Forum Division

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

schwarzpanzer

Senior Airman
Aug 8, 2005
This site has many excellent Threads. However, I feel this can cause problems with Navigation. I wonder if the Sub-Forums could be further divided up? For example, WW2 General could be separated into Naval (with further sub-divisions there? - Subs, Cruisers etc?), AFV's, Infantry Small Arms etc.

Also, although the WW2 Aviation Sub-Forum is already divided, I wonder if it would benefit from going even further? For example, Weapons Systems: Rifle Calibre, Autocannon and Heavy (37mm upwards) - and rockets, bombs etc too? Engines could be separated into, say, Radials, V12's and Other?

Would require some work though. :confused:

Last edited:
I don't think aviation is a sub-forum of ww2Aircraft.net :)

If we flesh out the areas that are sub-forums to the same extent as Aviation, do you not think there's a chance the site's original identity might get lost in all the new areas? It might be better served by the title ww2.net

The theme of this site is very unambiguous, the Naval/Land/Modern are peripheral, they're good to have but I don't think they've enjoyed any marked degree of success that would warrant expansion and as stated, I wouldn't like to see the site's identity being lost.

This an aviation website for WWII but we also understand that members have other interests. Creating something like that I think that the forum would lose its aviation focus and turn into a general WWII site. But I can bring up with the other mods and admins. Who knows.

Hi all,

Very sorry, didn't want it to seem like I wanted to hurt the sites identity. As you can probably tell from my nick, I am kinda prone to tlk a lot about armour!:)

The thing is though, I think this Forum is now the best one about WW2 armour and Infantry Weapons - also post-war stuff too.

Aviation is still 3 times more popular than WW2 General though, so I don't think there's any chance of the Forums identity being lost?

The main thing for me though, is there are 1,000+ Threads in WW2 General - covering everything from handguns to Aircraft Carriers - which IMO makes it kinda hard to navigate.

In parts of Aviation too - although Radar has only 21 Threads, and is easy to navigate, weapons has 216, and isn't- IMO due to the broad range of subjects it encompasses - everything from rifle calibre to 75mm even A-bombs!

The worst culprit is 'Other Mechanical Systems Tech' - with 349 - perhaps because it's too broad a subject perhaps? - Maybe it could be cut up into 'Airframes' and such? - Or even further, and have things like 'Fuselages' 'Control Surfaces' etc? (Can't remember the parts of a plane off the top of my head, sorry!:oops:).

While I understand what you are saying, the more sections that get added, the more difficult it is to find what you are looking for. We are trying to keep the sections limited so that you don't get overwhelmed on your first visit. I do think we could use more categories, I am just unsure of how granular we want to get.

Hi les,

Tried that - but you still get a massive list!:lol: I suppose it also causes Threads to be duplicated - worsening the problem.

Hi evanglider,

I think it actually would make it a lot easier to navigate. Having a massive Welcome page would be a problem though - which would just be moving the problem, not eliminating it. :idea:I have had an idea though: Would it be possible to have a 2nd page, very like the Welcome page, where there are further divisions, for each category?

For example: Welcome page - As it is now, click on 'WW2 General', as usual. This would then take you to a second page, looking very much like a scaled-down version of the main page, where there are further sub-categories, such as AFVs, Warships, Rifles, Machineguns etc. You could even take this further and have a 3rd page? - for example: Main page - WW2 General - Ships - Aircraft Carriers.

You could also do this with Aviation, for example: Welcome page - click on Weapons; 2nd page: divided into rifle-calibre, bombs etc.

It would be complicated (?), but it's just an idea.

Hi les,

Tried that - but you still get a massive list!:lol: I suppose it also causes Threads to be duplicated - worsening the problem.

Hi evanglider,

I think it actually would make it a lot easier to navigate. Having a massive Welcome page would be a problem though - which would just be moving the problem, not eliminating it. :idea:I have had an idea though: Would it be possible to have a 2nd page, very like the Welcome page, where there are further divisions, for each category?

For example: Welcome page - As it is now, click on 'WW2 General', as usual. This would then take you to a second page, looking very much like a scaled-down version of the main page, where there are further sub-categories, such as AFVs, Warships, Rifles, Machineguns etc. You could even take this further and have a 3rd page? - for example: Main page - WW2 General - Ships - Aircraft Carriers.

You could also do this with Aviation, for example: Welcome page - click on Weapons; 2nd page: divided into rifle-calibre, bombs etc.

It would be complicated (?), but it's just an idea.

Depends on the forum software. With some, you don't have to always display all sub-forums on the main page, and they'll only be shown once you enter the category. I don't know how it is with this software though.

As the mods are the ones who have to monitor the threads, it should take the form they can best handle.
As has been said SP, the focus here is of course on WW2 aviation, though I would agree the 'general' section could maybe be divided into 'land' and 'sea' categories.

Thanks DerAdler/all.:D I just thought I'd put the idea down, also maybe try to offer help on how to do it, without hurting the sites identity. Nice to know it's been considered before.

I think though, that the subjects in the Threads under WW2 General have little to do with their titles - as we're always going OFFTOPIC.:oops::lol:

I would consider doing my own Forum - but wouldn't want to draw members away from here.:confused: I still think this is THE best Forum for WW2 General, Post War Aviation and Post-War General, not to mention WW2 Aircraft.8)

Thanks again,

Schwarzy

We do appreciate your suggestions. We welcome suggestions from anyone.

This subject is being discussed and I am sure we are going to come to some ideas on what to do with it soon.

Hi DerAdler,

Thanks.:)

We welcome suggestions from anyone.

Even from me?! :shock::lol:8)

This subject is being discussed and I am sure we are going to come to some ideas on what to do with it soon.

Thanks again. I'll be happy with that, so long as the decision isn't "Let's silence Schwarz".:shock::lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back