**** DONE: MiG 21 PF 'Fishbed D', Moscow District PVO Aviation Fighter Regiment, 1967

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Evan. I think I'm almost there, just got to check a couple of details, depending on the positioning of some parts such as flaps. But you never know, I might still need the odd bit of info!

Terry, here are diagrams with features for the early MiG-21 variants.I hope these came in handy. The next references soon.

Attachments

• Features of MiG-21PF series.jpg
    Features of MiG-21PF series.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 132
  • MiG21PF features.jpg
    MiG21PF features.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 142
The SK-1 ejection seat.....

Attachments

• fotel SK-1_a.jpg
    fotel SK-1_a.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 135
  • fotel SK-1_b.jpg
    fotel SK-1_b.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 137
  • fotel SK-1_c.jpg
    fotel SK-1_c.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 116
That's Brilliant Wojtek! Thank you very much indeed my friend! So, it'll definitely be the MiG 21 PFM '77' I'll build, great!
The drawings are very helpful, especially the detail for the ejection seat. I've got some pictures of this too, so just need to figure out how the harness looked. Also, I'll need to make the curved part of the internal windshield, where it meets the sides of the armoured shield, but that shouldn't be too difficult.
Thanks very much again - I can make a start now!

Any time my friend..:D Here a few additional pics of the seat in different states.

Attachments

• fotel SK-1_h.jpg
    fotel SK-1_h.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 132
  • fotel SK-1_g.jpg
    fotel SK-1_g.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 129
  • fotel SK-1_f.jpg
    fotel SK-1_f.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 112
  • fotel SK-1_e.jpg
    fotel SK-1_e.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 132
  • fotel SK-1_d.jpg
    fotel SK-1_d.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 139
Brilliant! Exactly what I need, especially the harness arrangement! I've got a colour shot too, but not as clear as these pics. It's going to be a tricky one, to replicate the back-plate of the seat, but I've got an idea for that!!
Thank you so much for your help Wojtek. Just think, twenty years ago, this would not have been possible!

I'm very glad you found these references useful.:D

Just think, twenty years ago, this would not have been possible!

You are right...no camera was allowed to be brought to my work.It might have been considered to be an espionage. But I'm not sure about it though.

My name is Bond...Wojtek Bond !!! :lol:

Here two examples of the early Russian MiG-21PFM varinat.

Attachments

• Early PFM red 22.jpg
    Early PFM red 22.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Early PFM red 63.jpg
    Early PFM red 63.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Thank you Pal. :)

Here a few of PF/PFM details in pics.The hinge of the Fowler flaps and the fuselage bulge.

Attachments

• hinge of a flap left wing.jpg
    hinge of a flap left wing.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 120
  • hinge of a flap right wing.jpg
    hinge of a flap right wing.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 99
  • the underwing slide of a flap.jpg
    the underwing slide of a flap.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 129
  • the fuselage bulge.jpg
    the fuselage bulge.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 126
Great stuff Commander Bond! Or should that be Bondski?!!
Very useful detail shots Wojtek, as are the two pics of the MiGs. I've seen the colour shot of 'Red 22' before, and also in B&W, but not as large or clear. I might go for 'Red 63', although I understand that PVO aircraft , unlike those of the VVS, might not have had a black outline to the numbers?
It appears that a small number of small panels might be in bare metal, and possibly the rudder, with the remainder in the silver-doped finish, which I've noticed in some other pics. Even if this is just variations in the light, I can at least have some small areas in different tones.
Thanks very much once again, and it's still fantastic that information can be given to a 'Western' modeller by a member of what was once a potential 'hostile' Air Force!

Bondski....sounds Polish. :lol:

Again you'r welcome Terry.

After studying the large amount of info Wojtek kindly sent me, and the drawings and pics posted here, I have now been able to make a start on the model. I still think it's brilliant that a former member of a NATO army has been assisted by a member of what was a 'WARPAC' air force to build a model of what, back in the '70's, I would have been hiding from!!
The specific type has now been identified, and the model will be finished as an improved MiG 21 PF, known as the type 77 PFM, the earliest version of the PFM series, retaining some of the basic features of the earlier MiG 21 series.
Anyway, as per the kit's instructions, the cockpit is the first step, and although Academy provide the basics, which are very reasonable, a lot needs doing to make this area look more authentic.
The side consoles on the real aircraft carry the usual throttle, or power lever quadrant and other systems switches etc on the port side, and the starboard side has the electrical and radio panels. However, the cockpit walls also carry a fairly large number of switches etc, for use by the ground crew, which are not included on the kits' fuselage parts.
These have been added, along with the cockpit sill frames and other formers, using plastic card, rod and strip.
PIC 1 and 2 Show the additions, based on photographs, and they have yet to be cleaned-up and filed to final shape in these pics.
The cockpit tub has raised details on the side consoles, which are more or less accurate, apart from a few mouldings, and I decided to live with this, contenting myself with adding the quadrant, grip and arm for power lever, made from plastic card and rod (jets don't have a 'throttle' - it's known as a power lever).
PIC 3 shows the kit part and addition, and the moulded detail will be painted and highlighted to represent the correct layout.
PIC 4 shows the instrument panel as supplied. It's not totally accurate for the '77' PFM, but short of building a complete new panel, a lot of which will not be seen, again I decided to compromise, and make some changes with paint, and by adding some missing items.
PIC 5 shows the additions and changes. The Sapir radar screen has been filed to a more rounded shape, with an almost triangular apex, and made uneven to simulate the rubber shroud. The pieces of white plastic either side are switch panels, and are yet to be sanded and have some detail added, whilst at bottom left is a supplementary instrument panel, angled inwards, which also awaits clean-up.
PIC 6. This is the kit part for the coaming over the instrument panel, to which the armoured internal windshield attaches, loosely placed in position. On the real aircraft, this is open at the edges, and has a recces on top, where the gun sight is located, a part not included in the kit. There should also be small transparent screens either side, attached to the edges of the armoured windshield. (The marks inside the cockpit are pencil lines to aid in the addition of the detail parts described above.)
PIC 7. The coaming has been cut at an angle on each side, and the recess cut out. The final alterations and additions will be done when the cockpit is assembled and the halves of the nose fuselage section joined.
That's it so far, and the next step is to scratch-build some detail and harness onto the basic representation of the SK1 ejection seat.
Thanks for your interest, and thanks very much once again to Commander Wojtek Bondski !!

Attachments

• MiG 21 033.jpg
    MiG 21 033.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 114
  • MiG 21 016.jpg
    MiG 21 016.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 104
  • MiG 21 035.jpg
    MiG 21 035.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 112
  • MiG 21 036.jpg
    MiG 21 036.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 110
  • MiG 21 032.jpg
    MiG 21 032.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 108
  • MiG 21 027.jpg
    MiG 21 027.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 95
  • MiG 21 030.jpg
    MiG 21 030.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 121
The two additional points you have to remember about making the PFM Aircraft 77 variant.

1. these SPS panels have to be removed with a putty.
2. these panels for the GSz-23 ammunition belts on the left side of the fuselage as well.

Thanks Wojtek. The kit has the bulges for the Fowler flap tracks on the wings. I haven't noticed the other panels yet, but I'll check it out and correct as required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back