Favorite 5 Aircraft- All Eras Allowed.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Speys were cleaner. The British can't have dirty aircraft flying around all of the place, even now wieners are trying to restrict the sound they make. And the thing that started it all was a low flying Chinook.

Anyway, I'll change the F-16 to AC-130 'Spectre' the F-16 can be sixth.

the lancaster kicks ass said:
yeah but you see neither of them are british, and the 4 aircraft that have sealed a place in my list so far are all british :lol:

Im guessing theyre the Mossie, Lanc, EE Lightning and Vulcan (Though not necessarily in that order)...

The x model had an Allison supercharged engine with intercooler, and could have reached speeds close to 400. It also had a longer span wing and a roomier cockpit. But, the Q models were O.k too.

They also had an experimental model of the P-38. I think that it was called the K. (not sure) It was a modified E with Hamilton Standard 3-blade props. It could have really did something, if the morons would have waited a few weeks for the factory to change over. I'll try to find the article.

Well it wasnt really difficult was it ;)

EE Lightning - English Electic Lightning, Perhaps the best Jet Interceptor of all time...

Yeah the P-38K would have been good. Instead that went on with the L model though...but that was ok too :lol:

My god, someone didn't know what an EE Lightning was. It was the best interceptor for the majority of the cold war, it was the only thing that could reach the altitude of the Soviet bombers until the F-4 Phantom. Mach 2.3 - 60,000 ft - 1947 Design - "Beauty to fly, bugger to fix"

bearintercept.jpg

5 Sqn. F.6 Lightning intercepting a Tu-95 Bear. Different squadrons (As well as my dads 11 Sqn.) intercepted Bears and Bisons everyday during the 60s and 70s.

One more thing about the Lightning. It was the first fighter to have a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio or better, meaning it would not lose speed in a straight up climb. I got to see one fly several times at air shows while I was in England. I gotta say I thought it was really cool. Here is one of my old shots of it. Not a very good shot, but you can see how low he was for the pass. No, he was NOT taking off!

Attachments

• raf-lightning-1986-3.jpg
    raf-lightning-1986-3.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 472
You know that engine thing is wrong. The combined thrust of the two Rolls Royce Avon engines is above the weight of the Lightning when empty. This means, no fuel. That means, the Lightning isn't going to go anywhere.
When the Lightning has fuel it's heavier than it's thrust. It does lose speed when it's gaining altitude, just not much. The Lightning Sqn. were told to stop taking off vertically because of the stress on the air frame - the riggers used to complain.

jas338.jpg

11 Sqn. F.6 Lightning. Those things got really hot in the Cyprus sun, I'm told.

A lot of people make that mistake. Yes, the thrust of the engines is more than the weight of the aircraft but only when the aircraft is empty which means no fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back