GB 49 Split Build - WW2 Night Fighter / Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ages ago, at the dawn of the internet, I found a site (can't find it now) that would look up aircraft by squadron code. So I looked up my initials ASM. Turns out there were a number of Lancaster bombers in 166 Sqn with that marking. When I saw a Lanc kit with the codes to make "MY" aircraft, I had to get it.
Lanc1.jpg

I choose to make NE112 mostly because the wireless operator, D. Pleasence went on to star on stage and screen. Since I haven't found a picture of this aircraft, I'm going to act as pilot and create my own nose art.
Image9.jpg

I found a cat and a yellow circle decal in the stash. I'm going to pass on creating the correct serial, they are all of 1/32 high.

Well guys, our good friend Terry did me a huge favour in bidding on and winning an Ebay bid for the ultra-rare Koster conversion set that allows one to surgically convert the Revell/Promodeller Do217E kit into a night fighter version (J-1, J-2, or N-1). I had mentioned my interest in this set years ago and somehow Terry remembered it, found it, and has sent it on its way to me. I now hope to enter this project in GB49 but frankly have some doubts that I'll finish it on time as it's a large model and there will be lots of chopping and splicing to make this Frankenstein.

I have found and downloaded 3 books on line and have yet to find any pictures of one of the schemes for which the conversion set provides decals. The scheme, coded +FM of "NJG-1", is shown here:

Capture.JPG

If anyone has info and/or pictures on this bird that they could share, I'd appreciate seeing it.

Thanks Geo. GR. Morrison 3 years ago in this thread said there are no known pics of this machine. David E. Brown sent me a very grainy photo of an NJG3 bird that I don't think is the same as the one Koster depicts. The rest he sent me are N-2's which the conversion set doesn't support.

There was a Davidson assigned to the Dam Busters.
His plane crashed on the way to the training base
and was never given credit for being assigned.

I can't imagine building Anything 144th.
Hoping it never comes up as a category in a GB!!!!!!

Things are going apace now. I should be able to paint the camo on both by the weekend. If things go well I'm looking at this.

1615333324513.png

Bill's done the cover so I thought I would do Act II....

1615333432967.png

Couple things before I start. The seat has flare holders at the front. I have a PR.XIX book and though the pic isn't the best, I can't see them, Would it be correct to have them for this version? Airfix calls for the wheel wells to be painted interior green which to me seems odd. I have a photo of the above aircraft and we'll get to that if and when I do this. Not shown in the kit is a whip antenna on the spine. Also, the photo shows the spinner as a light colour, almost Sky. It's definitely not red. I have a bottle of Model Master P.R.U. Blue bought sometime in the last century. This will be my first foray into spraying enamel. I've already warned the missus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back