**** DONE: Spitfire Mk IXc - James Edgar " Johnnie" Johnson - Aircraft of the Aces GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

brucejscott

Staff Sergeant
May 8, 2011
Williamsport, Pa
Username - brucejscott
First name - Bruce
Category - Intermediate
Scale - 1/48th
Manufacturer - Hasegawa
Model Type - Supermarine Spitfire Mk. IXc Wing Commander J.E. "Johnnie" Johnson
Aftermarket Parts - None
Decals - Colorado Decals Spitfire Mk. VIII IX Aces #48-63

Since this will be my first group build, I decided to try another first and build my very first ever Spitfire ( that's right, never built one ). A true departure from my normal pacific naval aviation builds.

100_0962_640x480.JPG
100_0963_640x480.JPG

These are my jumping off points. I have heard good and bad things about this kit, but as I am doing this for fun, I don't care. Besides, never having done a Spitfire before, I won't know the difference. This may take a bit as I still have that Martlet on the bench ( which is new and finished ) plus a Mustang Mk.-1A I started on vacation at the beach when it was raining.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if someone would do this one! Great choice Bruce, looking forward to the build. Johhny Johnson used to live only a few miles from me, until he passed away.

Nice subject you've picked there, and also indeed the 'well loved ;)' hasegawa kit. Never cared much for the critisism on the kit either (although I wouldn't mind if Tamiya managed to shrink their 1/32 scale MK.IX to 1/48 ), other then it's a typically well engineerd Hasegawa kit, so you'll have good time building it, I'm sure of it

Last edited:
Yes Bruce, I met him twice at aviation events, and then 'bumped into him' in his town a couple of years later. I was really pleased that he remembered me !

Nice choice and welcome to the build Bruce. Like Terry, AVM Johnson was also known to me though not in the same light. He was my boss in Aden (became South Yemen and now part of Yemen) and loved his parades and weekend breaks down to Mombasa, Kenya.

Nice choice welcome aboard to the GB Bruce.

First GB was a nervous one for me, I hadn't done a lot of detail before but these guys got me thru it. Anxious to see the progress on your excellent choice.

Vic - You are also a very lucky fellow
Peebs - Thanks! Great picture!
And now for a question. Is the seat in the picture solid, unpainted Bakelite and did it always look like that? It may sound dumb but I am used to aluminum bucket seats. I was going to post some progress pics but after finding this I think there may be some repainting in store. Thanks.

Spitfire%20Mk16%20cockpit.jpg

Yes, during WW2, the seat was as shown. Here's another pic, showing the very dark brown leather 'slip on' rear padding. This one has been restored - during WW2 the leather was very dark, almost black.
The seat mounts were the same colour as the rest of the cockpit - Grey Green.
Note that in the colour pick of Johnson, he's wearing British Army 'Battledress'. This was common among 2 TAF and other close-support or fighter crews during this period, in case of forced landing or bail-out etc, as the RAF uniform could easily be confused with the German uniforms, which lead to a number of aircrew being shot by 'friendly' forces or Resistance.

Attachments

• Duxford  May 2011 110.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 110.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 177
Excellent information! Thank you very much! I guess some repainting is in order then. Hasagawa does not get the shape of the back pad very correct but I will do what I can as the seat is already installed and the cockpit 90% done. It does bother me that they can't even get the proper color callouts correct in the assembly instructions. I suppose if all model companies got it right then the after market people would be out of a job. Again, thank you. Back to the bench I go.

You're welcome Bruce. In all fairness to the model companies, they are sometimes too accurate - they often replicate exactly what they see on a real aircraft, but fail to consider that this same airframe has been restored, and might not (probably wasn't!) appear as it did when in service. It's been known for non-existent panels to be included in the moulds which, in reality, were repair patches on the example used for the data !
EDIT:_ BTW, if you want to get the seat exactly right, have a look at my thread of the 136 Sqn Spit MkV in the 'Start to Finish' builds, or the Spit MkVIII in the 'Commonwealth' GB.

Last edited:
Here's a couple of progress pictures. There are still some bits left to attach and some detail painting to be done before the fuselage can be closed up. The seat has been repainted but discretion got the better part of my valour when it came to correcting the back cushion. Trying to recarve it after it had been installed seemed a sure course to disaster. I chose a middle ground and just painted it like it was correct. Odds are you won't be able to tell once all is closed up.

100_0964_640x480.JPG
100_0966_640x480.JPG

That's looking very good Bruce, and you're right, any 'imperfections' won't be noticed once the fuselage is closed, especially if the hatch isn't open.
I can't quite make it out in the pics, but if the crow bar on the hatch is painted red, that was a post-war colour. During WW2 they were either bare steel, or sometimes painted the same colour as the hatch door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back