Exploding pythons

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Potentially quite serious though
it's been 'introduced' into the Everglades and it's challenging the guy at the top of the food chain for supremacy; what was the biggest snake in there before the Burmese Python showed up?

That is the problem with people getting snakes that are too big. Once theu are too large, they don't know what to do with them. They release them in places where they do not belong. Burmese are not native to the Americas.

Shame that this happens from time to time. I miss my 10ft. Burmese, that was a beautiful snake.

That is the problem with people getting snakes that are too big. Once theu are too large, they don't know what to do with them. They release them in places where they do not belong. Burmese are not native to the Americas.

Shame that this happens from time to time. I miss my 10ft. Burmese, that was a beautiful snake.

Its not only w/ snakes. Among others, African Lions are a common choice for pets....At least until they are over 400 lbs and eating 15 lbs of food a day. When I worked at the Little Rock Zoo, our African Lion was declawed, so he couldn't be reintroduced to other Lions. Very sad.

We had a "scare" in Los Angeles in 2005.
Someone's pet Tiger got loose and they shot it instead of tranquilizing it.
IIRC it was more the owner's fault it was shot because they had been lying to the police about losing it.

Tiger Killed Near Reagan Library - CBS News

There's video of the animal roaming the hillside from a helicopter right before they shot it but I can't find it.

Wheels

I remember that. The owner was lucky he didn't get mauled by the damned thing. A couple of times a year, we see in the news about a Lion/Tiger/Chimpanzee/etc. killing someone, often the owner him/herself. Am I missing something, or is keeping a wild animal a bad idea?

As for the king of the swamp, heres some pics....

Attachments

• python gator2.jpg
    python gator2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 8,677
  • python gator3.jpg
    python gator3.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 6,203
  • python gator6.jpg
    python gator6.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 4,249
  • python gator5.jpg
    python gator5.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 4,530
  • python vs gator.jpg
    python vs gator.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 84,034
  • python on gator.jpg
    python on gator.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 4,942
  • python gator4.jpg
    python gator4.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 58,887
  • python vs gator2.jpg
    python vs gator2.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 34,750
I remember that. The owner was lucky he didn't get mauled by the damned thing. A couple of times a year, we see in the news about a Lion/Tiger/Chimpanzee/etc. killing someone, often the owner him/herself. Am I missing something, or is keeping a wild animal a bad idea?

I'm with you, diddyriddick. It is a bad idea, and an irresponsible one. Far too many dangerous creatures have been released to the wild by owners who have tired/become frightened of them.

I don't know about the Indigo but the Black Rat Snake is VERY common along with the Black Racer. Both non-posionous.

Most of your common snakes in NA can get up to 10 feet long. With Florida being a major port for illegal exotic animals and its numerous devastating storms, you are starting to see non-native species of animals flourishing.

A few years ago there was a 23 foot snake (don't know what type - maybe anaconda) that was living in a Senior Citizen trailer park in Florida under one of the mobile homes, eating small dogs. Animal Control finally caught it. That would have been the day I quit! I saw video of it and it took about 8 - 10 men just to hold it up.

Largest I ever caught was a 13 ft albino Burmese python that nobody ever came in to claim. Just slithering down a sidewalk in a residential area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back