PIC 4. The IFF blade aerials have been added under the nose, replacing the slightly thick moulded items snapped off earlier, and again, stretched and flattened sprue was used for these.
PIC 5. The pitot head and nose sensor probe have been fitted. The latter has yet to be sealed around the edges, and painted, after straightening the tip !
PIC 6. I decided to fit the Atol 'Soviet Sidewinders' afterall. The forward fins have been glued in place, and moulding seams removed from the body, and the tail fins thinned down. The rocket exhaust has been drilled out, with a piece of wire temporarily inserted to aid handling during painting. The strip of masking tape is to ensure a bare area, after painting, to help when gluing the missiles to the rails.
All that remains now is to finish building-up the navigation lights, using PVA and clear red and green paints, plus a few small bits here and there. If I have time, I'll make a boarding ladder, and place the model on a suitable base, possibly with the 'pilot' disembarking.
Thanks again for your interest and complimentary comments, and I should have the final pics in the next day or two - Physio Terrorist permitting (there again tomorrow) !!

Attachments

• MiG 21 230.jpg
    MiG 21 230.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 95
  • MiG 21 221.jpg
    MiG 21 221.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 99
  • MiG 21 222.jpg
    MiG 21 222.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 98
  • MiG 21 227.jpg
    MiG 21 227.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 104
  • MiG 21 236.jpg
    MiG 21 236.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 99
  • MiG 21 248.jpg
    MiG 21 248.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 89
Thanks very much guys, it's appreciated. Hope to get some more done tonight - if the Physio Terrorist doesn't work from Page 6 of the Irma Griese manual !!!

Thanks Wayne and Igor.
I'm back from being tortured - feel worse than before I b l**dy went! Hopefully, when the pain settles down, I'll get the final bits done.

The final small details are underway, and I'm just waiting for the base to set, before painting it, placing the model, and adding the finsihing touches.
PICS 1 and 2 Show the Atoll AAM's painted and fitted, and awaiting a semi-gloss clearcoat. Just visible in the second shot, above the missile on the wing leading edge, is one of the navigation lamps, awaiting colouring and a gloss clear coat. This was made by extruding a blob of PVA.
PICS 3 to 5 . The head guard has been fitted to the top of the ejection seat, and the canopy test fitted, ready for cementing in place. The head guard was folded down, horizontal over the pilot's head when the canopy was closed, which armed the seat.
PIC 6. The boarding ladder, an approximation of one of three styles seen so far, has been made from different gauges of plastic rod, and will be painted gloss red, with some paint wear on the rungs etc.
Hopefully, the next update will show the completed model on its base. Thanks again to you all for your support, interest, and kind comments during this build, it makes it all worthwhile.

Attachments

• MiG 21 258.jpg
    MiG 21 258.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 103
  • MiG 21 257.jpg
    MiG 21 257.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 113
  • MiG 21 261.jpg
    MiG 21 261.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 100
  • MiG 21 264.jpg
    MiG 21 264.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 129
  • MiG 21 253.jpg
    MiG 21 253.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 109
  • MiG 21 250.jpg
    MiG 21 250.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 106
happy0034.gif

Terry, that id tops mate and I know I'm showing my ignorance, but what an unusual canopy opening method.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back