GB-43 1/48 Bf-110 G-2 - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys, sorry I've been a bit distracted lately, so more progress in the near future.
Geo, it might be me but I didn't have a lot of luck with it using Vallejo paint, and no luck using Lifecolor. Maybe a few more kicks at the can but I'm tempted to try something else.

Not very impressed with Vallejo myself so far, and all the extra stuff you have to buy to clean, reduce, stop it from tip drying etc. Near $45.00 for all the product at the local hobby store for three little bottles. Stick to Testors Model master enamels and the $7.00/litre of mineral spirits that does everything as long as I can. Call me a die hard.....ok call me cheap !

Cheap is good :)

Actually once I got the hang of them Vallejo work pretty good. I only buy their thinner and use good old alcohol for clean up. What I do for tip dry is use a Qtip on the needle and then give it a good blast of paint. I also like their clear coats, semi-gloss is a better Matt I find so that I mix it with a bit of gloss to get the finish I like.
Where they dropped the ball, for me anyway, is their camo color matching, so I don't use them for that.
I've moved away from enamels myself and gone for the lacquers, Gunze acrylics and Tamiya for the most part, the later 2 which clean up and strip very nicely with alcohol also. I use Gunze clears for the base of weathering and decals etc. and once that is all finished I may use the Vallejo's for the final finish, depending on how things look

I've got my Gunze on ebay from a seller in Hong Kong, search for seller "autofittings". Usually takes about 10 to 14 days for them to arrive. You can also get them online from Sunward Hobbies in Toronto, which has excellent service, as well as Spraygunner, in Florida, which is an excellent online supplier of airbrushes and parts thereof if you can't find what you are looking for locally.

I almost used Sunward. In the header it says..."Free shipping on qualified orders over $60.00!" This is only to major centers. The list of where they won't ship for free is larger It also says "Minimum shopping cart is 15.00. Orders from 15.00 to 59.99 have a 8.99 shipping charge" My quoted shipping price is over 17$

It's been a while since I'd used them, used to be free shipping for orders over $50, so they must have taken a bath compliments of of Canada Post. I see also they are out of stock on all the Gunze products which is a shame.

Some movement........
rub eye.gif

IMG_1954.jpg

cold.gif

Thank you Gentlemen
bow.gif

The individual radio components might seem to be a bit fiddly, QuickBoost does make a radio wall for anyone looking for an easy way out, but for my purposes they work better. All painted up and ready to go in. Eduard, thoughtfully, put the attachment points on the bottom
thumbsup.gif

IMG_1955.jpg

and in place
IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg
IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

The Bordfunkers Office is now complete, now on to the cockpit

beers.gif

The individual boxes for the various radios was, in my opinion, Eduard being a bit cute, just like when they made each exhaust stack individually to be mounted on the header. Thank God they listened to the criticisms and mended their ways so that they are now producing some outstanding kits.

Actually, I think the individual, vrs. the as a whole molding may have had more to do with their mold making/injection ability then just being silly. If you think about it, although I'm not certain about the exhaust, molding the radio wall in one piece would most likely have resulted in some rather annoying sink marks which would be visible in the cockpit. As for the exhaust I think molding them all in one piece would make them difficult to get out of the mold especially with the required back plate, certainly could be done, but at what expense, My view is that it doing things the way they were done just happened to be the most viable option at the time, fiddly yes, but still doable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back