FW190D-9 Suggestions for Next Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
When I finish my Avenger, I plan to pull out an already-started Tamiya FW190D-9 and finish it. Since getting this kit about 3 years ago, I've also accumulated some after market parts to make this a more accurate build - Quickboost exhausts and an MDC resin engine plug set but no after market decals. I have also since bought the Eduard D-9 with the Ta152 tail but this has decals and a complete fuselage for a D-9. So I'm looking for suggestions from the LW experten on a model to depict, if possible without getting yet another set of decals. The choices I have are:

1) Blue 15 of 4/JG301. Tamiya kit decals but no W.Nr supplied. Did this machine actually exist or is it actually item 4?
2) Black <II of Stab JG4. Tamiya kit decals but no W.Nr supplied
3) Black 12 10/JG54 W.Nr 210079 flown by Theo Nibel. Tamiya kit decals
4) Yellow 15 of II/JG301 W.Nr 500666. Full decals set from Eduard
5) White 11 of 10 or 13/JG51 W.Nr 213097. Full decals set from Eduard

I`m interested in knowing of photo references for any of the above and the accuracy of the kit decals. I have a reference pics of items 3 and 4 and was thinking that I might reserve the yellow 15 (item 4) to build a dio depicting the aircraft as seen in the photos with the wings removed at Langansalza in the spring of 1945 as I have the extra Eduard fuselage.

I`m kinda leaning toward item 5 so would be interested in any opinions on the accuracy of the Eduard decals, the colour scheme, and any reference pics. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Getting awfully close '13' with them 11, 12 and 15...mate! ;) :lol:

Difficult one, think that I'd go with #5 as well, not often that you see a JG51 Dora built, but then, JG301 is JG301! 8)

*pheeew!* :lol:

There you go then, if you got the Ta lined up for '301, I'd definitely go with the one from '51!

Thanks guys. It's between 4 and 5 now though leaning toward 5 as I'll be doing a 301 Ta152 in future. If anyone could point me to reference pics of 5 it would be appreciated.

CR do a red 5 Dora 9 of Jg 301. the 6th staffel in JG 301 was the first staffel to incorporate the Dor getting rid of it's A-9's. in fact this is the high protective staffel that Reschke mentions in his Jg 301/301 book. every number in Red was used for this staffel right up to 15.

CR do you actually need one ?

Please refer to Reschke's volume as it shows several 6th staffel machines as well as EE's Dora volume 1. many of the II./JG 301 Doras did bnot carry a werke nummer. the red number is not outlined. the staffels machines were pretty much painted in a characteristic scheme. Again go to eagle-editions and search out their JG 301 decals and you will see what I mean.

HTH

E ~

Was about to pick up both of Crandall's Dora volumes l and II form EE last night until I found out the shipping price - $61. Yikes!!!! So they remain in EE's warehouse.

Was about to pick up both of Crandall's Dora volumes l and II form EE last night until I found out the shipping price - $61. Yikes!!!! So they remain in EE's warehouse.

Well they are weighty tomes :)

I got my paws on both volumes as soon as I could and absolutely love them. I've hardly opened a JaPo book since!

Steve

that is totally nutz with a capital N. might be just as good to pick up EE's two decal sheets on JG 301 Doras ? and to further this some of the II./JG 301 Doras did not have the horizontal red gruppe bar applied......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back