F-86 of Capt. Charles McSwain Suwon, Korea (1953)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Is this the F-86 in 1/48 from Academy, the F-86F-30 to be precise? :D I'll upload it in a sec.

DSCN7947_zps6f645774.jpg

DSCN7946_zps653660a0.jpg

DSCN7945_zps1d4d9412.jpg

DSCN7944_zpsd4d98134.jpg

DSCN7943_zps936717a0.jpg

DSCN7942_zps3e7aac2a.jpg

Woooo :D yaaa ! :) Took a long time to upload lol :D :( but it is completed ! :)

Can't wait to see the decals on, take it easy, don't use Sol on Academy stuff, I've never had good reactions with Academy decals on Sol or Set. They always seem to dismantle the decals. So be careful :D :)

double posts of doom :( !!!! ARGH :D

Last edited:
Looking good! Your skills have increased phenomenally. You probably have posted this elsewhere, but when did your production line move to the basement. You were upstairs in a hallway nook initially, right?

Don't think I'm leaving these decals on here......they're a tad bit too small and didn't set great. May paint this on?

Attachments

• IMG_1885.JPG
    IMG_1885.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1886.JPG
    IMG_1886.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 104
I had the same problem with those same decals on my Academy kit H.
Just give them a bit more decal solution, let me them fully set, and then seal them. When fully dry, touch-in the bare or missing areas with black paint, then clear coat again when dry.
The first pic below shows the same as yours, plus chipped areas in the yellow fin strip, the second pic is after re-touching.(Pics are not very good quality).
When you get to the the wide, yellow bands, on fuselage and wings, you'll need to use lots of decal softener, and take it a bit at a time, with lots of patience !!

Attachments

• Sabre build 079.jpg
    Sabre build 079.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Sabre build 129.jpg
    Sabre build 129.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 125
George, I noticed your request to Jan re RCAF decals. I think I have some spare RCAF Sabre decals if you need them? They'll be around 30 years old, from the Monogram kit (same kit as H's Revell example) but they've been stored in polythene sleeves in a binder. so no discolouration. A spray of gloss clear, before use, should protect them.
Just bung me an address via PM, and they're yours.

Man these Academy decals scare me :D I hope I don't run into too many problems with the 1/72 Sabre on the GB :D using them.

Did you use Sol at all Terry?

Sorry for the high jack Harrison :)

Igor, yes, I used plenty of Micro Sol and, if my memory is correct, I also used 'Future' to get some of the thicker decals, like the yellow stripes, to stick.
The tail checks and other items such as the stencils were fairly thin, and stretched or cracked easily, but the national insignia and ID stripes were thick - and all on the same sheet!
Hope you get it sorted H - it's not too bad once the checks are stuck down, and re-touching with paint is fairly straightforward.

Think of finishing this one.. but need to buy the decal sheet again as I have misplaced this one and need the roundels and a few misc. ones to complete this bird for the most part..

I think modeling is my summer hobby, when I am out of school and summer hits I have an urge all summer but once school comes I stop flat in my tracks.

Anyone help me out with another Decal sheet? (where to purchase etc. )

Attachments

• IMG_1265.jpeg
    IMG_1265.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back