GB-43 1/48 Bf-110 G-2 - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you all for the kind remarks, so here's where it's at at the moment, got the upper nose fitted, the shim I think worked out much better then sanding down the lower part to fit.
IMG_2075.jpg

and all masked up to paint the sill, I use Badgers Stynelrez when I'm not using Mr.Surfacer. Stynelrez can be easily thinned with alcohol if it seems to be getting a bit on the thick side, I use Tamiya's X20A, which I no longer use to thin paint with and I still have a lot of. I've tried Vallejo's but I don't get on well with it.
IMG_2079.jpg

Now the main fuselage is finished up except for the set of gauges behind the pilot, I'll ad the tail planes after I put on the main wings......
IMG_2081.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

Oh yes......the wings.....the way Eduard engineered the landing gear things are a bit delicate and easily broken if one is not careful, so having the nacelles partially assembled even is a bit of an insurance policy
IMG_2060.jpg

Ah yes......sticky outy bits looking to get mangled, the air tanks and the landing gear has to go in before the wing halves are joined
IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

I just glue the wing halve up to the flap line from the fuselage joint, and make sure everything is squared up, they are warped a bit but the trialing edge behind the wheel bay has a lip so that section is quite straight. Once that bit has set up I flood the tabs with Extra Thin sand hold them together with a pair of pliers as they won't close up on their own.
IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_2082.jpg

free-sign-smileys-972.gif

Nice work there. I have heard a lot of negatives about the fit of this kit, particularly the gun bay- if you want it closed rather than open. however you are taming the beast admirably. I have the 1/72 weekend version, which i hope will go together without too much fuss.

Well done! Cheers Greg

Hey Tim. Here's a tip to help with the wing to fuselage fit. You may find that, because there are two large mating flat surface provided, the fit will be imperfect unless the surfaces are exactly parallel and flat which is very unlikely. To remedy this, you could consider hollowing out material in the center of the mating surfaces, leaving just the outer, visible bits to be your glue surfaces. This will eliminate any tendency for the mating surfaces to rock on a high point somewhere in the middle of the joint.

I did this on my build but unfortunately didn't photograph the process. Keep up the great work.

Nice work there. I have heard a lot of negatives about the fit of this kit, particularly the gun bay- if you want it closed rather than open. however you are taming the beast admirably. I have the 1/72 weekend version, which i hope will go together without too much fuss.

Well done! Cheers Greg

Thanks Greg
bow.gif

Oh those 1/72 kits are real gems, if only they would have engineered the 1/48 kits the same way......
I have yet to glue the wings and engines to the fuselage, the fit is good enough that you can dry fit them and they will stay together. One thing I did was to run some plastic strips around the engine attachment points which will give a better surface to glue to and one can at the moment set them in place without glue.

IMG_0188.jpg
IMG_1511.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

I will be finishing them soon I think

Hey Tim. Here's a tip to help with the wing to fuselage fit. You may find that, because there are two large mating flat surface provided, the fit will be imperfect unless the surfaces are exactly parallel and flat which is very unlikely. To remedy this, you could consider hollowing out material in the center of the mating surfaces, leaving just the outer, visible bits to be your glue surfaces. This will eliminate any tendency for the mating surfaces to rock on a high point somewhere in the middle of the joint.

I did this on my build but unfortunately didn't photograph the process. Keep up the great work.

Thanks Andy, that is an excellent tip. I do actually do that very thing on all kits that fit together in that way including tail planes. I've actually been working on the wing fit before I got them started. At the moment there is a very small gap for about 1/3 of the upper wing joint which I'm just going to fill with some Mr.Surfacer. The gaps in the pics are larger then actual fit.
IMG_2083.jpg
IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

beers.gif

With life, things and Yaks getting in the way I haven't done much of anything to this for a while, but with the fit issues on the Yak engines, it's time to pick this one back up for a bit I think. The nacelle oil coolers are a bit lacking in detail, it's an easy fix if one wants to save a few bucks on etch parts, I just use .010 plastic rods, and looks well enough to my eye.
IMG_2086.jpg
IMG_2087.jpg
IMG_2089.jpg
IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

To avoid scratching the paint off the surface I taped up the ends of the tweezers
IMG_2096.jpg

As there really isn't much by the way of glueing surface, despite apperances, I gave the joints a liberal coating of super glue
IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2094.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

I didn't bother doing up the backside as they won't be seen by any rational human being anyway
cyclops.png

The engraving on the coolant radiator flaps was very faint so needed to be enhanced slightly with a sharp object.....
IMG_2090.jpg

hobbyhorse.gif

But it doesn't look cheap. Well done Tim and good to see you back at it.

BTW, the GB ends this coming Sunday. If you think you can finish with a 1 to 2 week extension then let us know.

Last edited:
But it doesn't look cheap. Well done Tim and good to see you back at it.

BTW, the GB ends this coming Sunday. If you think you can finish with a 1 to 2 week extension then let us know.

I haven't been getting in much bench time lately and I don't want to rush it so I doubt I'll be able to finish it within that time frame, but I will keep the door open and I do appreciate the offer.

I definitely will, no problem there
grin.gif

The week before last I took a tumble, it's not like it's the first time I've lost it on a patch of ice, but this was a little different as I've never had both feet go airborne at the same time before, the effect being similar to that of launching your self backwards and landing flat on concrete, which is essentially what happened. To quote "Roy" from Blade Runner, THAT HURT. It took a bit to reboot the ole diaphragm and get the oxygen system back on line, once I got that up and running and after running a nervous system diagnosis to ensure all connections were functioning properly, a mechanical systems check was initiated and it was immediately noted that there was an area of distress and trauma in the upper torso and within the breathing apparatus, which slowed, but did not restrict movement, fortunately. It was also noted later during a professional mechanical inspection that the CPU protective apparatus had recorded an impact but nothing significant enough to log any negative feed back, strange that, but I guess taking into account the materials, density, and thickness there of
default_bleh.gif
.........kudos, I suppose, to the system protections auto response program for maximizing the effectiveness of said apparatus
default_banghead.gif

The plus side, if you can call it that, was that this event occurred at the beginning of my shift walking to my shunter, so I got to go home early and the 4 days I spent doped up in bed recovering are going to be covered.......eventually.....the down side of that being I wasn't surrounded by a gaggle of concubines stuffing grapes down my throat and all that that entails
default_crying.gif

Although I've been back at work for the last week, things are still a bit stiff, and I really haven't been up to doing much of anything. One thing I did do though, was fix this moron moment, I didn't click how dumb this was until after I finished putting it together, but then I was to lazy to fix it. When the second moisture trap, which is just a convenient place for the gauge and as a regulator, began to fill up with water, I figured it was about time I did something with it.
IMG_1929.jpg

So I fixed that. I know, 10 minute job, but.......... reasons
default_bleh.gif

IMG_2164.jpg

connie_mini_bump.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back