Earthquake season again

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The quakes are getting smaller. Haven't had a 5+ so far today. They do seem to be getting closer to where I live though.

Last one was 15 km (10 miles) from home...

Last edited:
"Are you suggesting that earth quakes migrate?"

Sorry I could not resist!

Yes, they do, sometimes.
The main earthquake (Sunday morning) relieved stress in one portion of the fault, and loads stress on other parts. The aftershock sequence in this case has been moving gradually south.

And, we're off again!
Had a 6.6 on Friday afternoon, closer to home. This one was a lot stronger than the first one, and has done some major damage at Seddon, about 25 minutes south of here. There are a few chimneys down on some older houses here, but we managed to get away with just some minor breakages.

It had me more than a bit scared...

I left the office just after the quake, as we didn't have any power, and have only just come back to this:
WP_000633.jpg

Thanks, GG. Luckily, there have been no reports of injuries, but far more property damage done. There have been a few houses practically destroyed in Seddon from what we hear.

Interestingly, they are continuing to move south from the previous quakes we had, and are now generally centered on land.

Frightening days for our Kiwi friends.
We hope it'll all pass without harm.
If all else fails stick the kettle on for a cuppa.
Take care guys

It would appear that the activity around NZ'sfaults are still adjusting to earlier movements like Christchurch and Drendan, as they grind together upon each other.. like one of those sliding block puzzles, when one moves, the others have to adjust... wishing all those whom have also felt witnessed the Earths adjustings, safe times and hopes.

youtube has a just started new documentary series (mostly in English) by NHK (unfortunately) called 'MegaQuakes' if you wish/can stomach it - newer tectonic theor-y/ies, mapping methods and the results of interpretations associated imagery explainations - so far I've only seen the 1st one, there perhaps only got to number 2 or 3 so far IRL, but I was quite pleasantly surprised this slicky done and presented programme from NHK (Japans BBC-a-like).

Last edited:
Although the richter scale doesn't really relate to how it feels. There are so many other issues at work, depth, distance, the type of rock, the direction of movement, frequency.

Strangely enough, we've started imagining them now. It seems that its kind of like getting your sea legs, and then getting back on land, and it feels like the land is rocking.

You can see here how they've been 'migrating' south:

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Yep I remember the little one we had 13km below Warwick years ago; it felt like the floor to my 1st floor of my 1 room bedsit back then (2nd floor for those who don't use 'ground floor' system) was undulating like the breaker of the surf or being upon the back of a giant slithering snake as the rumbles rolled on past Rugby back then 02/03.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back