Geedee's P-51D Cockpit Project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers guys, you are the best !

And abject apologies....I don't think any-one noticed, but my 'hangar' shots had the Stars and Bars upside down !!!:oops:. so I've binned them and taken a few hasty shots this morning to replace them with. I do apologise and will have the ground crew in (me) for a "My office and NO Coffee" type of chat !!

Looks fantastic in the blue paint Gary! I wish I had that kind of time to work on my pit. I need a couple of uninterrupted hours to make up the cockpit opening sills, but haven't been able to find it.
I've sent you a PM

Mate,

Just tripped over this..ridiculously cheap...at least compared to what I pay for Spitfire bits...

Evil Bay Item number: 250891933224

Not sure if you have one/need one..I see Glen has one.

Anyhow..just a heads up,

D

wow Geedee

nice build.
I'm new here at this forum.but what a great place to be.

i was building a P-51D cockpit myself(years back for flightsim) but with the lack of info.it's in hold for the moment.
but then i came across this site with tons of info.

at give me inspiration to start building again.
everything well be scrap build with no function.just for the look.
but will try to make the flaps ,rudder,ailerons trim to work and the throttle quadrant.

man!! your pit looks stunning.

keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Gary, I came across this photo of a P-51 cockpit being restored at the Minnesota Air National Guard Museum, and I thought the way they did the canopy frame might work for your pit. Something to think about.

Attachments

• museum-021b.jpg
    museum-021b.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 188
Good to see another P-51 Cockpit project out there.

Gary's cockpit has to be seen to be believed. A true work of art + Gary is incredibly generous with his time and is an incredible motivator.

Can't wait to see more progress!

Cheers

J

Awww shucks fella's :oops:

If you need a proper "Old Glory", Gary, I can send one over your way

I am now embarassed by this fake. Not sure how many stars would have been on her back in 44/45 as I would like to get a 'period' one to use for the display.

man!! your pit looks stunning.

Cheers James. welcome to the site and please, start a thread on your '51 project. If we can help at all, just ask !

Gary, I came across this photo of a P-51 cockpit being restored at the Minnesota Air National Guard Museum, and I thought the way they did the canopy frame might work for your pit.

OMFG !. How spooky is that...another '51 on the same lines as mine (and she's original to boot !) down to the section saved, the wheels and the angled subframe. I want her for a stable-mate for mine !!!. I might drop the guys at the museum a line to see if we can help each other out.

Good to see another P-51 Cockpit project out there.
Jason, please start a thread on yours. You have a unique project on your hands. Start with the arrival pics and to where you are now and the plans and background. I absolutely guarantee you will not regret it !. I'm still hunting that missing ali extrusion for you, I've not forgotten.

But get rid of that flag, it's an abomination
Too righty mate. Rest assured it will never appear anywhere with my babe, ever again. Probably end up using as cleaning rags

I've been doing some serious thinking about my '51 and have a few changes in mind to be made over the next few weeks before her next outing. This one is the 'biggie' for this year and i want her to look absolutely spot on. I'll add some piccies as they happen.

Once again chaps, I am blown away by your support.

Now....I have a question for you...any recommendations for getting her nose-art painted on a leather A2 ? Do any of you guys do this ?

Gary, The first pic is what you should be looking for. The 48 star flag used from July 4, 1912 to July 3, 1959

I wouldn't throw out that old one though. I think it's a 38 star flag used from July 4, 1877 to July 3, 1890, so its either an original antique, or a copy. There were many variations of the pattern of the stars with that flag, but the second pic is of an original just like yours, every other star upside down and all.

Attachments

• 38 star.jpg
    38 star.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 192
  • US_flag_48_stars_svg.png
    US_flag_48_stars_svg.png
    3 KB · Views: 205
Now that's what I was asking about regarding the stars - something to do with when States joined the Union maybe?
Probably (almost certainly) not an original, just going off the 'look', but maybe a good repro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back