**** DONE: Spitfire Mk IXc - James Edgar " Johnnie" Johnson - Aircraft of the Aces GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey Bruce, just finished my first Spit recently - a MkI, Tamiya 1/48 scale (must get some pics up on the site) so following your build with interest. Getting some great advice there too; learning a few things myself. Keep up the good work. Look forward to more progress pics and the finished results.

Thanks everybody. Here's a quick update.

The blister has been removed...

100_0976_640x480.JPG

...and the first coat of paint has been applied to the underside.

100_0977_640x480.JPG

I am waiting on the proper paint to arrive by mail ( ordered Monday from Roll, shipped yesterday ), but there are plenty of things to work on in the meantime.

Time for a question. Did Johnsons MK392 aircraft have the no spoke, 3-spoke or 4-spoke wheels? I have not as yet come up with any answers so I shall turn to the experts for this one. Thank You.

Mk392 would have had the 5-spoke wheels; the 4-spoke were introduced in mid-1944, and were designed for use by ground-attack aircraft, which were to carry bombs under the wings. The so-called plain hubs, were, in fact, covers, which were fitted over the wheels, proper, to stop mud, sand, or snow getting inside the wheel hubs. 3-spoke wheels were a post-war item, initially designed for the 22/24, but eventually fitted to most surviving airframes.
Edgar

Bruce, PM me a postal address, and I'll send you a set - got some spare from an old Airfix Spit MkV.

Heres a quick update. My paint arrived on Saturday so today I got going.

The model masked and ready for painting...
100_0978_640x480.JPG

...and the top coat of RAF Ocean Grey applied. I'll let it dry overnight, mask it off and apply the RAF Dark Green tomorrow. Then the fun starts, the stripes.
100_0979_640x480.JPG

Cool! I always get excited when I get to start painting the final colors, though I don't envy you on the stripes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back