GB-37 1/48 Do 17Z-2 - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff Don.
I haven't looked closely at the instructions in my D0-17 kit, but I'm guessing the choice of exhausts is possibly dependent on whether or not the engines are displayed with the cowling panels hinged open.
The ICM He-111 has complete Jumo engines, with all the bits and pieces, and the cowling panels can be left off, although I'll have mine fully cowled, and probably omit some, if not all of the engine parts.

Thanks guys.
I haven't looked closely at the instructions in my D0-17 kit, but I'm guessing the choice of exhausts is possibly dependent on whether or not the engines are displayed with the cowling panels hinged open.
No Terry you can open one or both top cowls, but there are two different types of exhaust on the Do. I don't know if they ran with both engines the same if one could be one type or the other, of there is a difference in the engine mod that makes for a different exhaust but there are two different types of exhaust.

OK. Here is a set of pics that , believing the captions , show the kite. Not of too great quality but I would say that the exhaust pipes at the top of the engine cowling can be noticed. Additionally I have enlarged the interesting areas and marked what I mean. According to that you need to use the D21 and D22 parts for the pipes and the cowling parts with the holes at the top.

Do-17Z-8.KG76-(F1+FS)-WNr-2555-Heitsch-crew-shot-down-over-Shoreham-England-15th-Sep-1940-02.jpg

Do-17Z-8.KG76-(F1+FS)-WNr-2555.jpg

Dornier-Do-17Z-8.KG76-(F1+FS)-WNr-2555-being-salvaged-Shoreham-England-15th-Sep-1940-03.jpg

Do-17Z_a.jpg

Do-17Z_b.jpg

Good stuff Don.
Note that this particular aircraft was fitted with a smoke-producing unit in the tail which at first was thought to be a flamethrower !
It's purpose was to lay a heavy smoke trail, either as a screen, or to deceive attacking fighters, and the main part, the projecting tube, was mounted externally, and can be seen in the second pic posted by Wojtek in Post # 129 above.
The 'tube' extends just past the tail-planes, and feed pipe appears to run the length of the fuselage.

Note that this particular aircraft was fitted with a smoke-producing unit in the tail which at first was thought to be a flamethrower !
It's purpose was to lay a heavy smoke trail, either as a screen, or to deceive attacking fighters, and the main part, the projecting tube, was mounted externally, and can be seen in the second pic posted by Wojtek in Post # 129 above.
The 'tube' extends just past the tail-planes, and feed pipe appears to run the length of the fuselage.

The tube above and centerline between the rudders?

Yep, that's the one. That's the nozzle, which appears to have a bracket at the inboard end. The 'feed tube', of slightly smaller diameter, looks to run the length of the fuselage, and possibly enters at the rear of the cockpit rear bulkhead, although I haven't been able to find any further info on this.

Doing good Don and nice bit of info Terry, it's amazing the things they used to try with those kites back then.

I haven't seen any other info on this fitting, but just going off what can be seen in the pic, I'd guess that the nozzle end, the bit between the elevators, would be about three to four feet long, and probably about four inches in diameter. the pipe, or hose whatever, leading from this forward up the fuselage was maybe 2 inches in diameter, possibly a bit larger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back