Forum Veterans

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lets get some more participation...

Here is mine contribution.

B Co. 2-1 Avn. - 2000-2006 Katterbach, Germany
Operation Joint Guardian KFOR 4B, Kosovo - Oct. 2002-August 2003
Operation Iraqi Freedom 2, Camp Speicher, Iraq - Feb. 2004-Feb. 2005

372_33007467205_2425_n.jpg

Great stuff guys!
I enlisted into the regular Army straight out of high school at the age of 17. I served from 2000 - 2005 as an Air defence gunner in the Army's 16th Air Defence regiment down in Adelaide. My first posting in the regiment was to 110 bty which was equipped with rapier missile systems. I quite enjoyed my time on the Rapier and associated radar trackers. In 2002 I obtained my para wings before being posted to 111bty in preparation for deployment to the Persian Gulf aboard HMAS Kanimbla. 111bty was equipped with the RBS-70 which had special mounts made up to provide point defence for the Kanimbla (from both air surface threats) which is the minor role I played in the Iraq war. We were on station in the AO before the commencement of hostilities and still remember watching many a cruise missile being launched against Iraqi targets.
I discharged from the Army in 05 to pursue a job I had successfully applied for in the railways ending my short but overall enjoyable Army career.
Some pics I took in the Gulf can be seen here http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/personal-gallery/wildcats-deployment-pics-1619.html I have many more but unfortunately don't have a scanner at the moment.

Attachments

• me1_134.jpg
    me1_134.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 184
As a Swede (we had a conscript army) I did my service in 1988 as an AntiTankGun sqd ldr.
In -94 I did a tour with The Swedish International Forces (under UN flag) in Bosnia as sqd ldr.
Did a 2:nd tour -96.

Which unit did you serve with? I did a short exchange with the Swedish Army in 1995 with Angermanland Arctic Brigade 21 (NB 21) in Sollefteå. I had a great time, my first exposure to winter warfare and my first exposure to skiing (much to the amusement of my hosts). I was genuinely impressed with the way the Swedish Army operated in the field.

I travelled to Sweden from Northern Ireland, so took four bottles of Bushmills Whiskey with me - a shrewd move which made me a popular dinner guest during my stay!

Steve did you get to retain your rank when you transferred to the ARA or did you drop down one?

I retained MAJ, but lost seniority - I was a year 8 MAJ in-zone for promotion when I left the British Army but dropped to a Year 2 MAJ on transfer (which was fine as I retained pay equivalence and had I stayed it would have let me build up enough reports to have a chance at promoting). I found the move to the ARA was really well handled and they did all they could to make the transition as easy as possible. Met some quality people.

I was born in Split, went to high school college there :) Worked there, also (3 years), last 8 years been working in Trogir, 5 km from Divulje. If you were traveling from Split to Bosnia, then I guess you've passed through a small town of Trilj over it's bridge - lived there almost 30 years.

I retained MAJ, but lost seniority - I was a year 8 MAJ in-zone for promotion when I left the British Army but dropped to a Year 2 MAJ on transfer (which was fine as I retained pay equivalence and had I stayed it would have let me build up enough reports to have a chance at promoting). I found the move to the ARA was really well handled and they did all they could to make the transition as easy as possible. Met some quality people.

Good stuff mate. We had a couple of WO's who came over but they had to drop back to SGT, not that they cared as they were both thrilled to be here - nice guys too.

This is great, I guess the most exciting thing I ever got to do was play Santa Claus for the Wolfhound Orphanage in Osaka Japan. Received the key to the city of Osaka doing that. I have a video tape of the Orphanage and the party with the kids. I was the only guy in the room with shoes one. :) Was also in Malaysia, in camp Palada near Johor Baru. We had been sent to teach the Malays how to fight tanks in the jungle. They were worried because of the tanks left in Vietnam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back