GB 28 Discussion

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

110G is definitive night fighter and will be good to have at least one in this GB.

I've been searching around looking for a bird that doesn't have a typical dark, single-color night scheme. The Luftwaffe offers lots of choices in this regard but given that I am planning a Ta152H-1, a 1/32 Dora and maybe a 109K-4 for GB 29, I thought it'd be good to try at least one non-Luftwaffe night scheme.

In my research, I stumbled on this bird...

F6F-3NVMFN-534Guam8-44.jpg

A Hellcat has been on my to-build list and the Eduard kit seems to be a good one so I think I'll make this F6F-3N my first subject.

I have an Eduard kit in the stash John so I'll be watching. Mine however, will be in a future GB, flaming red with nice pink tail feathers

Geo

The Eduard Hellcat is pretty shake and bake. Built two of them for earlier GB's. Very slight gaps in the wing to fuselage joint are the only putty that may be needed and it's best applied using the tape and nail-polish remover technique.

The Eduard Hellcat is pretty shake and bake. Built two of them for earlier GB's. Very slight gaps in the wing to fuselage joint are the only putty that may be needed and it's best applied using the tape and nail-polish remover technique.

I'd really like to use your previous builds as a guide but it looks like the photo attachments on older posts are still missing since the recent forum update. Hopefully they'll be back online soon... an invaluable resource for us.

I've been using Milliput White as my no-sanding-required filling technique. Pretty easy to do since the stuff is water-soluble and no tape is required. I'll outline the technique if I use it in the next build.

Can I do a f6f in Royal Navy colours?

I think so. Keep in mind that the theme of GB 28 is night warfare. The Wikipedia entry for the F6f Hellcat says,

The British Fleet Air Arm (FAA) received 1,263 F6Fs under the Lend-Lease Act; initially it was known as the Grumman Gannet Mark I. The name Hellcat replaced it in early 1943 for the sake of simplicity, the Royal Navy at that time adopting the use of the existing American naval names for all the U.S.-made aircraft supplied to it, with the F6F-3 being designated Hellcat F Mk.I, the F6F-5, the Hellcat F Mk.II and the F6F-5N, the Hellcat NF Mk.II.[Note 7] They saw action off Norway, in the Mediterranean and in the Far East. A number were fitted with photographic reconnaissance equipment similar to the F6F-5P, receiving the designation Hellcat FR Mk.II.[47]

If you can find markings for a Hellcat NF Mk.II, I'd say go for it. The 1/72 Eduard F6F-5N release has markings for a Hellcat NF...

Art-Grumman-F6F-5N-Hellcat-Mk.II-NF-FAA-892NAS-KD127-Drem-Airbase-Great-Britain-May-August-1945-0B.jpg

About 70 were sent to the British..."No. 892 Naval Air Squadron was reformed in April 1945 as a night fighter squadron with 16 Hellcat NF Mk.IIs. After a short deployment onboard HMS Premier, the squadron was subsequently undertaking night fighter training at Drem Airbase till the end of the WWII. The Hellcat depicted was built for the US Navy and bore the BuNo.79015. It was purchased then by the Royal Navy and coded KD 127. The British roundels are applied on the original US camouflage scheme. The wing armament is not clear from the reference photo, but 20mm cannon seem to be the most likely."

Geo

EDIT: cross posted with John

I thought this would be a good opportunity to contribute some research but by the time I finished typing, there were already four responses! You guys are too fast!

From Grumman F6F Hellcat | Classic Warbirds

"The Grumman Hellcat would also see service with the Fleet Air Arm and the F6F-3 was originally called the Gannet Mk I before reverting back to its original Hellcat name later and equipped No. 800 Squadron with whom it would first see action with the Fleet Air Arm stationed aboard HMS Emperor during December 1943. Although most of the Fleet Air Arm Hellcats would serve in the Far East with the British Pacific Fleet, with twelve squadrons equipped with either the Mk I or Mk II (F6F-5) by VJ Day. Two night fighter squadrons, Nos. 891 and 892 based at Eglinton, Northern Ireland, were set-up with the Hellcat Mk NF.II night fighter though these would not see service during World War 2."

Geo

I thought this would be a good opportunity to contribute some research but by the time I finished typing, there were already four responses! You guys are too fast!

Every response is valued John. I might clip out the first paragraph I see but you may read the whole article and spot something more relevant to the cause.

Geo

Note that GB28 time frame is WWII.

Geo's quote says "Nos. 891 and 892 based at Eglinton, Northern Ireland, were set-up with the Hellcat Mk NF.II night fighter though these would not see service during World War 2".

The A-26 box art posted above has post-war markings so would not fall in the GB28 time frame. I don't know much abut the A-26 but you'll need to keep it to a night operator in WWII.

I'll see if I can find a WW2 A-26 NF.

Geo

Off the get-go..."The 47th BG at Grosseto, in Italy was the only group to be equipped with the A-26 in the MTO. The unit operated a mixed fleet of A-26Bs and -Cs from the autumn of 1944 through to the end of the war. Night intruder missions were routinely flown by the group, hence a number of it's A-26Cs were painted black overall." The photo shows no special markings, on the tail is a plane number and s/n. I'll look around for others

Last edited:
Note that GB28 time frame is WWII.

Geo's quote says "Nos. 891 and 892 based at Eglinton, Northern Ireland, were set-up with the Hellcat Mk NF.II night fighter though these would not see service during World War 2".

The A-26 box art posted above has post-war markings so would not fall in the GB28 time frame. I don't know much abut the A-26 but you'll need to keep it to a night operator in WWII.

Ah good catch! I did not notice the date on that profile... August 1945. I guess that would disqualify this NF from the GB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back