**** FINISHED: 1/72 Lockheed P-38H Lightning - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

parsifal

Colonel
Apr 6, 2008
Orange NSW
1/72 Lockheed P-38H lightning - Heavy Hitters II GB

These are the completed competition entry shots for one of my entries for this Group Build. it is a model very lucky to have reached completion at all, as those of you that were following this build know. Near to the completion of this model, it suffered a major amount of damage that required a complete new tail section to be replaced. That has been done,and despite these difficulties, this model did go togther fairly well.

As a kit, I would recommend the Airfix version of this aircraft. Its a model that appears to be fairly accurate in shape and detail (for a 1/72 kit), with no obvious warping, or other imperfections in the model itself. I managed to install harness and other cockpit detailing quite successfully, scratch nuilding the harness for the first time.

I entered this kit in the belief that the aircraft it represented was used extensively in the FB role, and specifically carried 5 inch rokets in racks outboard of the engine nacelles. it wasnt until i got well into the build that I realized or was provided with conclusive evidence that the "H" subtype did not have such capability. However the H was still quite a capable FB, with significant lift capability in the inboard racks.It was used extensively in 1943 in the ground suport role, particularly in Papua. where this a/c spent quite a bit of time.

All in all I liked this build....

Entry Details

Lockheed P-38H of Maj Thomas Buchanan, 431st FS of the 475th FG, V Fighter command, V Air force, United States Army Air Force. Heavy hitters of WWII (well one of them)
User name: Parsifal
Name: Michael
Category: 1, Beginner
Kit: Airfix 1/72 "Aircraft of the aces" P-38H Lightning
Scale: 1/72.
Accessories: scratch nuilt harness but otherwise, None at this stage

Attachments

• final option 1.jpg
    final option 1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 182
  • final 7.jpg
    final 7.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 208
  • final 6.jpg
    final 6.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 185
  • final 5.jpg
    final 5.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 191
  • final 3.jpg
    final 3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 385
  • final 2.jpg
    final 2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 197
  • final 1.jpg
    final 1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 213
Last edited by a moderator:
The last time I was looking at the thread for this one, you were recovering from a rather nasty misshape and it was debatable if you would recover. Well Michael, not only did you recover with perseverance and determination, but you have ended up with a great little mode.

Congratulations mate and well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back