End Of The World. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Mayan calendar was not based on any solar or lunar event. It was a series of cycles within cycles within cycles. The calendar counts were based on a base 20 (we use decimal or base 10) system where each cycle was 20 times the previous cycle except for the second order which was 18 times. Thus the Mayan week was 20 named days long, the Winal cycle. The Winal cycle repeated 18 times (second order) the Tun which counted 360 days. After a Tun a 5 day period, a Wayeb, was added. These 5 days were considered unlucky. The Tun + Wayeb = 365 approximately a solar year. However it was not tied to seasonal events as it wandered a day every 4 years. There were many other cycles: a 9 Lords of the Night cycle; a 13 day religious cycle, a 584 Venus cycle, an 52 Winal + Wayeb (18,980 day) cycle the Calendar Round cycle, etc.
The third order cycle the Katun was 20 Tun or 7200 days or 20 solar years.
The fourth order cycle the Baktun was 20 Katun or 144,000 days or 394 solar years.
The completion of this cycle is the one which caused all the confusion on the 21st
The fifth order cycle has not been reached at this point in time. The Long Count cycles began at the Mayan creation date which modern experts place at Aug 11/12/13, 3114 BC (Gregorian). Counting forward December 21/22/23, 2012 was simply the day that the calendar went to the next Baktun, at Long Count 13.0.0.0.0.
Sandra Noble, executive director of the Mesoamerican research organization, stated that "for the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle". She considers the portrayal of December 2012 as a doomsday or cosmic-shift event to be "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in. It would be similar to claiming that 99AD would end the world since our calendar is now out of dates. We, like the Mayans simply move into the next order of magnitude, or 1000AD. For those of you who wish to wait, the fifth order, the Piktun is 20 Baktun or 2,880,000 days or 7885 years reached at Long Count 1.0.0.0.0.0, will be on October 13, 4772.

what the mayans actually predicted was the Hostess bakery company going out of business....that means no more twinkies, ho-hos, creme filled cupcakes, little chocolate donuts, and snowballs.....DAMN the world DID end!!!

LOL @Chris! No kidding, right?

Irony of ironies....Washington and Colorado legalize the use of marijuana right around the same time Hostess goes out of business. Man, those post-toke munchies are gonna suck!

Well if you really are looking forward to the END there is the List of Popes to look forward too or this quatrain:

Out of the country of Greater Arabia Shall be born a strong master of Mohammed,
He will enter Europe wearing a blue turban.
He will be the terror of mankind.
Never more horror.
In the year 1999 and seven months
From the sky will come the great King of Terror.
He will bring back to life the King of the Mongols;
Before and after war reigns.

In the year 1999 and seven months, July, 1999: King Mohammed VI of Morocco, a pro-posed Greater Arabia State, was enthroned July 23, 1999, just hours after the death of his father. Mohammed is the 18th king in the Alaouite dynasty, which has reigned in Morocco since 1666 (The Number 666 has been said to be the mark of "The Beast").

Dr. A.Q. Khan (Genghis Khan was the King of the Mongols)who developed the Atomic Bomb for Pakistan and also gave it away to other Muslim countries. Pakistan's nuclear weapons program is a source of extreme national pride, and, as its father, A.Q. Khan -- who headed Pakistan's nuclear program for some 25 years. Dr Khan holds the knowledge and has the ability to give immense power to causethe apocalypse 0f 2012.
In a startling televised confession, Abdul Qadeer Khan, admitted selling nuclear technology to Iran, Libya, and North Korea. A.Q. Khan asked for clemency, but the Pakistani government made no public announcement about whether he is to be prosecuted

The Blue or Indigo Turban is traditional garb worn in The Saharan Desert by most countries in Northern Africa.
The Peshawar Blue Turban is worn in the tribal regions of NorthWest Pakistan.

I deleted an entire post where I systematically demonstrated the folly of believing in silly superstitions.
Don't make me bring out the logic stick!

Well no one bats 1000 but there are tantalizing quatrains:
An Emperor shall be born near Italy.
Who shall cost the Empire dear,
They shall say, with what people he keeps company
He shall be found less a Prince than a butcher.

The captive prince, conquered, is sent to Elba;
He will sail across the Gulf of Genoa to Marseilles.
By a great effort of the foreign forces he is overcome,
Though he escaped the fire, his bees yield blood by the barrel.

Napoleon was born in Corsica, near Italy, placed Bees into his Imperial Crest, and was exiled to Elba.

Out of the deepest part of the west of Europe,
From poor people a young child shall be born,
Who with his tongue shall seduce many people,
His fame shall increase in the Eastern Kingdom.
He shall come to tyrannize the land.
He shall raise up a hatred that had long been dormant.
The child of Germany observes no law.
Cries, and tears, fire, blood, and battle.

A captain of Germany shall come to yield himself by false hope,
So that his revolt shall cause great bloodshed.

Beasts wild with hunger will cross the rivers
The greater part of the battlefield will be against Hister.

WOnder who Hister is

So do I. You would think that the Germans wouldn't follow some guy named Hister so soon after that Hitler guy.
Nostradamus wrote in French with Italian, Latin and Greek sprinkled in.
Badly, I might add. Depending on the translator, it is possible to fit just about any world event if someone tries hard enough. Oddly enough Mr. N. nailed down a few thing with actual dates. 1792 would see Venice Italy emerge as a world power. The Catholic clergy would fall by 1609. And China would conquer "the whole northern section of the world" by 1700. I'm sure we all remember those from history class.
The idea that he somehow had to "obscure" names and details is ludicrous. If he was afraid of being tried for witchcraft, then his method of scrying alone was enough to get him a date with the executioner.
When you "predict" by the shotgun method the 99% that miss are ignored and the 1% that can be construed as a hit are celebrated. This is the prefered method of people like Pat Robertson and the late Jeane Dixon and Edgar Cayce. Spew enough random obscure ramblings and sooner or later something will fit.
Somewhat similar are the cold readers, Sylvia Brown, John Edwards, and the like. They keep up a rapid fire series of generalized statements and questions that are so vague that people will fill in the details and then swear later that the "psychic" told them amazing details.
More odious is Peter Popov, a con artist that was busted by "60 minutes". He would keep people waiting for an hour to enter the auditorium while he had workers circulate and collect personal details that were then transmitted by his wife to him via an ear piece he wore. He fled to Canada where he still carries on his "show".
I am an unbeliever in most things. I have found that many people will willingly suspend their intellect to embrace ideas that make them feel warm and fuzzy. That is acceptable to me as long as they do not require me to share in their belief.
Then there are others that would use their beliefs to justify oppression of all who do not believe as they do. Those are the ones that I consider a blight on humanity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back