GB 45 Split Build - Battle of Britain / Aircraft in Foreign Service and Minor Nations (incl Lend Lease)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'll be checking in on your build. The markings will look similar to this

They had these:

1580381453396.png

I'm researching this beast a one-off, experimental camo scheme applied to this Norwegian Gladiator flown by Finn Thorsager.

9d5017a4716ba2f2dc7fc85598541eb4.jpg

There's minimal info on the colours involved (some are suggesting Italian paints) and I'd love to know what the stencils on the ski fairings say - probably "No Step" in Norwegian!

Very cool Andy. Nothing on the stencil but according to Mushroom Magazine Special, "Gloster Gladiator"..."The Norwegian Gladiators were Aluminum doped overall. National markings consisted of red/white/blue/white/blue/red stripes above and below the wings and on the rudder. Aircraft serial were in black on the fuselage, aft of the cockpit. One aircraft, 433, was given a crude Dark Earth honeycomb camouflage pattern"

Very cool Andy. Nothing on the stencil but according to Mushroom Magazine Special, "Gloster Gladiator"..."The Norwegian Gladiators were Aluminum doped overall. National markings consisted of red/white/blue/white/blue/red stripes above and below the wings and on the rudder. Aircraft serial were in black on the fuselage, aft of the cockpit. One aircraft, 433, was given a crude Dark Earth honeycomb camouflage pattern"
Dark Earth pattern, not Dark Green as has been shown in that profile ?

I would say it is the Khaki colour what is a kind of a dark brown with the green tinge. I would say it should be the FS 30118.

Thanks for that Geo. I wonder how they came to the conclusion it was Dark Earth. I have seen reference to 2 B&W pics of this airplane, though have found just the one above. As you've stated, all other pics of Norwegian Gladiators show the silver finish with the insignia as described. 433 above does not have insignia on the upper wings leading me to believe that the wing uppers were overpainted.

Someone quoted the following passage from the book "Fornebu 9. April" by Cato Guhnfeldt:

"On the experimental aircraft, Gladiator 433, areas of the wings and fuselage (the dark areas) are partially covered with brown-green (khaki) and grey, wavy lines that blend into one another. The remainder of the fuselage sides and bottom (the light areas) are painted in a mix of matte silver and light blue, intended to make the aircraft as inconspicuous as possible when seen against the sky. Areas of the top of the wings (the light areas) are instead painted grey or grey-green."

I don't remember the source but I have added the FS number to the colour list while been looking for info on the Norwegian and Finnish AFs some time ago.

fs30118.jpg

Thanks for that Geo. I wonder how they came to the conclusion it was Dark Earth. I have seen reference to 2 B&W pics of this airplane, though have found just the one above. As you've stated, all other pics of Norwegian Gladiators show the silver finish with the insignia as described. 433 above does not have insignia on the upper wings leading me to believe that the wing uppers were overpainted.

Someone quoted the following passage from the book "Fornebu 9. April" by Cato Guhnfeldt:

"On the experimental aircraft, Gladiator 433, areas of the wings and fuselage (the dark areas) are partially covered with brown-green (khaki) and grey, wavy lines that blend into one another. The remainder of the fuselage sides and bottom (the light areas) are painted in a mix of matte silver and light blue, intended to make the aircraft as inconspicuous as possible when seen against the sky. Areas of the top of the wings (the light areas) are instead painted grey or grey-green."
where it says "mix of matte silver and light blue" do you guys see a swirl pattern of light blue on the silver area's shown in Andy's picture ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back