Few Gloster Gladiator questions

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

aircro

Airman 1st Class
Jan 10, 2009
Cockpit interior was completly interior grey-green? Including floor?
Prop blades including 'hub' for 80Sq. Egipt, was black?
And wires, in what colors they were?

Cockpits could be grey green, silver, or a combination of these, depending on mark and time period. A good compromise is to paint the main areas grey green, with tubular frames and heel boards in silver. The Gladiator didn't have a floor as such.
The Mk1 Gladiator normally had a varnished wooden propellor, whilst the MkII had the three-blade prop, normally black.
By wires, do you mean the 'flying wires' and rigging? If so, these were stainless steel.

Thanks Airframes:occasion5:. Yes, I thought on Gladiator I (forget to write it) and rigging.

Color of the seat was also grey-green?

Here you go. This is the Mk1 from the Shuttleworth Collection. The edge of the seat can just be seen in the second photo, with the seat-type parachute pack cushion in place. Allowing for the shadows, it appears to be in the grey green, and other B&W photos show tones suggesting this colour. It is possible that seats were also painted in 'Aluminium'.
Note that the Mk1 and the MkII had different instrument panels.
Here's a few shots I took of the Duxford machine, showing the rigging and other details.

Attachments

• Can Jan 762.jpg
    Can Jan 762.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Can Jan 765.jpg
    Can Jan 765.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 167
  • Czech 025.jpg
    Czech 025.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 152
  • Czech 026.jpg
    Czech 026.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Czech 027.jpg
    Czech 027.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Czech 028.jpg
    Czech 028.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Thank You very much Airframes, I was in doubt aluminium or grey-green seat. I'm workin' on Matchbox Gladiator and fuselage halves are now glued.

One more Gladiator I question: gunsight was ring and bead or reflector on RAF Gladiators in Egypt?

Again, depends on time period. The reflector sight was in common use in RAF fighters from the mid 1930s, so more than likely would be fitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back