GB 41 Pacific Theatre of Operations from 1937 (including China war from 1937)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You are invited.........5 bucks. The Japanese had a Ju 87, a 109 and a 190

Take a cheque ? I knew the Japanese had the 109 and 190 but I thought it was just a couple of planes and all they did was fart around with them. Never knew they had the 87. I think they had a Me 410 as well ? I have also read that they had a Heinkel 100 and Kawasaki used it as a basis for the Hein. They certainly look similar !

87A, very cool scheme...

1547296381969.png

FROM THIS SITE

I was looking at pictures of that on the interweb. I have 3 Ju 87 kits, Airfix, Italeri and Revell. None of them are an A model so I don't know how I would get around the early fatso wheel spats. The roundels would be easy to just make stencils out of. It's a possibility, maybe I'll look and see if anyone makes a resin wheel spat conversion ? That is a very cool looking camo pattern, I wonder what colours they used ?

Last edited:
These spats aren't the only parts you would have to replace. Also the spinner, engine cowling and the cockpit canopy. What is more the fuselage at the front and rear areas where the cockpit canopy comes has to be corrected by making a new shape in the cross section. Of course these corrections need to be made if you would use one of the Airfix, Italeri and Revell kits that are of the B variants I guess.

Unless you can find the Special Hobby 1/72 kit series of the Anton

SPH00072169.jpg
SPH00072136.jpg
SPH00072123.jpg

or the 1/48 one..

SH48007.jpg

Looks like Special Hobby is the only game, but $35.00USD plus shipping, that's gonna be about a C note by the time it gets to Turdo dollars ! ?? I gotta try and save SOME money for scotch ! I may take you up on the decal offer though. Meanwhile I'll keep looking.

Yep.. the SH kits are quite expensive. I'm still in two minds about buying of the SH 72136 kit that is offered by my LHS. Therefore I have planned using the older Airfix 1/72 kit for the B kite. Making of these spats from scratch is quite easy and shouldn't be a problem. The other corrections are a piece of cake.

Been giving some thought to jumping in the pond once again. My first thought was the Douglas A-20 in the G gunship version. The 5th AF used then quite a bit in the Pacific. I also have its bigger more powerful brother the A-26B Invader the only US aircraft to serve in three wars WWII, Korea, and Vietnam

I'm having issues, I think I'm ADHD at times. I just can't make up my mind. Though I want to do the carrier borne aircraft, and I know there a night fighters build coming up, (in two years), I really want to get my teeth into one of these beautiful kits. The costick drul is running out the side of my mouth!

20190113_131634_crop_998x604-1024x620.jpg
20190113_131641_crop_1007x604-1024x614.jpg

Nice subjects guys.

Mike, definitely go the Boston!!!

Evan, giving it some serious thought. I don't have either plane in my USAAF WWII collection. The A-20G will be "Ridin High" from the 388th BS

Last edited:
Glad it's open to all countries in the Pacific '37 and later. That opens it up to a lot of yellow winged Navy birds in my stash. Still too many possibilities to choose from. Need to give it a lot more thought.

I am really looking forward to this group build, it will be my first. I am still debating whether to bring my barely started J1N1 over or start something new entirely. The majority of my kit collection is Pacific theatre so my dilemma is which to choose. I'm thinking perhaps an F1M2 Pete floatplane as I have 3 different kits to choose from. Will give this some thought and make up my mind by the start date.

Also, who could forget the AVG? Though volunteers, they were Americans fighting the Japanese before the US entered the war. ;)

Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back