First Cruise to Persian Gulf (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

twoeagles

Senior Airman
Oct 18, 2006
Chambersburg
After 4 years at the Naval Academy and 3 years of flight training, my son is on his first cruise, San Diego to the Persian Gulf. He flies the MH-60S Knighthawk with HSC-23 "Wild Cards". As he sends me pictures, I will post the most interesting ones for the forum members. This is a photo of the carrier George Washington coming up to the USNS Bridge for stores transfer and aviation fuel. My son flies from the aft deck of the Bridge, a Naval supply ship nearly the size of a WW2 Essex class carrier.

Attachments

• GW.jpg
    GW.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 170
Photo's from Nagasaki...My son sees things other people might walk past, add that to his sense of humor and here is what you have: Colonel Sanders-san and Taliban Fried Chicken:

Attachments

• ColSanders.jpg
    ColSanders.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 142
  • Talibanchicken.jpg
    Talibanchicken.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 157
During night ops this week, it was my son's turn to man the tower, and he took this photo through his night vision goggles. MH-60S Knighthawk on flight deck of the USNS Bridge.

Attachments

• nightvision.JPG
    nightvision.JPG
    355 KB · Views: 146
Stopping in Sasebo, Japan, on the way west, my son took a bus to Nagasaki. Good place for a history major!
I will simply post his comments with this photo.

"oday's pic is of the Hypocenter at Nagasaki. The atomic bomb burst
about 500 meters above this spot. Just thinking about it gave me the
willies. What's more, the little park area surrounding this is built
entirely on a mound of rubble from the blast; it's not uncommon to find
shards of ceramic teacups, bits of metal, and pieces of roofing shingles
that have eroded out of the mound. Very creepy, and a good reminder of
why we never want to see another nuclear attack.

Attachments

• Hypocenter.jpg
    Hypocenter.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 145

Users who are viewing this thread

Back