GB 49 Split Build - WW2 Night Fighter / Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seems like i have a choice of either my Westland Whirlwind or my Hasegawa Fw190 A-3.

wouldn't mind doing a Wurger with a tatzelwurm, will need to look for a decal set for that though !

Yes please.

if you think they will be no good I'll do one of the kits subjects :lol:

kitsworld do a set of fighter markings but right now i cant justify spending £12 on it for just the wurms.
had to replace my mini in the summer and ive not received full pay for 9 of the last 12 months

Last edited:
Yes please.

if you think they will be no good I'll do one of the kits subjects :lol:

kitsworld do a set of fighter markings but right now i cant justify spending £12 on it for just the wurms.
had to replace my mini in the summer and ive not received full pay for 9 of the last 12 months

Here you go Karl. Sorry for the poor quality of the pic but the decal is in a plastic sleeve and covered in wax paper. I think these are remnants from an ancient Monogram kit built over 40 years ago and I don't know whether the chevrons go with the Tatzelwurms.

20210117_083535.jpg

Pretty sure these are the only ones I have. I used a much more recent set on a BoB 109E. Happy to put these in the mail if you like but, as I said, you may find them useless.

I've found that old Monogram decals work fine, if coated in a clear varnish before use.
Of course, they could be scanned, and then printed on to decal paper. I did just that for the two 1/32nd scale Bf109Es some time back, then "filled in" with the relevant pant colour, once in position, where needed.
Pic below shows an example.

Bf109 and Tiffie 075.jpg

I pulled out my Promodeller Bf110G-4 to look closer at the undersized nacelles. Yep, pretty bad. This is one of he halves lined up against 1/48 Kagero plans. A good 3mm too shallow and the spinner is a good 2mm too small. There's a correction set but it's hard to find and costs more than I paid for this kit.

20210118_150853.jpg

This kit was an impulse buy at a model show and I got it for reasonably cheap. I can see why. A shame because the rest of it looks pretty nice. I need to think about whether I'm going to tackle this thing building up the difference with milliput or putty or do something simpler.

Been lucky with my subject.

i was looking at a Jg 3 Fw 190 A-3 yellow 7 with yellow Tatzelwurms but this had two shields, one on either side of the cockpit which i dont have.
been looking in my books today and found a profile of yellow 10 and i have the numerals and bar needed.
But then it was bollocks its an A-4 !
Then looking at the Hasegawa kit it has all the parts for an A-4 in it so am very happy right now ! :lol:

Andy, just looking at a freshly started build of Revell's latter 110G-2 offering (some different parts from ProModeller G-4) and the guy mentions this...

"The wing join on this kit is a bit unusual in that it is asymmetrical and if you build the two wing have separately and join them to the fuselage it is extremely difficult to get a clean join. I chose to glue the two bottoms together so that my wing join will be more conventional."

Read that twice and still doesn't make sense but I will keep it in mind when (if) I dig up the kit again. I haven't ruled out starting with my Bf190K-4 as my ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE AIRCAFT for the duration of this GB,

I was just looking at the pretty picture. I had to find some instructions and I think what he's getting at is glue the lower wings together first. Glue these to the finished fuselage and then add the upper wings to their respective lowers

1611096541589.png

That may be referring to this problem ( shown below ). From memory, I filled the gap with plastic strip.
There was also a mis-alignment, forward of the wing, on the lower fuselage ( arrowed ), which needed filling too. I think the latter may have been due to some warping in the fuselage halves, but after so many years, I can't remember.

Gap 110.JPG

Yeah I get it now. I just checked the part and the bottom of the fuselage is integral with one of the wing halves. Very odd detail and I can see why it would cause issues.

Good evening everyone;

I pulled out my Promodeller Bf110G-4 to look closer at the undersized nacelles. Yep, pretty bad. This is one of he halves lined up against 1/48 Kagero plans. A good 3mm too shallow and the spinner is a good 2mm too small. There's a correction set but it's hard to find and costs more than I paid for this kit.

View attachment 609391

This kit was an impulse buy at a model show and I got it for reasonably cheap. I can see why. A shame because the rest of it looks pretty nice. I need to think about whether I'm going to tackle this thing building up the difference with milliput or putty or do something simpler.

Personally, I think that it is not visible once the assembled kit is out of the box. The general appearance of the Bf 110 G-4 remains well understood by the Revell / Pro Modeller model.

I still have 3 Bf 110G in stock (1 Revell and 2 Eduard) and will not take my head to redo the engine nacelles, except at the level of the main gears which can be easily improved

Cordially

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts but these kinds of things are a matter of personal taste. I prefer my models to be as accurate as possible and I find the undersized nacelle and spinners to be quite noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back