Flight over Holland

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
Had a great day today.
Today I flew with a C172 over Holland (the part of the Netherlands that actually is Holland). To be precise, I flew from Rotterdam to the isle of Texel and back. The C172 is owned by a friend of mine who is an instructor. I flew myself most of the way, apart from the moments that I wanted to take some pictures. My wife and my oldest son Robin were sitting in the backseat. For Robin (5 years old) it was a big event as it was the first time that ever sat in an aeroplane. This flight (see map below) took us over:
- The Hague
- Valkenburg airport, a famous WWII site (landing of German airborne troops and their defeat), still military, so I cannot post the pics.
- Zandvoort (and it's racing circuit)
- Ijmuiden (the modern harbour of Amsterdam)
- The North-Holland peninsula
- De Kooij aerodrome, famous for being base to the 1ste Java in 1940, place of the biggest dogfight by Dutch D.XXI's, still partly a military base.
- Navy harbour of Den Helder, again, cannot post the pics.
- The small and very nice airstrip of Texel
- The Waddensea, famous nature preserve and source of out earth-gas industry
- De afsluitdijk, big dam (>30 km long!) which made the Zuijderzee into the fresh-water Ijselmeer
- Pampus, with it's famous ancient fort, still protecting the old Amsterdam harbour
- Muiderslot, big medieval castle
- Utrecht
- The fairytale castle of Haarzuijlen
- Gouda
- Rotterdam

I'll post pics when I've sorted them out.

Attachments

• Nederland.jpg
    Nederland.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 209
Okay, two quick pictures.
1. Me, Robin and my friend walking towards the a/c in the back.
2. Guess which city (take a good look at the building right, below near the trees. You should recognise it).

Attachments

• IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Marcel, lucky you!
I know what you speak about. Did you have any pilot´s experience before?
How long was the flight?

Yes I've had a couple of lessons. Never got my licence (hence I need my friend as an instructor) but landed and took off some times and have a few hours in the Cessna.
The flight was 1.5 hour to get there. We landed, drank some coffee, looked around and flew back in 75 minutes or so (we had quite some tailwind). Our trip was from 14.00h untill 18.00h when we landed at Rotterdam again.

Yes I've had a couple of lessons. Never got my licence (hence I need my friend as an instructor) but landed and took off some times and have a few hours in the Cessna.
The flight was 1.5 hour to get there. We landed, drank some coffee, looked around and flew back in 75 minutes or so (we had quite some tailwind). Our trip was from 14.00h untill 18.00h when we landed at Rotterdam again.

Man, what a Friday!

Sounds like a great flight Marcel, looking forward to the pics. Is that pic The Hague?

We have a winner. Terry wins a virtual beer :occasion5: It is The Hague (Den Haag) indeed. If you look closely you'll see the "Vredespaleis", known to contain the "international court of the UN" and the special tribunals (like the Joegoslavie tribunal). I'll resize some pics tonight.

First pictures:
1. Royal palace "Noordeinde" in The Hague, here lives Queen Beatrix
2. Nederland, means "Country below (the sea)". One of the reasons we don't have to swim are the sand-dunes, I think they are beautiful
3. Robin as a real flyer.
4. Especially for Lucky, DFDS ferry "King of Scandinavia" in the Ijmuiden Harbour (acting as Amsterdam's harbour. This ship ferries to Scotland, hence my reference to Lucky :)
5. The Dutch west-coast, almost a straight line.
6. Peninsula Noord-Holland
7. Becoming an island, permanent sandbank Razendebol
8. Remains of a fortress (1572) at the island of Texel
9. Garmin showing our destination and position
10 Landing at Texel international Airport :lol:

ps. in the meantime we flew over Valkenburg, De Kooij and Den Helder. All military bases, so I'm not allowed to spread the pics :(

Attachments

• IMG_1966.JPG
    IMG_1966.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1959.JPG
    IMG_1959.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1930.JPG
    IMG_1930.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1927.JPG
    IMG_1927.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1919.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1992.JPG
    IMG_1992.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2009.JPG
    IMG_2009.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2022.JPG
    IMG_2022.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2023.JPG
    IMG_2023.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 148
Years ago Marcel when I used to race catamarans my one regret was not getting to do the Texel race looks like you had a great trip I'm glad you enjoyed it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back