F4U-1A Corsair VF-17

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Totalize

Tech Sergeant
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I posted pictures of my Tamiya F4U Corsair in 1/48 scale but I managed to put the finishing touches on her such as the pitot tube and removing the drop tank.
Here's some pictures of the completed build.

IMG_9522CunninghamVF17intro1000.jpg

IMG_9524b1000.JPG

IMG_9520a1000.JPG

IMG_9519a1000.JPG

IMG_9515drk900.JPG

IMG_9514a900.JPG

IMG_9511b1000.JPG

IMG_9501a1000.JPG

IMG_9495a1000.JPG

IMG_9521a1000.JPG

IMG_9510a1000.JPG

Last edited:
Very well done indeed - it looks the biz!
Two minor points of (hopefully) constructive criticism - the antenna wires are rather 'heavy' for the scale, and the white 'tape' around the cowling joints is a touch too 'new'; it doesn't match the overall worn look of the rest of the airframe, and just needs subduing slightly to replicate natural grime and exposure. Otherwise, a great look on the whole.

Nice job. They also put tape over the gun barrels to keep out the coral dust. As it blew off when the guns were fired usually more than one layer.
Ed

Guys,

Thank you all very much for the comments. They are much appreciated.

Terry,

Regarding the antenna wire your right. I wasn't sure if it would be to scale as this was my first try at doing it. It looked okay but after seeing other models and the actual aircraft itself it is over scale. I can fix that with some finer wire which I have or stretched sprue. Question: What is the most popular material for making aircraft antenna wire?

For the tape forward of the cockpit i will grime that up a bit more and get rid of the bright white look it has in some areas.

Cheers,
Dave.

Last edited:
Hi Dave, in this scale I sometimes used fine stretched sprue for antenna wires, clear sprue being better to get the 'stretch' right, but I mainly use 'invisible' mending thread. This is available in clear, and a couple of 'smoked' shades, and is ideal. It can be painted if required, using the edge of a paint brush, and is easy to fix with a spot of CA glue.
This 200 metre reel only cost £1, and should be available from any sewing materials outlet, haberdashery or similar.

Attachments

• SE5 build 147.jpg
    SE5 build 147.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 261

Users who are viewing this thread

Back