Former Marine beaten unconscious protecting teen from 3 bullies

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In todays world there are many pitfalls to being a "Good Samaritan": (Newser) – Good Samaritans, beware: California's Supreme Court ruled today that a paralyzed woman can sue the friend who pulled her out of a crashed car. The victim contends that her friend, who feared the car was about to erupt into flames, pulled her out "like a rag doll" and contributed to her injuries. The court ruled that because the friend was not specifically providing medical care, she is not immune from a lawsuit, the Los Angeles Times reports.
The 4-3 ruling declared that while no one is obligated to help at the scene of an emergency, those who do must "exercise due care." It also specified that the state's Good Samaritan law protects only those who provide medical attention

A California man retaliated after an alleged burglar shot him in the head — and got sued for it.

Samuel Cutrufelli, 31, allegedly broke into 90-year-old Jay Leone's house and shot him in the jaw. Leone fired back at Cutrufelli, who is now bringing a lawsuit against Leone for shooting him "negligently"
Cutrufelli, who faces attempted murder charges for the incident, is seeking compensation for "great bodily injury, and other financial damage, including loss of Mr. Cutrufelli's home, and also the dissolution of Mr. Cutrufelli's marriage."
A Lima, Ohio Burglar has sued the man whose home he invaded and who shot him. Nineteen year old Jack White has sued 54 year old Stephen White (no relation), saying that Stephen White shot him intentionally. The younger man says that the gunshot caused serious injuries and a disability. His medical bills have reached over $35,000.00. Stephen White had just returned to his home last February and found Jack White and two others in his yard. Jack had just broken into Stephen's house and was running back to his own house nearby with a rifle and other things he had stolen from Stephen's house.
The elder Mr. White chased Jack. He confronted Jack, and the rifle that Jack had just stolen went off during a struggle for it.

Last edited:
Good Samaritans, beware: California's Supreme Court ruled today that a paralyzed woman can sue the friend who pulled her out of a crashed car. The victim contends that her friend, who feared the car was about to erupt into flames, pulled her out "like a rag doll" and contributed to her injuries. The court ruled that because the friend was not specifically providing medical care, she is not immune from a lawsuit, the Los Angeles Times reports.

People watch too much television. After 33 years in the fire service I have seen (or heard of) only 2-3 cars that "erupted into flames" as the result of an accident.

In about the ONLY time I came across an accident off duty I kept well meaning bystanders from dragging the driver of a wrecked car (1 of 4) from it and the car was on fire. A small fire around the carburetor that did not look like it was spreading. Driver was disoriented (possible head injury) and had bent the steering wheel with his chest. I was never an EMT but usually operated the Hurst tool on the job. But Mechanism of injury sure suggested that this driver stay in his seat with the least amount of movement until he could be properly removed. Carb fire was knocked down twice by bystanders portable fire extinguisher. Passenger door was open and badly bent hood allowed monitoring of the fire, drivers door would not open without tools.
Fire trucks and ambulance were on scene in 4-5 minutes.

I guess my point was that the "phone-video-tapers" who did not jump in to help can have a number of different reasons for staying put, especially in todays world of lawyers and lawsuits. Even if the lawsuit is total BS it will cost you big bucks to defend yourself and if you have some type of insurance they will pay "go-away" money to avoid a trial THEN come back at you and either drop you or raise your premiums. Like grandpappy said: "No good deep ever goes unpunished"

With no comment on right/wrong or guilty/innocent how long do you think George Zimmerman with be tied up in court(s) and how much will it cost him?

I can go one better than that...

The insurance comany of the woman who hit me is now trying to get out of thier responsibilty by saying that since she was passed out at the time of the collision, is not liable. Their reasoning is that her unguided car crossed over the center median and hit my car, therefore it's not her fault. In otherwords, had she been conscious and the car crossed over and collided with my car, then she would bear the blame for failing to maintain control of her vehicle.

I read that statement and had to stop and re-read it again. I cannot actually believe they are serious.

But they are...

Dave, unfortunately I can well believe it. I told this once before but several years ago one of my best friends was hit head on by a drunk whose car crossed the median strip to hit his car. The drunk's insurance company argued that my friend was 50% responsible for the accident since if he had not been driving on the road the accident could never have occured. The case took 8 years in court before my friend ever saw a penny of settlement

Dave, unfortunately I can well believe it. I told this once before but several years ago one of my best friends was hit head on by a drunk whose car crossed the median strip to hit his car. The drunk's insurance company argued that my friend was 50% responsible for the accident since if he had not been driving on the road the accident could never have occured. The case took 8 years in court before my friend ever saw a penny of settlement
I can believe that, I've seen all too many cases like that and have always shook my head in contempt. Never thought I'd be thrust into one of these assanine situations, though.

What !...has the world gone mad?
Yep, has been for some time now and you sound surprised! :evil4:

Last edited:
The world and its people never cease to amaze me.
Sometimes really good things happen, compassion care to those in trouble. Other times the sheer cruelty of people make me ashamed of my species.

Lawyers are a species all of their own, I'm afraid.
They can take any situation and twist it into incomprehensible nonsense.
Remember Bill Clinton asking for the definition of "Is"?
No politics, just him being the lawyer that he is. (If we can get a definition!)
I am sorry to hear that they are using such silly B.S., but that is what insurance company lawyers are for. I used to drive past the headquarters of Mutual of Omaha every now and then, and I was always struck by the number of luxury cars in the parking lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back