GB 49 Split Build - WW2 Night Fighter / Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Its one month away from the start somewhere in the world. Time to start pondering. I'll be going with the second option of this build, Airfix's 1:48 Spitfire Mk.I. This will be the 57 O.T.U option to go with its stripey nose brother I built several years ago. I started a thread somewhere about the colours, still looking for it. It is confirmed that the nose is yellow by the pilot, but the shade is unknown. Airfix give the bottom colour as Beige Green (appox Sky) and the fuselage stripe as Matt Duck Egg Blue

1609475786532.png

So for the "nightfighter" category, I have a Promodeller Bf110G-4 which, as I discovered after I bought it for 15 bucks, has a serious dimensional issue with the engine nacelles. I've not looked into it deeper but I assume it's fixable with either after market parts or by building up with putty.

Failing that, I have a Hasegawa Bf109K-4 and a scary ICM Spitfire Mk XVI low back moulded in soft, white plastic. The 109 is potentially the most straight forward build and would take up the least amount of shelf space.

Then again, I could call anything left in my stash my "favourite aircraft" and no-one would be the wiser.....

Good evening everyone;

a GB Night fighter ?? It is one of my favorite subjects.

What are the modalities to take part in it?

Level kits, I have some ideas for 1/48 assemblies:

_ Bf 110 G-4 / R3 / R8 with Eberspächer exhausts (Eduard W.E)
_ Do 215B-5 (ICM)
_ Ju 88C-6b (ICM)
_ Me 262A-1a / U2 V056 (Revell or Hobby Boss)
_ FW 190A-6 / R11 (starting from an A-8 Eduard)
_ Arado 234B-2/N (Hasegawa 1/48)

Cordially;
mathieu "Soclakit86"

Last edited:
From a few web sites about "Sky" paint, Edgar Brooks figures a possible mix up of paints at squadron level with the introduction of "Sky Type S" paint. Band is definitely a different shade than the under surface

Last edited:
I have limited knowledge on the subject Geo but if a difference between the underside colour and band are evident then there must be something to it.

Hi everyone;

that's my choice of subject for this GB is done.

It will be the Ju-88C-6 from Dragon at 1/48 :

0061.jpg

What I will do with this decoration from the ICM kit, that of the W.Nr 360219 / R4 + FM machine of 4 / NJG-2 of Lt. Wilhelm Beier based in Leeuwarden in Holland in October 1942

junker22.jpg

junker23.jpg

I keep the ICM kit for later because I will do it with the antennas of the FuG 220

Cordially.

I'm sure everyone thinks I'll do a Spit as my fav; but I am going to ask if a Ho-229 would qualify for the night fighter option.
HO-29.JPG

Okay, perhaps 20 days till 1st Feb. But I have questions!!!!!
Now I am going for "Fav AC", well sorta. the Spit Mk-IX will qualify since a Davidson flew one at the end of action with 93 Sqn out of Italy.
So my big question is........ besides the photo attached, does anyone have any other?
I can only find One of a Mk-IX with the A*HN marking!!!! How can this be?
I recon it will be imposs to find the Davidson AC, but surely there must be more photos?
I have a 1/48th Airfix kit for this one!
1_GB49_A-HN.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back