(Father's day gift) Revell-Monogram 1/24 NASCAR #3 Goodwrench Monte Carlo

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trebor

Master Sergeant
Feb 15, 2008
KCLS
hey guys! I'm not dead!! I've just been posting my modeling progress on facebook, and I fogot you guys. forgive meeeee! ;_;

My father is a biiiig racing nut. He loves NASCAR, and is part of the pit crew in El Paso, TX of a Dirt Late model pictured here:

891969_10200357096563445_1278475811_o.jpg

soooooo a couple years ago for father's day, I got my father a scale model kit of Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s car (damn good bargain) and he was beside himself, he loved it so much, didn't know whether to build it or just put it on display. He finally decided to put it on display lol

Well, I decided to one-up myself and buy another model of Dale Sr.'s car and build it, put it in a mirrored display case, and send it to him. along with a cool Dale Sr. poster I've had for years, shown here:

IMG_20150523_172104_968[1].jpg

allrighty, then! here's what I got:

IMG_20150523_171126_602.jpg

It's molded in black, so I had to have a blank piece of paper under it to show contrast

IMG_20150523_171131_454.jpg

all parts are accounted for (better be, the kit was still factory sealed when it came in the mail)

IMG_20150523_171135_817.jpg

pretty awesome box art :D

IMG_20150523_171139_863.jpg

The decals are....my BIGGEST concern. this kit was made in 1995, so this kit is 20 years old, as are the decals. I really....REALLY hope they are still sturdy, cos if they aren't....if they disintegrate....I will be extremely upset, cos I want this father's day to be really great for my dad. and even if by some miracle I wre to get replacement decals, it probably wouldn't be in time for father's day.

IMG_20150523_171353_777.jpg

lastly, here's the display case. love that it's slanted and has a mirrored back. the base is a little cheap. paid $35 for this sucker but eh, what are ya gonna do? using the 1/24 Volkswagen Golf I built as an example

I don't see any yellowing on the decals, so that is one good thing. If you have any concerns about whether or not the decals will disintegrate, try one you won't need. Otherwise, you can gloss coat the sheet and trim each decal as close to edges as possible or Microscale makes a liquid decal film that can be brushed on them to restore their integrity. Hope this helps.

Good stuff, and I agree about clear-coating the decals. For the base of the display case, it's an easy job to paint a piece of card to represent tarmac/concrete, maybe with some starting grid lines, and use that as a base, on top of the foam.

AT6 advice on decals is ideal to ensure their good condition. Nor I saw it yellowish and they look in good condition.
That engine begins to look good and I'm sure your father would love the gift.

Buena suerte y saludos. :thumbup:

SANCER

well, the kit is calling for a color which I do not have, and which is not locally available to me. It's Chevy engine red. So either I purchase it online, and wait a fortnight for it to come, or I mix red and orange (that's basically what it is, is red-orange) and I have the color available to me now. how much red and orange should I mix?

well, I ended up having to actually mix the red and orange. time isn't the only constraint, here. I'm also broke as hell. lol so I'm gonna have to do some airbrushing *dusts off air compressor and airbrush*
IMG_20150526_084047_535[1].jpg

headers are also installed on the engine, looks pretty badass, about ready to take on anything. lol

well, tested a decal that I know I won't be using. results are bittersweet. the decals themselves are sturdy, and haven't yellowed. the backing, however has and leaves a yellow film. how do I clean that off?

IMG_20150526_090919_862[1].jpg

You could try placing the sheet in a sealed plastic bag and attach the bag to a window where sun light shines for a day or so. Make sure that there is no moisture in the bag and hopefully the yellowing will disappear. I've used that method several times with good results. Perhaps some one else around here has another method for bleaching the yellowing out. However, on a dark painted surface that may not be an issue.

Last edited:
I.....am never doing another NASCAR model again unless you paid me $100 for it lol and unless Jamie McMurray's Cessna car comes out. those are the only 2 exceptions. all that had to be painted Chevy engine red. the majority of those parts make up the rollcage and support braces. it took a very long time, but itiot me, I forgot to add thinner, so by the time I was done, there was paint caked on the nozzle. so I had LOOOOOOOTS of fun cleaning THAT up! LOL

IMG_20150527_183108_002[1].jpg

and then here's primer on the body
IMG_20150527_143440_283[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back