First area to legalize Marijuana

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No. Its not nearly as harmful as any drug like Pot, Cocaine, and Heroin. So I don't need to think again.

Yes we are. :lol:
Actually a few weeks ago, a European research discovered that the Dutch use less drugs then other countries in the EU, although it's been "legal" for the last few decades. Shows that the policy is working

I have actually read the same thing. I think that it is because in the Netherlands you can readily get it. When it is easily obtainable it looses its appeal. When it is illegal, it makes people want to do it more. It is like telling a child they can't do something.

By the way is the Bulldog still around in Amsterdam? ;)

You could say that smoking pot could cause short term affects that if something terrible were to happen could cause long term effects....due to you being in a euphoric state of mind and slow reaction time right?

Alcohol does the same thing. Whats the point?

B-17engineer said:
What does this have to do with food! I don't have a clue why you are bringing food into this. Food is different. You don't get high from food, you don't get slow reaction time from food. I don't get why this has to do with food or slaves.... like Butters was saying something about slaves....

Hey chill out! Don't get your panties in a wad. As Dan pointed out we are all friends here. You wanted this conversation...

The reason I bring food into it, is because you keep bringing up the fact that pot should remain illegal because of health reasons and the fact "that it is wasting peoples lives" and the fact that pot can cause lung cancer. Those products that I posted above, all cause cancer as well! Should people that eat them be accused of "wasting there lives", should they be illegal.

"Oh boy Harrison, put that grilled steak down right this very moment! It might cause cancer!"

Get my point...

•Problems with memory and learning
•Distorted perception
•Difficulty with thinking and problem solving
•Loss of coordination
•Increased heart rate
•Anxiety, paranoia and panic attacks

The cops would have to be pretty bored to pop anyone for possesion up here . the only thing they'd go for is the gro ops
Still don't smoke anything amd you can't gp wrong

That is the same thing over here. In Germany it is not legal, but they tolerate it when it is for personal use. As long as you are not out dealing it and so forth and you only have a small amount for a personal joint, they don't bother with you.

Not really. After Dan pointed out that I should stop being on the defensive Butters went at me. I am not going to sit and take the blows.

I always thought you didn't like me though :lol:

But pot is an illegal substance. I don't care about health issues. It sucks for the user if something happens to them.

THANKS PIET! Although I don't care about side effects it reinforces why Pot shouldn't be around.

Not really. After Dan pointed out that I should stop being on the defensive Butters went at me. I am not going to sit and take the blows.

But pot is an illegal substance. I don't care about health issues. It sucks for the user if something happens to them.

THANKS PIET! Although I don't care about side effects it reinforces why Pot shouldn't be around.

•Problems with memory and learning
•Distorted perception
•Difficulty with thinking and problem solving
•Loss of coordination
•Increased heart rate
•Anxiety, paranoia and panic attacks
Except for the increased heart rate (not sure about that one) it could just as easily be alcohol's side effects he is describing.

Wheels

I smoked it a fiar bit in my teens but don't any more. No issues at all stopping, just decided I didn't want to. I still think this country would be a much better place if people went out to get stoned rather than drunk

Ok wheels. That maybe true. But why has the TCH (Whatever the drug is) has been increased 25% since the 60's. Looks like the people want something more than what Marijuana is.

Negative. I think more people could drink responsibly than use marijuana responsibly

I should actually read. I have read.Thanks. It has no effects like pot or alcohol.

Again not true at all. I had a caffeine addiction. When I did not get my caffeine, I became restless, could not sleep (yeah it actually prevented me from sleeping), I had headaches and I became very aggressive toward others.

Pretty bad effects if you ask me.

Just a few exerts on caffeine addiction:

"Because adenosine, in part, serves to regulate blood pressure by causing vasodilation, the increased effects of adenosine due to caffeine withdrawal cause the blood vessels of the head to dilate, leading to an excess of blood in the head and causing a headache and nausea. Reduced catecholamine activity may cause feelings of fatigue and drowsiness. A reduction in serotonin levels when caffeine use is stopped can cause anxiety, irritability, inability to concentrate and diminished motivation to initiate or to complete daily tasks; in extreme cases it may cause mild depression. Together, these effects have come to be known as a "crash".

Withdrawal symptoms—possibly including headache, irritability, an inability to concentrate, drowsiness, insomnia and pain in the stomach, upper body, and joints[74]—may appear within 12 to 24 hours after discontinuation of caffeine intake, peak at roughly 48 hours, and usually last from one to five days, representing the time required for the number of adenosine receptors in the brain to revert to "normal" levels, uninfluenced by caffeine consumption. Analgesics, such as aspirin, can relieve the pain symptoms, as can a small dose of caffeine.[75] Most effective is a combination of both an analgesic and a small amount of caffeine."

"n large amounts, and especially over extended periods of time, caffeine can lead to a condition known as caffeinism.[77][78] Caffeinism usually combines caffeine dependency with a wide range of unpleasant physical and mental conditions including nervousness, irritability, anxiety, tremulousness, muscle twitching (hyperreflexia), insomnia, headaches, respiratory alkalosis, and heart palpitations.[79][80] Furthermore, because caffeine increases the production of stomach acid, high usage over time can lead to peptic ulcers, erosive esophagitis, and gastroesophageal reflux disease.[81]

There are four caffeine-induced psychiatric disorders recognized by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition: caffeine intoxication, caffeine-induced anxiety disorder, caffeine-induced sleep disorder, and caffeine-related disorder not otherwise specified (NOS)."

"An acute overdose of caffeine, usually in excess of about 300 milligrams, dependent on body weight and level of caffeine tolerance, can result in a state of central nervous system over-stimulation called caffeine intoxication (DSM-IV 305.90),[82] or colloquially the "caffeine jitters". The symptoms of caffeine intoxication are not unlike overdoses of other stimulants. It may include restlessness, nervousness, excitement, insomnia, flushing of the face, increased urination, gastrointestinal disturbance, muscle twitching, a rambling flow of thought and speech, irritability, irregular or rapid heart beat, and psychomotor agitation.[80] In cases of much larger overdoses, mania, depression, lapses in judgment, disorientation, disinhibition, delusions, hallucinations, and psychosis may occur, and rhabdomyolysis (breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue) can be provoked.[83][84]

In cases of extreme overdose, death can result. The median lethal dose (LD50) given orally, is 192 milligrams per kilogram in rats.[2] The LD50 of caffeine in humans is dependent on weight and individual sensitivity and estimated to be about 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass, roughly 80 to 100 cups of coffee for an average adult taken within a limited time frame that is dependent on half-life. Though achieving lethal dose with caffeine would be exceptionally difficult with regular coffee, there have been reported deaths from overdosing on caffeine pills, with serious symptoms of overdose requiring hospitalization occurring from as little as 2 grams of caffeine. An exception to this would be taking a drug such as fluvoxamine which blocks the liver enzyme responsible for the metabolism of caffeine, thus increasing the central effects and blood concentrations of caffeine dramatically at 5-fold. It is not contraindicated, but highly advisable to minimize the intake of caffeinated beverages, as drinking one cup of coffee will have the same effect as drinking five under normal conditions.[85][86][87][88] Death typically occurs due to ventricular fibrillation brought about by effects of caffeine on the cardiovascular system.

Treatment of severe caffeine intoxication is generally supportive, providing treatment of the immediate symptoms, but if the patient has very high serum levels of caffeine then peritoneal dialysis, hemodialysis, or hemofiltration may be required."

"Two infrequently diagnosed caffeine-induced disorders that are recognized by the American Psychological Association (APA) are caffeine-induced sleep disorder and caffeine-induced anxiety disorder, which can result from long-term excessive caffeine intake.

In the case of caffeine-induced sleep disorder, an individual regularly ingests high doses of caffeine sufficient to induce a significant disturbance in his or her sleep, sufficiently severe to warrant clinical attention.[82]

"In some individuals, the large amounts of caffeine can induce anxiety severe enough to necessitate clinical attention. This caffeine-induced anxiety disorder can take many forms, from generalized anxiety to panic attacks, obsessive-compulsive symptoms, or even phobic symptoms.[82] Because this condition can mimic organic mental disorders, such as panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder, or even schizophrenia, a number of medical professionals believe caffeine-intoxicated people are routinely misdiagnosed and unnecessarily medicated when the treatment for caffeine-induced psychosis would simply be to stop further caffeine intake.[89] A study in the British Journal of Addiction concluded that caffeinism, although infrequently diagnosed, may afflict as many as one person in ten of the population.[78] Co administration of theanine was shown to greatly reduce this caffeine-induced anxiety."

So, it does not have bad effects like pot or alcohol?

No. Its not nearly as harmful as any drug like Pot, Cocaine, and Heroin. So I don't need to think again.

We are not talking about Cocaine or Heroin. It is obvious that those should be illegal. Pot is nothing like Cocain or Heroin...

They're socially acceptable.

So is pot...

Sorry but that is not a good argument. ;)

Why would you think that?

Last edited:
No its not.

"Want a drug that could lower your risk of diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and colon cancer? That could lift your mood and treat headaches? That could lower your risk of cavities?

If it sounds too good to be true, think again.

Coffee, the much maligned but undoubtedly beloved beverage, just made headlines for possibly cutting the risk of the latest disease epidemic, type 2 diabetes. And the real news seems to be that the more you drink, the better.
Reducing Disease Risk

After analyzing data on 126,000 people for as long as 18 years, Harvard researchers calculate that compared with not partaking in America's favorite morning drink, downing one to three cups of caffeinated coffee daily can reduce diabetes risk by single digits. But having six cups or more each day slashed men's risk by 54% and women's by 30% over java avoiders.

Though the scientists give the customary "more research is needed" before they recommend you do overtime at Starbuck's to specifically prevent diabetes, their findings are very similar to those in a less-publicized Dutch study. And perhaps more importantly, it's the latest of hundreds of studies suggesting that coffee may be something of a health food -- especially in higher amounts.

In recent decades, some 19,000 studies have been done examining coffee's impact on health. And for the most part, their results are as pleasing as a gulp of freshly brewed Breakfast Blend for the 108 million Americans who routinely enjoy this traditionally morning -- and increasingly daylong -- ritual. In practical terms, regular coffee drinkers include the majority of U.S. adults and a growing number of children.

"Overall, the research shows that coffee is far more healthful than it is harmful," says Tomas DePaulis, PhD, research scientist at Vanderbilt University's Institute for Coffee Studies, which conducts its own medical research and tracks coffee studies from around the world. "For most people, very little bad comes from drinking it, but a lot of good."

Consider this: At least six studies indicate that people who drink coffee on a regular basis are up to 80% less likely to develop Parkinson's, with three showing the more they drink, the lower the risk. Other research shows that compared to not drinking coffee, at least two cups daily can translate to a 25% reduced risk of colon cancer, an 80% drop in liver cirrhosis risk, and nearly half the risk of gallstones.

Coffee even offsets some of the damage caused by other vices, some research indicates. "People who smoke and are heavy drinkers have less heart disease and liver damage when they regularly consume large amounts of coffee compared to those who don't," says DePaulis.

There's also some evidence that coffee may help manage asthma and even control attacks when medication is unavailable, stop a headache, boost mood, and even prevent cavities. Reducing Disease Risk continued...

Is it the caffeine? The oodles of antioxidants in coffee beans, some of which become especially potent during the roasting process? Even other mysterious properties that warrant this intensive study?

Actually, yes.

Some of coffee's reported benefits are a direct result of its higher caffeine content: An eight ounce cup of drip-brewed coffee contains about 85 mg -- about three and a half times more than the same serving of tea or cola or one ounce of chocolate.

"The evidence is very strong that regular coffee consumption reduces risk of Parkinson's disease and for that, it's directly related to caffeine," DePaulis tells WebMD. "In fact, Parkinson's drugs are now being developed that contain a derivative of caffeine based on this evidence."

Caffeine is also what helps in treating asthma and headaches. Though not widely publicized, a single dose of pain reliever such as Anacin or Excedrin contains up to 120 milligrams -- what's in a hefty mug o' Joe.
Boost to Athleticism

It's also caffeine -- and not coffee, per se -- that makes java a powerful aid in enhancing athletic endurance and performance, says physiologist and longtime coffee researcher Terry Graham, PhD, of the University of Guelph in Canada. So powerful, in fact, that until recently, caffeine in coffee or other forms was deemed a "controlled" substance by the Olympic Games Committee, meaning that it could be consumed only in small, designated amounts by competing athletes.

"What caffeine likely does is stimulate the brain and nervous system to do things differently," he tells WebMD. "That may include signaling you to ignore fatigue or recruit extra units of muscle for intense athletic performance. Caffeine may even have a direct effect on muscles themselves, causing them to produce a stronger contraction. But what's amazing about it is that unlike some performance-enhancing manipulation some athletes do that are specific for strength or sprinting or endurance, studies show that caffeine positively enhances all of these things."

How does this brew affect growing minds and bodies? Very nicely, it seems, says DePaulis. Coffee, as you probably know, makes you more alert, which can boost concentration. But claims that it improves a child's academic performance can be exaggerated. Coffee-drinking kids may do better on school tests because they're more awake, but most task-to-task lab studies suggest that coffee doesn't really improve mental performance, says DePaulis.

But it helps kids' minds in another way. "There recently was a study from Brazil finding that children who drink coffee with milk each day are less likely to have depression than other children," he tells WebMD. "In fact, no studies show that coffee in reasonable amounts is in any way harmful to children."

On the flip side, it's clear that coffee isn't for everyone. Its legendary jolt in excess doses -- that is, more than whatever your individual body can tolerate -- can increase nervousness, hand trembling, and cause rapid heartbeat. Coffee may also raise cholesterol levels in some people and may contribute to artery clogging. But most recent large studies show no significant adverse effects on most healthy people, although pregnant women, heart patients, and those at risk for osteoporosis may still be advised to limit or avoid coffee.
Boost to Athleticism continued...

The bottom line: "People who already drink a lot of coffee don't have to feel 'guilty' as long as coffee does not affect their daily life," says Hu. "They may actually benefit from coffee habits in the long run."

In other words, consume enough caffeine -- whether it's from coffee or another source -- and you will likely run faster, last longer and be stronger. What's enough? As little as one cup can offer some benefit, but the real impact comes from at least two mugs, says Graham. By comparison, it'd take at least eight glasses of cola to get the same effect, which isn't exactly conducive for running a marathon.

But the harder you exercise, the more benefit you may get from coffee. "Unfortunately, where you see the enhancing effects from caffeine is in hard-working athletes, who are able to work longer and somewhat harder," says Graham, who has studied the effects of caffeine and coffee for nearly two decades. "If you a recreational athlete who is working out to reduce weight or just feel better, you're not pushing yourself hard enough to get an athletic benefit from coffee or other caffeinated products."

But you can get other benefits from coffee that have nothing to do with caffeine. "Coffee is loaded with antioxidants, including a group of compounds called quinines that when administered to lab rats, increases their insulin sensitivity" he tells WebMD. This increased sensitivity improves the body's response to insulin.

That may explain why in that new Harvard study, those drinking decaf coffee but not tea beverages also showed a reduced diabetes risk, though it was half as much as those drinking caffeinated coffee.

"We don't know exactly why coffee is beneficial for diabetes," lead researcher Frank Hu, MD, tells WebMD. "It is possible that both caffeine and other compounds play important roles. Coffee has large amounts of antioxidants such as chlorogenic acid and tocopherols, and minerals such as magnesium. All these components have been shown to improve insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism."

Meanwhile, Italian researchers credit another compound called trigonelline, which gives coffee its aroma and bitter taste, for having both antibacterial and anti-adhesive properties to help prevent dental cavities from forming. There are other theories for other conditions. "

Health Benefits of Coffee - WebMD

Just a side note : legality is relative. Most drugs that are now legal were illegal back in the day... And most drugs that are illegal now were legal back in the day.

As an example, alcohol was illegal in the 1920s. But in the late 1800s/early 1900s, you could buy Opium and Morphine completely freely at any drugstore.

So your point saying that pot should stay illegal because it is currently illegal just doesn't hold water. You need to bring up facts.

Personally, I couldn't care less if pot was legal or not. I never smoked it and (most likely) never will.

One point though, a recent study proves that smoking weed in your teenage duplicate the chances of developping a psychiatric desease in your adulthood. (I.E. Skizophrenia (sorry, can't spell).)

It's an illegal substance. It is illegal for reasons. I said why Caffeine, Alcohol and Nicotine are around. So I have something to differentiate why pot isn't around. Half the people you see on TV are like any alcoholics. Slurred words etc. So what I am getting out of this as a young kid is that you guys are glorifying pot because it isn't as bad as alcohol. After everything has been said, that's all I'm getting.

No its not.

"Want a drug that could lower your risk of diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and colon cancer? That could lift your mood and treat headaches? That could lower your risk of cavities?

If it sounds too good to be true, think again.

Caffeine is in very sweet drinks as well, and therefore contributes to cavities. I should know, I destroyed my teeth in Iraq and had to have them all repaired when I returned.

Too much soda (yeap caffeine is in that as well) can cause diabetes because of the sugar levels.

Still a bad argument on your part. Sorry...;)

B-17engineer said:

Does not change the fact that it has bad side effects as well.

For the same arguments you make that "prove" that caffeine is good, you can do for marijuana as well. Yeap thats right it has benefits as well:

The Health Risks and Benefits of Using Marijuana: Does One Outweigh the Other? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Benefits of pot - AskMen.com UK

Continued...

As for the myths here are some more:

"health risk myths realities
Marijuana Overdose
There is no existing evidence of anyone dying of a marijuana overdose. Tests performed on mice have shown that the ratio of cannabinoids (the chemicals in marijuana that make you high) necessary for overdose to the amount necessary for intoxication is 40,000:1.

For comparison's sake, that ratio for alcohol is generally between 4:1 and 10:1. Alcohol overdoses claim approximately 5,000 casualties yearly, but marijuana overdoses kill no one as far as any official reports.

Brain Damage
Marijuana is psychoactive because it stimulates certain brain receptors, but it does not produce toxins that kill them (like alcohol), and it does not wear them out as other drugs may. There is no evidence that marijuana use causes brain damage. Studies performed on actual human populations will confirm these results, even for chronic marijuana users (up to 18 joints per day) after many years of use.

In fact, following the publication of two 1977 JAMA studies, the American Medical Association (AMA) officially announced its support for the decriminalization of marijuana.

In reality, marijuana has the effect of slightly increasing alpha-wave activity in your brain. Alpha waves are generally associated with meditative and relaxed states, which are, in turn, often associated with human creativity.

Memory
Marijuana does impair short-term memory, but only during intoxication. Although the authoritative studies on marijuana use seem to agree that there is no residual impairment following intoxication, persistent impairment of short-term memory has been noted in chronic marijuana smokers, up to 6 and 12 weeks following abstinence.

Heart Problems
It is accepted in medical circles today that marijuana use causes no evident long-term cardiovascular problems for normal persons. Marijuana smoking, however, does cause changes in the heart and body's circulation characteristic of stress, which may complicate preexisting cardiovascular problems like hypertension, cerebrovascular disease, and coronary atherosclerosis. Marijuana's effects on blood pressure are complex and inconsistent as of yet.

Hormones
Chronic marijuana use has not been found to alter testosterone or other sex hormone levels. In contrast, heavy alcohol use is known to lower these same testosterone levels.

Reproductive Damage
No trustworthy study has ever shown that marijuana use damages the reproductive system, or causes chromosome breakage. Studies of actual human populations have failed to demonstrate that marijuana adversely affects the reproductive system. Claims that marijuana use may impair hormone production, menstrual cycles, or fertility in females are both unproven and unfounded.

The Immune System
Studies in which lab rats were injected with extremely large quantities of THC (the active compound in marijuana) have found that marijuana (in such unrealistically huge quantities) does have an "immunosuppressive effect" in those lab rats, in that it temporarily shuts off certain cells in the liver called lymphocytes and macrophages. These macrophages are useful in fighting off bacterial, not viral, infections.

But this is only for the duration of intoxication. There also exists some evidence that marijuana metabolites remain in the lungs for up to seven months after smoking has ceased, possibly affecting the immune system of the lungs (but not by turning the cells off).

This said, doctors and researchers are still not sure that the immune system is actually negatively affected in realistic situations since there are no numbers to support the idea. In fact, three studies showed that THC might have actually stimulated the immune system in the people studied.

Cancer
Smoking marijuana has the potential to cause both bronchitis and cancer of the lungs, throat, and neck, but this is generally no different than inhaling any other burnt carbon-containing matter since they all increase the number of lesions (and therefore possible infections) in your airways.

The Gateway Effect
Marijuana use has not been found to act as a gateway drug to the use of harder drugs. Studies show that when the Dutch partially legalized marijuana in the 70's, heroin and cocaine use substantially declined, despite a slight increase in marijuana use.

If the stepping stone theory were true, use should have gone up rather than down. In reality, it appears that marijuana use tends to substitute for the use of relatively more dangerous hard drugs like cocaine and heroin, rather than lead to their use.

Thus, oftentimes strict marijuana laws themselves are the most significant factor involved in moving on to harder drugs like cocaine. Such is the case in Nevada and Arizona, the states toughest on marijuana use."

I don't think it's as socially acceptabe as caffeine or nicotine.
IMO, If it was it would be legalized by now.

Wheels

I should have put this after that (;)).

It was sort of meant as a joke, having to do with socially acceptable as in any college campus...;)

Well after my whole introduction and the Ju-87.... then the PM about me BS'ing when I first joined I thought I'd have a bad reputation with you. :oops:

I don't hold grudges. You turned yourself around 100%.

Last edited:
First link has more risks than good.

As for the myths. The Heart issues says when cooking marijuana it affects the heart. That alone is bad. Half of them back up the reasons why its bad.

So people need Marijuana to keep from being depressed? A bit weird. Still the fact the THC has been increased by 25% in the past 40 years suggest people want more outta marijuana for what it is.

Oh and thanks :D

It's an illegal substance. It is illegal for reasons. I said why Caffeine, Alcohol and Nicotine are around. So I have something to differentiate why pot isn't around. Half the people you see on TV are like any alcoholics. Slurred words etc. So what I am getting out of this as a young kid is that you guys are glorifying pot because it isn't as bad as alcohol. After everything has been said, that's all I'm getting.

Then you are not trying to understand what we are saying.

NO one here is glorifying pot use. I don't smoke it, so why would I glorify it. Yeah I did a bit in college, whats the big deal. I don't do it now, because could care less about it.

What we are saying however is that pot use is much less dangerous than alcohol and tobacco use. Facts are facts...

You keep giving reasons why it should be illegal, and we give you reasons why a). other drugs are just as bad but are legal, or b). things that counteract those "negative" things you use. There is always a counter to a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back