**** DONE: Spitfire Mk. I P9306 ZP H of No 74 Squadron Battle of Britain Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking very nice. But I'm not sure if the serial number on the starboard should be applied at the way it has been done here. Mostly these were covered with the code letters partially.Also stencils.

Looking very nice. But I'm not sure if the serial number on the starboard should be applied at the way it has been done here. Mostly these were covered with the code letters partially.Also stencils.
I gave that one a lot of thought Wojtek. I've seen pictures of it both ways, codes over serials, and serials over codes, and since I don't have any reference shots of this aircraft at the time, and wanted to display the serials, my line of reasoning is that the serials were not originally painted on this aircraft (which I have seen in photos of Mk.1s early on), and that they were painted on after the codes. Who's to say?
As far as the stencil over the codes, you may have me there. I don't recall seeing pictures of stencils either over the codes, or partially covered up by them. Either way their on to stay as I've already sealed them with Future.

Late last week I darkened the panel lines and sprayed the whole thing with dull coat. Then Friday night I got out the pastels and did some exhaust and gun blast staining wile I was doing it on the 109E-1, then sealed it with another coat of dull coat. I went on-line to post the pics and the Forum wasn't there. Look like things are back up and running so here's the pics.

PB063580.JPG
PB063581.JPG
PB063582.JPG

Last edited:
Just about There!
Finished the landing gear legs with hydraulic line and mounted them along with tail wheel. Also attached the radio mast, canopy, and put on the doped gun port covers.
Still to do: Finish painting and attach the wheels and exhaust stacks, mount the propeller and put on the radio antenna, and do some miscellaneous touch up and weathering/paint chipping.

PB263711.JPG
PB263712.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back