Duxford Flying Legends 2009

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

trackend

Chief Master Sergeant
Dec 20, 2003
Ipswich, Suffolk
Its that time again this weekend guys for FL at Duxford, as per usual I am attending for both days of flying and I shall post some snaps of this years event although the weather out look is a bit iffy.
If any of you model makers etc need images of anything special, : eg parts of specific aircraft for your projects let me know either here or by PM and I'll do my best (access permiting) to get some shots for you most of the museums aircraft can be found if you browse through here Imperial War Museum Duxford > Explore

I will be interested to look around the latest addition to the static collection (a Typhoon Eurofighter) and see the F15's new paint job. hopefully I will have some shots ready to post on here by Monday as I do much of my image processing on a note book at the campsite.

catch you guys on the flip side
Lee

Might bump into you sometime over the weekend Lee (its OK, not just as you're about to take a stunning pic!) as Tony (Rocketeer) and I are up there from Friday morning... about half tennish... for whole weekend.

I tend to go to the extreme left hand side of the crowdline for my shots...get some great top-side shots as they come curving down onto the dsiplay flightline.

You will find me wearing an Airshowbuzz.com hat and as long as it not hoofing it down, my Aluminum Overcast flight jacket..with a huge B-17 embroidered across the back.

We're in digs about 15 clicks away from DX, just past Debden airfield.

Roll on friday morning !

I'm there for sat sun roughing it in a tent. I'll keep me eyes peeled Gary so if I see you I can hide :lol:
seriously tho??????? hang on a mo I was serious
Ill be the lard arse with the luminous orange ruck sack and Avirex baseball hat. Depending on the weather I'll have my camera gear waist coat with a Sally B and my old mans combined ops badge on. Say hello, Ill buy you a pint and we can all drink a toast to Bob Chamberlain We may be the other side of the pond but we are all mates, hurt one we all hurt.
Catch you at the weekend Gary.
all the best Lee

Last edited:
I'm there for sat sun roughing it in a tent.

Aaaaargh, please dont tell me they're allowing tents on the crowdline now !!!!....mental note to self, must get some plasterers stilts then I dont need a ladder !:lol:

Only joking mate. and yer'on for pint if we do meet, and raise a glass ?...absolutely definitely !. I have a number of guys whom I feel a need to 'toast', from various WW2 crash sites I know of, so not only will I include Bob and his passenger, but also the 2 RAF Tornado chaps who didn't make it back to base last week. Might even bring along a few big ceeegars and toast 'em in style. Must try and tie it into the missing man flypast they allways put on.

We also need to make sure that we dont post identical pics from Monday onwards !

Last edited:
Hi lee
I volenter there so if you need to get close up i mite beable to get you there. The f15's paint job is great, haven't seen the euro fighter there yet but i have not been round museum for some time. I will be there sunday only live 45mins away. Richard

Great Richard hope to meet and say hello keep an eye out for (as described above)
I spoke to a guy last year about volunteering when I retire he came from Chelmsford so Im not a rediculous distance away its the really early start to get the best spot I hate thats why I stay nearby on flying days

Listen Gary ;) we cant all afford to Fridays off some of use have to work for a living
Actually what I save by camping means I can give a few more quid to the Sally B fund. Blowing yet another engine (the 3rd) means £80,000 up the spout and I want her to be flying again real soon

Last edited:
Hope you have a great weekend, Lee, Gary and Tony - you lucky Bar Stewards! Wish I could get there!
If there's any chance of getting near to TFC's Spit XIV, could you get a shot of the air intake front, and the rudder trim tab actuator please? But ONLY if it's convenient for you, don't go missing good shots just for my lazy ar**ed benefit!!
Cheers,
Terry.

Cheers guys
Sorry to have to tell you Roman Sally B is grounded till they can find a replacement power plant, a crank shaft bearing on number one engine failed, I was lucky to see her in the air for the only time this year at the spring show and even then the engine was choughing a bit when they throttled up i think they must have had oil feed problems although Im not sure if the Cyclon is a wet sump engine or not.
(did you manage to access the FL cd pics I sent you ok?)

Will do Terry cant guarantee the TT actuators but I always do the flight line walk so if shes there I'll do my best then send you some full frame images. intake should be a doddle to get laying on the ground may be able to get some in the air also.

Yes Lee, I did get them and they are beautiful! Thx again!
Sorry to hear about Sally B. So all the time the problems with the same engine...did they last year replace it for a new one or they overhauled it?

Thanks very much Lee! It's the actual opening into the front of the intake I'm after, either MkXIV, XVIII, PR19, 22 etc, they all have the same intake,but don't bust a gut to get it mate! It's more important you enjoy the show! Daft thing is, I've had so many opportunities to get the shots when I've worked with a FRXIV and the BBMF's PR19's, but never thought I'd need such a detail shot!
EDIT:- Nearly forgot! I missed the Post today, as it was pi..er..persisting down, and I didn't want to dissolve! But the CD and stuff should hit the Post Office tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday), 1st Class, so you should have it on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Cheers Aaron

It was a rebuild Roman. One has failed twice but it was a zero hours build they bought from the states originally that seized so it was rebuilt now its failed again as for the other engine they only said it was a faulty unit.
problem is the P&W engines used in the 17 despite the numbers kept in storage after WW2 are now very hard to find at a price that a charity funded aircraft can afford we had a £250,000 donation the other year from a great old boy but thats been sucked up sorting out these bloody engines, we have a loyal group of 4000+ members however and I am confident she will be flying her memorial flights over the UK again.

Thanks AF I am much obliged still studying reference work on the wimpy and have a pilots notes booklet that has a couple of good cockpit images, so I suspect it will be a winter start to the project.

This is the latest list opf participants...

Flying Legends 2009 Visiting Participating Aircraft

North American P-51 Mustangs
P-51D-25 Mustang 44-72917
P-51D-25 Mustang 44-73149
P-51D-25 Mustang 44-73877
P-51D-30 Mustang 44-74427
TF-51D-25 Mustang 44-84847
Cavalier F-51D Mustang 44-10753a

Vickers-Supermarine Spitfires
Spitfire F IIA P7350
Spitfire F VB BM597
Spitfire F IX MH434
Spitfire F IXE PL344
Spitfire LF XVIE TD248
Spitfire F XVIII SM845
Spitfire PR XIX PS890
Seafire F XVII SX336

Hawker Hurricanes
Hurricane I R4118
Hurricane IIC PZ865
Hurricane XII RCAF 5711
Sea Hurricane IB Z7105

Yak Fighters
Yak-3UA 0470107
Yak-3U 170101
Yak-9UM 0470406
Yak-9UM 0917918

Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
B-17G-85 Flying Fortress 44-8846 (Pink Lady ?...hopefully Sally B will be wheeled out for the static)

North American B-25 Mitchells
B-25D-30 Mitchell 43-3318/KL161
B-25J-20 Mitchell 44-29507
B-25J-35 Mitchell 45-8811

Douglas A-1 Skyraiders
AD-4NA Skyraider BuNo 126933
AD-4NA Skyraider BuNo 124143

Piper J-3C-65 Cubs
J-3C-65 Cub G-AKAZ
J-3C-65 Cub G-RRSR

Hawker Fury/Sea Fury
Fury ISS 37514
Sea Fury T 20

Fokker Dr I replicas
Dr I G-FOKI
Dr I G-CDXR
Dr I G-BVGZ

Other Participants
C-53D 42-68823 (11750/LN-WND)
Ju 52/3mg2e Wk-Nr 5489
Bf 108 D-EBEI
Hind 'K5414'
Swordfish I W5856
HA-1112-M1L Buchón C.4K-102
FW 190 (static)
Lockheed 12A Electra Junior 1287/F-AZLL
Thulin A/Blériot XI
1-131E Jungmann G-BSAJ
Lancaster B I PA474
Morane D-3801 J-143
Caudron C.460 Rafale replica
Nieuport 17/23 replica G-BWMJ
Gladiator I L8032
P-40N Warhawk 42-105915
Nimrod II K3661
YC-43 Traveller N295BS
Lysander IIIA V9552
The Aerostars Team

I was kinda hoping the Super Constellation would make a visit but she's not down to show which is a pity. And hopefully, TFC will wheel out a good selection for the static lineup as well if the issues havent been resolved by then.

Thanks very much Lee! It's the actual opening into the front of the intake I'm after, either MkXIV, XVIII, PR19, 22 etc, they all have the same intake

Are these any use ?

Knowing me, not only are they not of the air intake but probably the wrong mark as well !. If they are OK, I can send you the full size pics so you dont have to 'blow these ones up'.

And if I can get thgis link to work...tyou absolutely have to watch this !!!

SPITFIRE | www.airshowbuzz.com

Attachments

• ww1.jpg
    ww1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 116
  • ww2.jpg
    ww2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 118
  • ww3.jpg
    ww3.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 126
  • ww4.jpg
    ww4.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Thanks for the posting Gary thats a great line up, can you imagine what the Balbo will be like with that lot in the air.
(apart from the statics of course)
I dare say Sally will be sitting in her usual spot as hanger space is at a premium during FL being an ex fighter base the only way they can get her in the hanger is to remove both wing tips.
With any luck she'll be open for a flight deck visit, when money gets tight every £3 or £4 per visitor soon adds up.
I am surprised that there is a Stringbag in the line up as FL is clashing with Yeovilton's 100th year of the Fleet air arm celebrations I hope she gets airborne this year as last time the magneto packed up and yet again I missed my all time favourite plane aloft.
Be the first time I've seen 3 skyraiders cranked up in the same place got to be one the best ground supporters until the
A10 arrived on the scene.
So far unfortunately the weather forecast is crap specialy on the Saturday but I dont give a **** being near these beautiful peices of aviation I get so buzzed up that the rain steams when it hits my Barnet.
However fingers crossed we get a wind shift and we get a good westerly on Friday over Wales etc that would keep that horrible Atlantic low away for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back