GB-43 1/48 Bf-110 G-2 - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nah. The Promodeller Ju88 has a one piece radio stack and its fine.
16010303.jpg

Ah yes, but those are Dragon's molds, and Dragon was in a different league then Eduard was at the time they put out the 110. The 110 is very much a transitional kit going from short run to mainstream injection molding, which may, or may not involve as much the design philosophy as the technology itself. And given that the new Airfix Blenheim has sink marks and some annoying ejector marks whereas the 110 has neither, I think they made the best compromise for the time. Their 1/72 110 kits are in another league altogether.

Time to post an update
Everything all painted up
IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

And all put together, and ya, the seat and roll bar are a bit misaligned, earlier on I broke one side of the roll bar loose and had to re-glue the......ahem....thing
default_dry.png
. It looks worse in the pic, then in person.
IMG_1967.jpg

And a test fit, so far so good
IMG_1968.jpg

beer4.gif

Liking it Tim. Maybe I missed it but what was the reasoning behind RLM 66 for the pilot's section and 02 for the rest?
Well for me, anyway, period interior pics are a bit thin on the ground and the ones that are available seem to be a bit ambiguous or are very light in the rear for not just the 110 but the 210 and 410 as well, the preserved 110 G-4's rear cockpit is in it's original 02. I think it's more likely that it has been an assumption then proven that the rear cockpit was painted in 66, so for my own taste I've gone with the 02 rear cockpit.

imageproxy.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-649-5371-30_Pilot_im_Cockpit_einer_Messerschmitt_Me_110.jpg
rear cockpit.jpg

110 D
Bf-110 D, 1940,  Interior f.jpg

me410-detail.jpg
PhotoMe410GunMount.jpg
400080432_b396fa47ed_o.jpg

Last edited:
Weeellll we had a little boo boo.........ok maybe a big Faux Pas.......sigh, essentially glued the nose cannon base instead of the nose MG base into the nose.....
doh-1.gif

IMG_2025.jpg

Nothing else to do but man up and pull out the power tools, At first A cut off saw, and after a swipes with a scalpel I figured I would shortly be cutting my thumb in half I chucked up a milling tool to finish things off.
IMG_2027.jpg

The surprising thing is that even though I had flooded the thing the day before with Tamiya's Extra Thin, by working the knife blade I was able remove some of the plastic from the slots which saved a lot of work getting things to line up.
IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

One thing to watch for is if the front bulkhead, to which the air bottles are glued, is glued in vertically, it will not clear the cannon exit holes, so I glued mine in at an angle. I'm not doing anything more then I need to to mount the guns as I'm not opening this area up.
IMG_2046.jpg
IMG_2047.jpg

Going back to the short run analogy, the joint between the nose and the fuselage needs a bit of cleaning up, the lip on the nose that slots into the groove in the fuselage needed to be trued up with a knife as it was pretty crude and the groove in the fuselage was a bit uneven, but with a bit of care all fit very well
IMG_2048.jpg
IMG_2049.jpg

The top cover is also a bit on the short side, one could sand down the nose to suit but I think it would be better to add a shim to the back.
IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

It's also slightly high at the fuselage joint, given the thin plastic at this point I will probably sand the bottom off a touch
sFun_ridinghorse.gif

Last edited:
So after the aforementioned fiasco I managed to get the cockpit and fuselage sans nose completed.the fit is actually pretty good so very little filler used. One does have to take a fair amount of care as it's very easy to get things twisted and out of alignment. It's better not to use the panel lines as a guide as they are very slightly misaligned.
IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg
IMG_2056.jpg

Here the nose is assembled, I just installed the MG mounts, waiting for the glue to dry then it will get a coat of gloss black inside as looking through the cockpit you can see the bottom of the nose. Also added a shim to the back, waiting for that glue to dry to finish trimming.
IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

And getting the wings ready for some assembly. The tabs need to be thinned to fit into the fuselage slots, a couple of swipes with a knife fixes that problem.
IMG_2059.jpg

smiley-eatdrink048.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back