GB-37 1/48 Do 17Z-2 - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

3M Post It tape
I've used this stuff and had so-so results. It has abit more tack than post-it notes. Works well on bare plastic but so-so on painted surfaces especially flats
S-15998.jpg

Thanks for the info Mike.
Normally, where possible, I use Tamiya 10mm tape, and for large areas, like on the Heinkel in my current GB build, I use the 10mm on the edges (cut to narrower strips if required), and the Tamiya 40mm tape to 'fill in' the central area, held down at the edges by the 10mm tape.
The Tamiya 40mm tape is a different type to their narrower tapes, being Kamoi tape, with less tack, and a 'textured' surface, quite like the type used by car paint shops, and doesn't 'seal' as well at the edges, especially over a curved surface such as an aerofoil wing section.
I tried using 'Post-It' note pads many years ago and, as with the 40mm tape, it was OK for 'filling in', but unreliable for precise masking.
I think I'd rather spend a lot more time masking using a 'known' product, and have it work as intended, than risk having to re-mask and / or re-paint due to imperfect masking.

Found a bit more info on that 'smoke generator' fitting on your Dornier, Don.
I forgot that the info was in a book on the Do-17 that i have !
It actually was a flame thrower, a modified Army weapon, intended to be fired by the rear gunner, to set fire to, or at least deter a fighter approaching from the rear, but was thought, at first, to be a smoke generator of some sort, by the RAF investigators.
Apart from the external pipe and rear nozzle 'jet', there was a large tank containing oil and nitrogen, and a smaller hydrogen tank carried internally.
The oil was injected under nitrogen pressure into the pipe, and ignited by an injection of hydrogen, fired electronically by the rear gunner.
However, the significantly lower temperatures at altitude, and lack of oxygen, seem to have been forgotten and, when fired, the 'weapon' just released a stream of oil.
This did, however, cover an attacking Hurricane in oil, forcing the pilot to break off, due to lack of forward vision, but when the Dornier began to emit smoke and flame from the rear, it encouraged further attacks by more fighters, thinking it was a 'sitting duck', and the aircraft was shot down, with the crew badly wounded.
Rolf Heitsch, the pilot, put the aircraft down at 12.10 hrs, on 15th September, 1940, at Castle Farm, near Shoreham, Kent. The rear gunner, Fw. Scmid, was quickly taken to hospital, but died of his wounds.
No other 'weapons' of this kind had been found before or since this incident.

Thanks guys, Mike I've not had any issues with the Post it Tape on acrylic but thanks for the input. I do have issues with the Tamiya tape taking up acrylic though and use it sparingly.
So I am masking the canopy and other glazings. The decals come with a motex mask set and
mask3.jpg

while I have use them in the past on a couple of kits, this Monogram Devastator to be noted, and had good results,
dev2.jpg
dev4.jpg

I'm not very happy with this set. In some places it is too large and others to small. The front screens it is too wide and not tall enough, other places it does not even cover half the windows.
mask6.jpg
mask5.jpg
mask7.jpg

The lower glazing, bombadier's station is very short on coverage.
mask4.jpg

To late and too broke to get the Eduard set have to do it the old fashioned way and I'm not to far from Terry in the loss of feeling in my arms and hands. I have had pinched nerves in my C5 and C6 vertebrae for years resulting in constant numbness and pain in rt arm and both hands. Ain't getting along in years fun?

I've had a few cases of not getting a good adhesion on acrylic FLATS with the Post-it tape. The pressure from the airbrush causes it to move. It's a tricky proposition of too sticky and not enough.
Yes I've had that, Most of the time I can hold in place or shot at an angle that allows it to work anyway, but I find that for something like the German splinter pattern it works well. I use Frisket tape for others or free hand for most US patterns.

Bit of a let down with those masks.
I have to mask using tape, as I very much doubt I'd be able to accurately place pre-cut masks on a complex canopy. even if they did fit correctly !
Hope you get it sorted without too much pain or hassle Don.

I had some problems the first time I used a canopy mask and think that it was because I was touching the sticky part with my big fat greasy fingers too much. After that I used tweezers and my Xacto #11 to do most of the handling and positioning and had fewer problems, though it is still a tedious process

I've used Montex masks several times and the fit has always been excellent. It looks as though those masks may have been designed for a kit from a different manufacturer??

Ran into an issue yesterday. Seems that the lower nose glazing can be anyone of three parts, I, in hast, picked the wrong part and somewhere in the process the correct part cam off the tree and under my chair and now is in pieces. I'll have to contact Squadron about a replacement part. Good lord only knows how long that may take. I'll work the He 111 and the CH-53 till then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back