GB #17 Jet age / Recon / Transport Question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I actually did some work on the Shrike. Sprayed the major interior parts and did a dark wash on them, but not really anything to take pictures of yet.

I've been doing sod all for weeks! Just getting motivated now to finish the Sea Fury, and get back to a commission build. Then maybe get my finger out and start on something new.
I guess it's the depressing weather at this time of year, and the effects it has on the arthritis - when I've had the enthusiasm, I've been too stiff and sore, and when I've been able to use my hands, I've been too lethargic!

Work has been....well, tough to say the least and other 'things' that happened, completely f*cked me up! :(
Looking for wee sparks here and there...

Cheers for the pic Geo!

forjan_zpsbaf26d04.jpg

In this era who celebrates Christmas is normal models do not, the family gets together, visits friends and other acquaintances leaves no time, I like not always welcome, whether it's my free time employment distract While playing with my daughter or with my plastic ....

Like the Phoenix, just rising out of the humdrum of the holidays.

Not sure if I'm too late Jan, but have just found these in my Squadron Signal No 30 book. hope they help.

P-38-F-4A-1 1.jpg

P-38-F-4-1 LO.jpg

P-38-F-4A-1 2.jpg

P-38-F-4A-1 3.jpg

Okay, I've found another, of what appears to be, version of the F6Fsh camera port. What I have seen up to this time is the camera mounted with a port side shooting direction. The photos I have seen show a round opening. Now this second one shows up. Am I right the this one is in fact an F6F? This opening seems to be on the Starboard side. I cannot see any text or any other clue that the photo has been flip flopped. Can anyone spot anything to suggest it has. The opening seems to be something like the covers on a P-38, a bit bigger, and attached from the outside, which makes sense. The trap door on the underside is shown as well.

Anyone who can clear this up for me I would be in their debt.

***Oh, and were the guns removed? Or left in? Did they fly recon, or use the camera on regular ops?

###Well, in my searching I have found that the top picture is most likely Royal Navy as they had a different config of the placement of the camera. The camera was on the Port side, so this photo is probably flopped over.

I do still need to know if the guns were left in the wings.

Attachments

• Bikini_F6F-5P.jpg
    Bikini_F6F-5P.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 93
  • F6F5P.jpg
    F6F5P.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Dunno Kevin, don't have it...... if anyone out there has the SS Hellcat book...?

I have the following books on the hellcat. Most of the info I had I posted in the tech section on the subject.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/technical-requests/manuals-people-looking-6091-13.html

Aircram Grumman F6F-3/5 Hellcat Number 19
F6F Hellcat in action Number 36
Hellcat Aces of World War 2
F6F Hellcat in detail and scale Volume 1
F6F Hellcat in detail and scale Volume 2
Grumman F6F Hellcat by Aero
F6F Hellcat by Monografie Volume 15
Grumman F6F Hellcat Volume 10
F6F Hellcat at War by the At War Series
Walk Around F6F Hellcat Number 9

Thanks Paul

Last edited:
Thanks Mcrow, I had seen them in that thread, and just had a brain f@rt and not remembered. It's an age thing. Just like forgetting the links Vic sent me for the tubing for stringing my F2b. Sorry.

Thanks Mcrow, I had seen them in that thread, and just had a brain f@rt and not remembered. It's an age thing. Just like forgetting the links Vic sent me for the tubing for stringing my F2b. Sorry.

Not a problem, actually even with all those book there is not much info on the model. Hope they help.

All the best
Paul

Yep, I have enough to go on now, and an image of the camera. So I will have a crewman under the plane servicing the camera which will be on a tarp. I want to detail the double row engine and may have the cowls off with compartment details. A stretch, but I never make anything easy on myself.

Yep, I have enough to go on now, and an image of the camera. So I will have a crewman under the plane servicing the camera which will be on a tarp. I want to detail the double row engine and may have the cowls off with compartment details. A stretch, but I never make anything easy on myself.

Very cool, I may have to stick around and watch this build :) You find yourself needing more info let me know. Will see what I can do.

All the best
Paul

looking at books and magazines I found some pictures of the F4, F5-A-10-Io and F5 G.
besides the coloring scheme F4 de l'Armee de l'Air Group 2/33.
if you serve something ......

F-4
4_zps4cdba712.png

camera placement side of the nose

6_zpsb0a9218c.png

F-5a-10-lo

7_zps790a9f55.png

F-5 G

8_zpsca126d6d.png

The cockpit of F5a-10-lo

9_zps3de404d4.png

pics of F-4