Geedee's P-51D Cockpit Project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Everybody's working on their cockpits, first Tony, then Darryl, and now you Gary.

You're up next mate.... as Larry would say "git'er done !"

Anytime it makes it more usable it's a lot better

Cheers Aaron, Amen to that !

Good stuff Gary. Does this mean a Tesco's trolley is now disabled ?!!!!

Terry.....Shhhhhhhhh ! :)

Looking good mate!

Cheers dude

Do you get much wheel shimmy on take off

Absolutely no-idea mate, I've normally got the instruction manual held up in front of me face so I couldn't see anyway !!!! :)

I actually know of at least one PFA-type aircraft flying in the UK with a shopping trolley castor fro a tail wheel !!!
Sounds like a good one for the The What is it? Game :lol:

Attachments

• KLO-A-210L.jpg
    KLO-A-210L.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 199
Its winter time...must be time get back in the shed with doors closed, heater on, and do some more on my babe.

Yeah righty !

Having put on around 14lbs weight in extra warm clothing to combat the sub zero temps outside, I ventured into the shed this morning...and then found I had one of my overhead lights decided to throw its teddy out of the cot and go bang !. End result...have to have the shed doors wide open to get the light I needed. Grrrrrr. So before I lost all feeling in my hands and feet, I managed to get a few more bits done, and I'm typing slowly as I havent yet got full feeling back back in fingers...surprised windows doesn't have a defrost setting !.

You will see on the '51D instrument shroud that there are two 'bulges stamped on each side that provides rigidity to the shroud. I dont have a press so have made some 'bulges out of some steel stock I had on the floor. Once filled, smoothed and painted upto match the shroud, I think they'll be OK. First piccie shows the bulges I mean...
a1.jpg

Then, the bits I've made to attach when the shroud comes of later when I reprofile the rear hoop on the windshield. Obviously, on account its colder than a Polar Bears mating tackle outside, I havent put any filler or black paint on....the primer caused enough hassle thank you and I was getting fedup with inventing swear words :)
a4.jpg
a5.jpg
a6.jpg
a7.jpg

Having gone as far as I could on that little job, I've made a start on trying to build the throttle quadrant. Nothing is cut out yet as I had started to suffer from frozen extremeties ...Oooeerrrrr missus !.... but I've started on marking out the outer quadrant name plate and I have also made a start on the Throttle and Mixture levers. Still got a looong way to go, but I'm hoping that my son will finish repairing his car soon and I can get my tools and stuff back, so's I can really get stuck in.

Attachments

• a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 193
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 165
Nice improvising with the shroud bumps Gary, they should look perfect after filler and paint. Nice start on the throttle quadrant too. I imagine that will be a lot of work. I was incredibly lucky stumbling onto mine. Haven't seen on for sale since.

It must be the time of year to start up again. Just yesterday I bought a piece of hardwood that will be the core of the cockpit sill for my 47. The problems involved building that piece and attachments is what's kept me away from it for so long, but I'm determined to do it now (that's if SWMBO will allow me some time in the basement) :lol:

Keep at it Gary, and try not to loose any fingers to frostbite!

T Bolt
Nice improvising with the shroud bumps Gary, they should look perfect after filler and paint. Nice start on the throttle quadrant too. I imagine that will be a lot of work. I was incredibly lucky stumbling onto mine. Haven't seen on for sale since.
It must be the time of year to start up again. Just yesterday I bought a piece of hardwood that will be the core of the cockpit sill for my 47. The problems involved building that piece and attachments is what's kept me away from it for so long, but I'm determined to do it now (that's if SWMBO will allow me some time in the basement)
Keep at it Gary, and try not to loose any fingers to frostbite!

Cheers Glenn. You get stuck into that beast of yours, cos you can bet that there are very very few people out there that have what you have in the basement !. You should let SWMBO know that you are on the lookout for a suitable model for your nose art, that she' the first choice and the sooner you get to work, the sooner the day will come when you take both her and your '47 out to meet the public for the first time ! ... besides which, every one knows that the fighter jocks always have the best looking gals hanging on their arm :thumbleft:

evangilder
Looking good, Gary! Your attention to all the details are what is going to make this project look great

Cheers Eric. Going to need some decent pics of yours truly sat in the seat against a suitable backdrop when she's finished....might need to tie this in with a visit over here to Legends...this year perhaps...hint hint ?

Aaron Brooks Wolters
True hard core. Suffering the cold to get the job done

Hey Aaron...never been called hard-core before !. Now thats a compliment dude !!

Rocketeer
Excellent stuff old chap!!! Well done.....

Cheers Tone. Its all down to your infectious enthusiasm !

Gnomey
Lovely stuff Gary!

Hugh, thanks for that mate, much appreciated

A4K
Damn, that was just a wheel? I thought it was robot hand holding a frisbee...
Gary, sweet work mate!
LOL, cheers dude. We need you to start one of these babes !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back