Flight Attendant goes crazy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

beaupower32

Tech Sergeant
Jun 10, 2007
Lancaster, California
JetBlue flight attendant who went nuts was in bed with boyfriend when found by cops

The plane had just landed, but he was ready to take off.

A JetBlue flight attendant blew his top, grabbed some beer and bolted out an emergency slide at Kennedy Airport Monday - then headed home to have sex with his boyfriend.

After he was bonked in the head by a bag, Steven Slater stunned passengers by spewing profanity and ranting about quitting as the flight from Pittsburgh pulled up to the gate about noon.

"To the f-----g a--hole who told me to f--k off, it's been a good 28 years," Slater, 38, purred, cops said. "I've had it. That's it," he added, a passenger said.

The mad-as-hell steward grabbed a couple of brewskis and popped one open before activating the emergency exit, witnesses told airport employees.

After tossing his two carry-on bags on the slide, he followed them to the tarmac.

Slater - who actually first started working for airlines 20 years ago, not 28 - then walked to the AirTrain, stripped off his company tie and flung it off as bemused passengers watched.

"I wish we could all quit our jobs like that," said passenger Phil Catelinet, 36, of Brooklyn, who was on the flight and the AirTrain.

"He seemed kind of happy about it. He was like, 'I just quit my job.' "

Port Authority police said it took jetBlue 25 minutes to report the incident, allowing Slater time to leave the scene.

Cops found him in bed with his boyfriend when they arrived to arrest him at a beachfront home in the Rockaways with a porch overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, sources said.

He boasted to skeptical cops that he really did escape by chute with his carry-on luggage.

"Oh, yes, I did! I threw them down first and I went down after," he told cops, sources said.

He was grinning as police walked him in handcuffs to a squad car. "He left with a big smile on his face," said neighbor Curt Karkowski.

Slater was wearing a sheepish smile when Port Authority detectives walked him to a waiting van a few hours later. He was charged with reckless endangerment and criminal mischief.

JetBlue would not say how long Slater had worked for the airline, but he wrote on his MySpace page that he was "enjoying being back in the skies" after a five-year break.

"I love to max it out with trips around the world, sometimes on a moment's notice!" he gushed.

Neighbors described Slater as a nice guy, but said he was under some stress. "Steven's mother is dying," said Judy Rochelle, whose son Kenny lives with Slater. "She has lung cancer. She's had two chemos and the prognosis is not good. They were on their way out to California this weekend to settle her affairs."

Rochelle added that Slater "watched his father die of Lou Gehrig's disease not long ago. Steven's under a lot of pressure."

Slater's MySpace page, packed with photos of him posing in his jetBlue uniform, says he beat "alcoholism and substance abuse."

He apparently reached his breaking point on Flight 1052 when a passenger tried to get a bag from the overhead compartment and it clocked Slater on the head, cops said. Words were exchanged, and the passenger cursed at Slater, they said.

After the plane arrived at the gate, he took over the intercom and began spewing abuse.

"We just looked at each other and said, 'What the heck was that about?' " said Catelinet. "I thought, 'Let me get off the plane before they stop us or something.' "

He said he was stunned when he ran into Slater on the AirTrain, bragging about his "take your plane and shove it" stunt.

"It's pretty much the craziest thing I've ever seen on a plane," Catelinet said.

The brother of Slater's partner said he was "dumbfounded" by the wacky incident.

"He's an everyday ordinary guy, a nice guy," said John Rochelle, 39.

Neighbor Janet Bavasso, an ex-flight attendant, said she couldn't imagine Slater going off.

"I just can't picture him running down the tarmac," she said.

A jetBlue co-worker who was on the flight called Slater a working-class hero.

"It's something we all fantasize about," she said. "But we have kids and a mortgage or are just too chicken - or sane - to go through with it.

JetBlue flight attendant who went nuts was in bed with boyfriend when found by cops

Now I thought this was pretty funny. But also makes you think about all the crazies in the world just waiting for the right thing to set them off.

If I had to deal with the public in my job day in and day out I'd probably freak out too. Too many people these days seem to think the world revolves around them and have no concept of common courtesy to others. Sounds like this last joker just finally put him over the edge of dealing with jackass passengers.
I would have grabbed more than one beer before I hit the slide though.

that flight attendent just screwed over a ton of people! when he popped the shoot he put the plane out of commission for several hours. i dont know about embraers but on boeings and airbus the job of replacing the shoot is IIRC 2 men working at least 3 to 4 hours....and that is IF they had a shoot and mechanics on hand. if not, all would have to be flown in. if YOU were catching that plane home or to a business appointment you were seriously SOL. and then that pushed all the connecting flights back. he might of got some satisfaction but to how many hundreds of people's inconvenience?? what an @$$!!

Well, as a security officer working in a touristic place, I have to deal with the public on a daily basis... The only difference is being a security officer gives me the moral right to answer to an azzhole on the same tone I'm being talked on. Which helps to maintain a (more or less) sane mind.

If I had to deal with stupid customers on a daily basis without being able to fight back (like a flight attendant), I would go crazy.

Good on him

If I had to deal with the public in my job day in and day out I'd probably freak out too. Too many people these days seem to think the world revolves around them and have no concept of common courtesy to others. Sounds like this last joker just finally put him over the edge of dealing with jackass passengers.
I would have grabbed more than one beer before I hit the slide though.

Couldn't agree more with this. You'd be amazed by some of the questions asked at airports

I knew the guy was messed up when the cameras glued in closer and found he had grabbed 2 budweisers...............thilly thavage. what a **** up as bobbysocks said he really screwed the day up for that airlines and he will probably serve time for his stupidity. lets face it guys many of us deal with public day and night 24 x 7, it remains to be smart and have composure which this idiot did not

I think this was brilliant. I couldn't work with the public 24/7, I'd end up the same way. Not sure the report had to make a point of him being gay though. What difference does that make?

On the contrary, I think it takes a lot to stand up and give back the crap you get in day-to-day life. Like his colleague said, they all dream about doing it, but this guy was the only one to actually do it. I don't know whether he thought about his mortgage, potential jail time etc before he did it. He probably didn't and just let all the rage come out.

I don't want to get into a pointless forum debate over whether he was right or wrong, but I do find it very funny and fair play to the guy for doing something most of us (myself included) have only ever dreamed of when we are in a very dark place...

obviously we will not agree but as you said you do not work in the public force day in and out like I do.

would rather him be a man and suck up his pride as he performs for his company instead of now producing a black mark upon it no matter what the customer did to him. sometimes you need to shut the hell up.

well its all said and done and now facebook folk make a hero out of him ~ what nonsense. still say he made an unwise choice by choosing two Buds on his way out the chute

Users who are viewing this thread

Back