**** DONE: MiG 21 PF 'Fishbed D', Moscow District PVO Aviation Fighter Regiment, 1967

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Igor, and yes, it's Hungarian - I forgot to add that! The overall colour scheme was interesting - a sort of pale gold, with a hint of silver (the wheel-bay doors are a more 'dense' gold colour, which matches the standard colour seen on Soviet MiG 21's.) The information board in front of the aircraft didn't mention the colour scheme, and I wonder if it was part of a display team or something at one time?

Terry , you have to be very careful of the Academy kit.I know there are parts for the PF variant but the kit is for MF version of MiG-21 basicly. The main problem is the rear area of the kit.This is a part for MF type but not the PF one. Also pay your attention to flaps.These for PF version should be fixed in different way than those with SPS system ( unless it is going to be the MiG-21 PFS type.)The underside fillet should be with the container for the parachute .The container at the fin root is characteristic for PFS/PFM and later MiG-21 variants.Also the pilot ejected seat for PF/PFS/early PFM was of SK-1 type but not KM-1 that replaced the SK seat with later PFM type of the MiG-21 .

Concerning the silver colour of the MiG-21. The one in the museum looks great but it looks like a prototype rather than the plane used operationally by squadrons.In fact MiG-21s were painted with the mixture of gloss dope and a silver dust.As a result these aircraft got the solid silver gloss covering.The tonality of the second one I mean the Hungarian MiG might have been caused by getting yellowish tonality of the dope due to the time.But we should ask about it A4K I think.

Thanks Wojtek. So far, all the parts look correct for the PF (Fishbed D) version, although I haven't checked the flaps yet. There are two vertical stabilsers, to enable late and early types. The canopy is definietely the forward opening type, and not the side hinged one of later marks, and the ejection seat provided is the early type, with the arming plate on top. Basically, it looks like the Hungarian MiG in my pics !
I know the other Academy kit has some inaccuracies, (the PFM) but this one seems ok. I will check it out thoroughly though, so thanks for the warning !!

Great photos Terry!

Unfortunately I'm not an expert at all on Hungarian aircraft schemes - I didn't know they were gloss doped till Wojtek mentioned it. Hitherto only read they were finished in 'one-tone metal paint finish', before re-introduction of the camouflage scheme in the 1970's.
I do know some are exceptionally shiny in photos, almost as if they were silver - this may well be caused by sun glinting off a fresh gloss dope coating as he mentioned.

Not having seen any photos of Gold coloured Magyar MiGs ( - there was a Golden (Russian?) MiG 21), I'm inclined to agree with him too that this is an effect of deterioration of the paint or dope, though maybe one of our Hungarian members can help us out here?

Last edited:
Thanks Wojtek. So far, all the parts look correct for the PF (Fishbed D) version, although I haven't checked the flaps yet. There are two vertical stabilsers, to enable late and early types. The canopy is definietely the forward opening type, and not the side hinged one of later marks, and the ejection seat provided is the early type, with the arming plate on top. Basically, it looks like the Hungarian MiG in my pics !
I know the other Academy kit has some inaccuracies, (the PFM) but this one seems ok. I will check it out thoroughly though, so thanks for the warning !!

You are welcome Terry. My answer has just been sent via PM to you.

Do you have pictures of the Duxford Hungarian MiG-21 showing the air intake and the Pitot tube? Also these that show the rear area of the fuselage at the flap trailling edge areas?

i got this one Wojtek, any good

Attachments

• Picture 084.jpg
    Picture 084.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 149
Yes it is good.Graet Karl.Thank you.The detail is important to identify the MiG21 variant.

I couldn't get to the rear of the MiG at Duxford Wojtek, so they were the only pics i could get. Here's the intake and forward view again.

Attachments

• Czech 120.jpg
    Czech 120.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Czech 118.jpg
    Czech 118.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 89
Terry, I really don't know too much about the MiG 21 but I see a big difference between the Hungarian one you took pictures of and the one at the Air Force Museum I took pictures of. It looks like the intake ducting extends farther forward on the one at Dayton. Is this a different model ?

Aircraft at Duxford which Terry photographed is PF version, while the one at Dayton is MiG-21f-13 I believe. So basically, yes it's a different model. MiG-21f-13 preceded the PF model.

Edit: There's one example of MiG-21f-13 in our Air Force Museum in Belgrade too...

Attachments

• 22532.jpg
    22532.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Yep, Igor is quite right, the Duxford machine is a 'PF', as per the kit. I have noticed that the cockpit in the kit is incorrect, although the instrument panel and seat are more or less accurate, just need a bit of work here and there. Wojtek has kindly sent me some more info, which will help tremendously, and is going to view some pics of the kit parts which I'll send hime, to make comments where required.
I'm looking forward to this one too, and have been for awhile! Now that I know the finish was silver-doped, it'll make life a lot easier when it comes to painting, although I was looking forward to replicating the multi-hued metal panels. Still, I've got a RAF Lightning to do that on!!

That's the problem Glenn! I already have two for the GB, plus a Harrier for a 'commission' build, and the 1/32nd scale JU88 for the Museum. I also want to get another going for the 56 Sqn build, and I have three paintings to get done, all before early August!
I did want to add a MiG 17 or MiG 19, and maybe something else, like a Fiat G91 or Mirage, but I think that's pushing it!!

Oh Terry..one thing more.The silver-dope finish was semi-gloss ( satin) rather than gloss one. I think it was caused by the silver powder.However it's very close to the gloss finish.

Nice choice. I have been eyeing that same kit. I would have to go with a camo version, East German, Polish or Indaian.

DBII

I've got a small collection of MiG-21 info too Terry...if you need anything, give us a yell and I might be able to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back