FW 200 Condor

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

carman1877

Airman
May 14, 2009
Need good pictures or videos of the Condor I couldnt find to may on search engines. Any interesting facts always wanted.

Also did it ever srafe targets? Pictures or videos if you can

Thanks

fw200n5.jpg

FW200.JPG

FW200C1.jpg

fw200.jpg

Try this video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuF4wGkHA5g

Hey by the way, found your post on defense talk... I think that the Condor could carry a torp

the book has already been published via Ian Allan/Classic Publications

go pick up a copy, also a couple of you tube vids are in place for your enjoyment as well

check old book dealers for other books on the big K, use amazon it is your friend

I wonder why the FW 200 condor wasn't used during the Battle of Britain. Did it not operate well at high altitudes?

That might be it, but it also might be because it was primarily designed for maritime duties. It also may not have had a very good net effectiveness. I mean this by that the Fw-200 could carry 3,000kg of bombs while much smaller aircraft such as the Ju-88 and He-111 could carry 3,600kg (overload) and 2,500kg respectively. It may not have been as cost effective to use a four engined bomber that could carry almost as much as two engined bombers could. Just a theory, maybe some more knowledgable people can chime in.

Thanks Everybody, and that video helped to clear everything up. Flyboy thanks for the torpedo answer.

it could NOT carry a torpedo by the way. the unit KG 40 bombed shipping as well as strafed as much of the decking of Allied ships as possible once it flew over the intended target to keep the AA gunners down if at all possible. also it was a rarity to see two Kondors anywhere close to one another in flight or on the attack, primarily if at all possible to fly out of the sun low or even low over the white caps in foul weather

you best bet for answers is focus on composing a library and not depend on the net.

FW200Condor.jpg

fw200.jpg

fw200_03.jpg

Never heard of them carrying a standard topedo, only bombs, mines, and missles. I'd heard of some tests on special guided torpedos (Henschel IIRC) - not sure if that what being thought of.

Never heard of them carrying a standard topedo, only bombs, mines, and missles. I'd heard of some tests on special guided torpedos (Henschel IIRC) - not sure if that what being thought of.

G'day VB. The first photo in your post above is a Junkers Ju-290.

Some artwork by Mike Bradrocke for AE No.67.

From top to bottom;
200C-3
200C-4
200C-4/U1-U2
200C-4/U3
200C-6
200C-8/U10.

Everybody beat me to it!! :)

I would venture a guess that at the time of BoB, the Luftwaffe still wasn't convinced about using heavy bombers w/ 4 engines. RIP General Wever.

Structural weakness of Fw 200 design also must be considered. This aircraft was primarily designed as airliner and only later military version was developed as maritime recon-bomber. There was many times when Fw 200 broke her back on landing. I think that this is the main reason why this aircraft was never considered by the Luftwaffe as heavy bomber.

Last edited:
correct Vikings pic is a late Ju 290A of FAGr 5, I have a couple of photos including full length fuselage shot in my base.

the maritime recon was a joke and it is interesting that KG 40 was able to kick out as much success as they had. FAGr 5 took over armed recee but was not really in the attack mode but in surveliance only allowing the KM to use it's U-Boot force to it's fullest, at least that was what was proposed in theory. This indeed was one of the worst blunders of the war for the Third Reich as little to no working capabilities between the Luftwaffe and the Kreigmarine.

Grame thanks for the schematics of the Kondor variants, although the C-6 depicted would of carried the FuG 200 "H" radar as standard

E ~

Last edited:
The biggest asset the Condor had was its range. It could track the convoys so the U-Boats and surface ships could attack.

but it was not enough this is reason why FAGr 5 although in too limited numbers replaced the KG 40 units Fw 200's on the maritime recon role

Users who are viewing this thread

Back